Need your breakfast burrito ideas - Mothering Forums
Meal Planning > Need your breakfast burrito ideas
Leersia's Avatar Leersia 01:31 AM 05-23-2006
I would love to have some in the freezer that could be popped into the microwave. I know that burritos are the easiest food in the world to make, but for some reason, I just don't do them very often. Anyone have any suggestions for breakfast burritos that freeze well? Thanks very much, in advance. Oh, and by the way, we eat it all, including chorizo (which sounds awfully good in a burrito. . .)

VikingKvinna's Avatar VikingKvinna 11:41 AM 05-23-2006
Mine are simple -- scrambled egg, cheese, and salsa in a tortilla. Of course, you wouldn't put the salsa in before freezing. I agree that chorizo sounds yummy. I'd probably just scramble it along with the egg (it's fulled cooked, yes?) and tuck in to a tortilla with some shredded jack or cheddar or a combination. THen top with salsa, guac, sour cream or whatever you fancy after thawing and reheating.

Sound good? HTH! Enjoy.
HydeParkB's Avatar HydeParkB 12:06 PM 05-23-2006
We've done salsa in the freezer burritos - not a lot of salsa but enough for a kick.

My standard is eggs, cheddar, crumbled sausage. I've also done eggs, bacon, and cheese, but the bacon doesn't freeze and reheat as well. We vary the cheese and sometimes omit the sausage.

At first I would cook everything up and then layer the fillings in the burrito. But I found it's easier and quicker to cook everything up, and then mix the eggs, shredded cheese and sausage in one large bowl. Spoon that into the burritos.

For freezing, I wrap in plastic wrap and store in a larger (2 gallon) plastic bag. When reheating in the microwave for 2 minutes, I wrap in a paper towel (at work), or place under a dishtowel/napkin. This keeps the burrito from drying out.
Up