I need lentil and pasta recipes.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 05-04-2006, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
without tomatoes, onion, dairy or soy!!! Yeah, I know

My DD has food allergies/sensitivities and I have been off these foods (+ a couple others) since Nov. I have adapted pretty well, but still have quite a bit of pasta and dried lentils in my pantry because most of my yummy recipes use the forbidden foods -esp. tomatoes! How I miss them!! Oh, and I'm not crazy about pasta salad with Italian dressing - never have liked that -but I am open to any other ideas!! Please help! I want to do the pantry challenge, and I have lots of these to use up

Thanks!!

mama to two sweet girliesdust.gifhearts.gifrainbow1284.gif 
#2 of 7 Old 05-04-2006, 07:06 PM

There's a delicious recipe on epicurious.com for curried lentil soup. Just made it a few nights ago. Of course, it calls for both tomatoes and onions. You could sub garlic (if that's not a sensitive food) for the onions and just add more veggies to make up for the tomatoes like sweet potatoes, carrots, celery. This might sound strange, but some fresh or canned pineapple might make up for the acidity and texture the tomatoes would provide. If you've never used epicurious.com, I highly recommend it. It's free and has a great search engine. Just put lentil as the key word and even pick the course and it gives you all the recipes ever published in Gourmet and Bon Appetit.

HTH
Olivia
#3 of 7 Old 05-16-2006, 05:58 PM

I make a recipe for fish (pan-fried tilapia) served on a lentil pancake. This would be good as a base for a variety of things, marinated chicken breast, a pork chop, other cuts of fish. (It is great with the tilapia, though.)

It does use scallions. Can you (or DD) tolerate green onions? If not, you could just omit them.

The lentil pancakes consist of 1 egg white, 1/2 cup cooked lentils (drained), 1/4 red bell pepper (diced fine), 1 finely chopped scallion, and 1 tbsp flour. You whisk the egg white until fluffy, then fold in the other ingredients. Make two circles of the mixture, and cook over med-high heat for about a minute on each side.

If you want to do it with the tilapia, you'd use 2 6-oz. tilapia fillets, one lemon, 1 garlic clove, and 1 tbsp chopped parsley. Marinate the fish in the refrigerator with the juice of 1/2 a lemon, the crushed garlic clove, the parsley, and some salt and pepper. (You could add a little oil to the marinade, or spray the fillets lightly with oil before cooking.) To cook: remove from the marinade, pat dry, saute about 5 minutes on each side until golden.

The other half of the lemon is supposed to go into a mango salsa, which calls for mango and tomato (one of your forbiddens, I know.) You could still do a tomato-less fruit salsa for the garnish. Lay a fillet over each pancake and garnish with fruit or whatever.
#4 of 7 Old 05-16-2006, 06:06 PM

I think pasta is great with lots of greens, like broccoli rabe, spinach, kale.

Try a penne/Swiss chard/pine nuts concoction.

Cook a pound of pasta as directed. Toast pine nuts (about 1/3 cup) in a small skillet over low heat until golden, tossing often, and sprinkle with sea salt. Cook 5 cloves garlic in olive oil over medium heat, then add washed/drained/chopped Swiss chard (~1 1/2 lbs) and raise the heat to med-high. Sprinkle with salt and stir until it begins to wil. Cover and steam until tender, about 6 minutes.

Drain pasta and reserve 1 cup of cooking water. Add reserved water to the chard, along with 1 tbsp of butter. (You aren't doing any dairy, right? Omit the butter, add a little olive oil.) Season with S&P, add drained pasta, stir well, cook together for about two minutes. Garnish with pine nuts. (You would usually garnish with a bit of parmesan, but not if you're dairy free.)

I have a pasta cookbook that is organized by vegetables, things to cook with pasta from A to Z. Look into a cookbook that deals with farmer's market produce....I saw a new one when I was working in a library a few years ago, and I recently saw that same cookbook referenced online but I don't remember the name of it. A library with a good cookbook selection (many public libraries have lots of cookbooks) might have it.
#5 of 7 Old 05-16-2006, 06:16 PM

Okay, that cookbook I mentioned before is Local Flavors: Cooking and Eating From America's Farmers' Markets, by Deborah Madison.

And my fab pasta with veggies cookbook is called Pasta Harvest: Delicious Recipes Using Vegetables at Their Seasonal Best, by Janet Fletcher. Take a look in your local library for either of those!

Here is an easy recipe I've been making about once a week since discovering it. It's for a lentil dal. The only thing it takes that you don't want is onion... As an onion lover, I'd be sad to omit them, but you'd have to. You could use 3 cups stock and 1 cup water if you don't want to use the Rapunzel's. (I only buy the no-salt added Rapunzels, so I add some salt to the recipe.)

2 tablespoons olive oil
½ onion, diced
1 garlic clove, minced
1 cup red lentils
4 cups water
1 cube Rapunzel Sea Salt & Herbs bouillon cube
½ teaspoon ground turmeric
1 tablespoon ginger root, minced

Heat the olive oil over med-high heat, sautee the garlic (since you're not adding onion) about three or four minutes, until just beginning to brown. You might consider adding some celery or bell pepper instead.... Add the rest of the ingredients, cook at a gentle boil for 30 minutes. The lentils will be falling apart.

(optional) At this point, you can chop up a few greens into very small pieces and add them, cooking another few minutes to heat through.

This is great on its own, or with some brown basmati rice.
#6 of 7 Old 05-17-2006, 03:17 PM

And yet another lentil post from me....

Lemony Lentils
2 tbsp butter/oil, 3 cloves garlic (minced), 2 c. yellow or brown lentils, 4 c. stock (i.e., chicken), 1 tbsp minced fresh ginger, grated lemon zest from 1 lemon, 1/4 c lemon juice, salt & pepper, chopped cilantro.

Heat oil in a 3 qt pan over med-high heat; add garlic & saute ~1 minute (just beginning to brown) Add lentils & stir well, then add stock. Cover and simmer until tender but not mushy (~20 to 30 min.) Stir in ginger, zest, juice. Add salt and pepper to taste. (Lentils will thicken as they cool.) Sprinkle with chopped cilantro as you serve.

It's good with flatbread, and as an accompaniment to a rich Ethiopian-style stew....
#7 of 7 Old 05-18-2006, 12:25 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much Amy for all of those ideas! I love my lentils but my recipes are all so tomato dependant - it is great to get some fresh ideas

I am definitely going to try that lentil cake/fish idea this week. I have a couple of ripe mangoes that I was planning to make a sort of fruit salsa out of (not sure exactly what to put in it, but I am thinking red pepper and try out a few scallions....not sure if those are forbidden or not, but I think I'll experiment a little with just a few ) and this would be great to go with it. I was thinking fish tacos -but this would be something new and different - SOOOO welcome on this restricted diet!!!! Thank you!!

olivia - thanks for the website - I haven't used that one - and for the creative substitutes for tomatoes. I never thought of pineapple, but I might just try it ( I just won't tell DH - if it isn't good he'll tease me forever )! Sweet potatoes may fit well into my recipes thoough.

mama to two sweet girliesdust.gifhearts.gifrainbow1284.gif 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page