I need help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 05-14-2006, 10:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, there once was a time when I was very good at meal planning and budgeting my money for groceries. Now that I have a baby, and I work part-time I need help finding my penny pinching self again. I was just going over my finances for the month so far and I realized that we have spend $400 on food so far and we are only half way through the month! I am shocked, mad, and totally disapointed in myself.

I do most of my shopping at Whole Foods, which partially explains the problem, but also because they have all the vegan goodies we love. Another reason why is because the quality of the food is better, and we can get all our fake meat stuff (which my husband cannot live without). I went to a conventional grocery store the other day and was looking at their produce which looked aweful, like it had been sitting there for a month! That makes me not want to shop at those stores at all, not that I want very many things from them anyways.

So I figure I just need to plan out some meals and go to the store with a list of what I need, rather than what I want, and a set about of spending money. Does this sound like a good start? Any other suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 05-15-2006, 01:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Meal planning will help a great deal I bet.

Have you looked at any other sources for your fake meat? A coworker bought a case of some product that Wild Oats no longer carries. I think it was a bit cheaper that way, and she knows she will use it.

Since fresh produce is important to you, is gardening an option - either in containers or in the ground?

Do you buy much processed/packaged food (like frozen entrees), or is it mostly the faux meat and produce that is setting you back? I've starting making breakfast and regular burritos for the freezer. So much cheaper! And probably healthier.

Good luck!

Bridget. Momma to DD (4), expecting DS - 9/09, wife to SAHD. Gardener, coffee addict, urban dweller.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page