Canning - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 05-11-2006, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would like to start to can my tomato sauce. It is a meat sauce that is an old family recipe. I would really like to start canning it and selling it this summer and farmers markets and other venues. Can someone help me with this? I want to know how long the sauce would be after canning so I can tell my customers and what do I need to start canning this product and others?
#2 of 5 Old 05-11-2006, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'd be interested to know that as well. I do remember getting a great canning book out from the library(I'm talking tome sized) when I was pregnant the first time and then never getting around to the canning. Maybe if you dont get response here you should try the library.

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

#3 of 5 Old 05-11-2006, 02:16 PM

Yup, start at the library or your local Extension Office. USDA website has lots of info, too.

The first issue that jumps to mind is pH. Foods with too high a pH (not enough acid) don't keep on the shelf after canning. They still have to be refrigerated. Tomatoes are a big debatable item, because their acidity can fluctutate depending on growing conditions. I think the USDA is currently recommending the acidity of tomato-based products be lowered with citric acid. Adding the meat in your sauce would make this even more of an issue. Like I said, the pH can be adjusted to safe levels, but I haven't done a test batch myself to know if it affects flavor at all.

Remember to look in to food safety regulations, too. I know our city requires prepared foods sold at the farmer's market to be prepared in a certified, inspected commercial kitchen.
#4 of 5 Old 05-11-2006, 04:14 PM

In many states, it is NOT legal to sell home-canned food due to the risk of botulism. Definitely inquire at the state level about food safety regulations.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#5 of 5 Old 05-23-2006, 12:34 PM

You would need to use a pressure canner, not a regular boiling water canner.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page