What to do w/carrots and celery - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 05-20-2006, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have some carrots and celery that have been in my crisper for awhile (they're still good), but I need to use them up. Besides a roast, what else can I do w/these veggies? I'd like to use them in a yummy recipe. Could I cut them up and freeze them for future use? Or would they turn into mush when they're defrosted?

TIA

, , , mama to Ross , Reagan (8/29/05), Joshua (from Haiti...here NOW due to the earthquake!), and Elijah , born safely 9-8-09.
#2 of 15 Old 05-20-2006, 11:18 PM

Carrots and celery scream soup to me. I would make a minestrone or a nice chicken noodle. In fact, just made the chicken noodle this week with the kids. We make our own 'drop' noodles so the kids get to help!

+ (13 years together)= (9), (9), (2) and
#3 of 15 Old 05-20-2006, 11:46 PM - Thread Starter

I'm a certified failure at homemade noodles. They were awful! But, soup sounds wonderful. I'm leaving my boys (DH and DS) for 4 days at the end of the week and I need to have something easy for them to eat so soup it is! Thanks.

, , , mama to Ross , Reagan (8/29/05), Joshua (from Haiti...here NOW due to the earthquake!), and Elijah , born safely 9-8-09.
#4 of 15 Old 05-20-2006, 11:47 PM

I put mine in smoothies and veggie burgers.

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" --Leonardo Da Vinci
 blogging.jpg  780/2014 decluttered

#5 of 15 Old 05-21-2006, 10:40 PM

Our family loves to chop up carrots & celery with onion & potato (chopped small), saute it in a little butter for five minutes or so, add parsley and saute until cooked, maybe 5 min more. Yum from everyone!

Karen
#6 of 15 Old 05-22-2006, 01:27 AM

It's really easy to make a carrot/celery stirfry to put over rice. I just put some butter and garlic in and it's good to go.
#7 of 15 Old 05-22-2006, 01:36 AM

Add a little onion, and you have the trinity of cooking! It's the basis of TONS of kinds of soups and other recipes. Although you could peel and cut the carrots into sticks, cut the celery up, and send them in lunch boxes with a little bit of peanut butter or hummus for a snack.
#8 of 15 Old 05-22-2006, 11:38 AM

Yeah, I use them in lots of things. All kinds of soups, chicken and dumplings/chicken pot pie, casseroles, etc. Or just freeze them and use for stock down the line.

roomformore, would you mind sharing your drop noodle recipe? In the words of Baby Bear, I'm intwigued.
#9 of 15 Old 05-23-2006, 10:39 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
There's a great ginger carrots recipe in the Nourishing Traditions cookbook... that's the first thing I thought of!

Mama to Munchkin  and Chickadee ...and co-parent to 3 additional bundles of energy!
#10 of 15 Old 05-23-2006, 11:59 PM

I would grate the carrot and slice the celery thin and make a salad.
#11 of 15 Old 05-24-2006, 11:52 AM

I love the flavour that finely diced carrot and celery add to a simple marinara sauce.
#12 of 15 Old 05-24-2006, 11:59 AM

I put the onion/celery/carrot trio into a food processor and that is the base for my pasta sauce. It bulks up the consistency, like a meat alternative...
First, sautee the trio with some olive oil, add lots of garlic too, then add your tomatoes ( fresh, canned, doesn't matter ) and allow to simmer for at least one hour, stirring occaissionally. I sometimes add fresh basil near the end of the cooking process. My Italian mother-in-law also likes to add raw rib peices and meatballs, allowing them to cook slowly in the sauce....yummmm
#13 of 15 Old 05-26-2006, 09:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Um, stew. Any kind. I particularly like pork loin or turkey, but you could also make beef or chicken. Yum. Make extra and throw it in the freezer...and toss together a pie shell one day (or buy the pet ritz kind from the freezer, we can't 'cause they have milk in 'm), and you have another intstant dinner...pot pie! MMMMMmmmmmm. I should do that before it's too hot to use the oven. Although I often throw it in the crock pot (when making the stew I mean), too. I third the spaghetti sauce vote! We use them for soups all the time, as well.

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

#14 of 15 Old 05-27-2006, 03:24 PM

thanks for the good ideas mamas!:

RN, Tree-huggin, chicken-raisin'chicken3.gif, mountain climbing, yoga attempting namaste.gif Mama to Miss Areading.gif (10) and Miss K joy.gif(8). Newly re-married wife to DHpartners.gif We're pregnant!!belly.gifExpecting our new little addition this November!

#15 of 15 Old 05-27-2006, 06:36 PM

Sometimes I sautee sliced carrots and celery in butter and seasonings. Then add a bit of broth at the end of the sautee. You can use this mixture in soups, add to chicken or a sauce for meat or put on top of rice or noodles as is...

These are my stand-by veggies, along with zucchini. LOL

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page