June is looming... - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 52 Old 06-12-2006, 06:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Oh, rice pudding, and I also second the rice with cinnamon and nutmeg for breakfast. I have a great rice pudding recipe, if you want it. Also, rice pilaf is yummy, and you can make it a bunch of ways.

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

#32 of 52 Old 06-13-2006, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathirynne
How big of a batch do you make at a time?
Honestly, it depends on what I have planned for the week. I also have been known to make a HUGE pot of rice and divie it up into smaller portions in order to feed my freezer. Really helps with prep time or in my case it help out when I have forgotten to make the rice and there is only 5 minutes till dinner!
#33 of 52 Old 06-14-2006, 12:01 PM

Sigh. We flunked last night. I worked my fanny off deep cleaning the house yesterday (cleaned out the pantry, laundry room, did 20 loads of laundry...no not really, but it felt like it, blinds, behind the stove...) I had the prep work for dinner done (meat thawed, veggies cut), all dh had to do was cook the meat. He was beat when he got home and didn't want to cook, and I sure as heck didn't have the energy to stand in front of the stove. Sooo, we literally counted out quarters and got Little Ceasars. The up side is that we have leftovers frozen for next time. And, the prepwork is done for TONIGHT's dinner, I suppose...

Better to look at the bright side?

As for all that pasta, how about a cold pasta salad? We use all the odds and ends noodles, radishes sliced thin, carrots, celery, red or green onion, peppers, garlic powder, salt and pepper, and either mayo or italian dressing...and if we have canned chicken, turkey, or tuna we throw that in there, too. It's yummy, great for a hot day, and tastes even better the next day.

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

#34 of 52 Old 06-16-2006, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtenay_e
...how about a cold pasta salad? We use all the odds and ends noodles, radishes sliced thin, carrots, celery, red or green onion, peppers, garlic powder, salt and pepper, and either mayo or italian dressing...and if we have canned chicken, turkey, or tuna we throw that in there, too. It's yummy, great for a hot day, and tastes even better the next day.
That sounds so delicious and easy! I have some tinned salmon that I've been trying to figure out how to use up...(someone gave it to me, don't ask! ) This sounds like just the thing! (I am so LOVING this challenge!)

Visit www.evolutiontosimplicity.blogspot.com to follow my epic saga of single mummahood....

#35 of 52 Old 06-16-2006, 11:06 PM

Quote:
That sounds so delicious and easy! I have some tinned salmon that I've been trying to figure out how to use up...(someone gave it to me, don't ask! ) This sounds like just the thing! (I am so LOVING this challenge!)
It IS quite good, if I do say so myself. We often bring it when we have a summer potluck type party, as it's cheap to make, great to eat, filling, and colorful! I hope you like it (the salmon sounds good, too, have to suggest it to my mom...this salad's one of her favorite summer meals)!

#36 of 52 Old 06-17-2006, 07:16 AM

You didn't flunk, courteney_e. Think of how many times you would have done that without the challenge... if you are like me a minimum of once a week!! :

It's getting harder, isn't it? Here we are 17 days into this, over the hump and around here the 'fun and interesting' food has been gone for about 6 days. I am completely over the thrill of cooking big meals out of nothing and we've been eating alot of pbj, sandwiches and soup, pasta and sauce with veggies, homemade pizza. I started out with these big impressive meals and now I don't even want to think about that! Every night I stand in the kitchen looking at my dwindling pantry and talk myself out of spending my bus money on take out. I need a pep talk to get through these last 2 weeks!

Anyone else getting a wee bit stressed at the shrinking pantry? I probably still have more food than most people have (what can I say, it's an illness) but it looks like nothing to me! I hadn't realized how much comfort knowing I had all that food gave me. I am determined to keep going though! I've been in "I need to pick up groceries" mode for a week but I keep putting it off a day, yk?

Is anyone else struggling emotionally/mentally with this, or just me?

flowersforyou.gif

#37 of 52 Old 06-17-2006, 10:39 AM

Oh, Atilla, I'm so SICK of not having money to go buy whatever we want for food! We were at a play date yesterday and they asked us to stay to dinner and split a pizza, and I couldn't PAY for it...but I offered to make dough...*sigh* some day, mama! I totally understand your pain. I, too, have a rather full pantry of boring "basics." Beans, rice, pasta, tomaotes, flour, rolled oats. If it weren't for the CSA box, we'd have almost zero produce, but the pantry is full of basics...and I'm running out of planning ideas that excite ANYBODY. So, know that there's somebody out there who understands.

And thanks for the encouragement. You're right. Mexican carry-out has been on my mind for almost three full weeks. Pizza cost two thirds less, so I guess it wasn't so bad!

#38 of 52 Old 06-17-2006, 10:40 AM

Hmmmmm. Speaking of mexican...we're going to a picnic today, but perhaps we'll have to have that taco casserole with the jiffy mix cornbread tomorrow. I DO have beans, rice, and that cornbread mix...and everybody liked it. Here we go!

#39 of 52 Old 06-17-2006, 01:00 PM

Ok, I have a challenge for everyone -

I need a good hot weather meal to bring to a family gathering tomorrow using just basics. I have many staples - lots of grains, flours, beans, spices, herbs, oils, nuts, a little bit of cheddar cheese, alot of canned foods like corn and tomato products. I can afford to buy a little something - like $5 worth. As for fresh veggies I have very little - onions, potatoes, a yam, a zucchini, kale... I also have TVP, a block of tofu, some tempeh...

Help?

(ps. Since we can't afford to buy FIL a Father's Day present I want to bring him a treat. Problem is it's humid and 90 degrees and I can't see baking cookies or muffins. Any ideas?)

flowersforyou.gif

#40 of 52 Old 06-17-2006, 09:55 PM

We have tons of rice so this is what I am making this week for our meals...

Sloppy Joes over rice (we use rachel ray's recipe but omitted the meat. YUM)
Chicken Stir Fry (chicken, rice, soy sauce, and then whatever veggies)
Chicken Skillet Dinner (basically chicken in the skillet with veggies cooked in white sauce and then layered on rice)
Meatball Stroganoff (instead of putting this on noodles, we are doing rice)
Rice and Beans with Salsa, Cheese, and Avacado
#41 of 52 Old 06-20-2006, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila the Honey
Ok, I have a challenge for everyone -

I need a good hot weather meal to bring to a family gathering tomorrow using just basics. I have many staples - lots of grains, flours, beans, spices, herbs, oils, nuts, a little bit of cheddar cheese, alot of canned foods like corn and tomato products. I can afford to buy a little something - like $5 worth. As for fresh veggies I have very little - onions, potatoes, a yam, a zucchini, kale... I also have TVP, a block of tofu, some tempeh...

Help?

(ps. Since we can't afford to buy FIL a Father's Day present I want to bring him a treat. Problem is it's humid and 90 degrees and I can't see baking cookies or muffins. Any ideas?)
Okay, I know it's a little late, but saturday I had a REALLY great salad made out of all things you have, I think. Here's what was in it

arugala (okay, here's your $5 expenditure)
black beans
little red pepper
little red onion
corn
mexican spices

It was a cold salad, and SO yummy. I will try to make it next time we have a "dish to pass" deal.

#42 of 52 Old 06-20-2006, 10:14 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Attila, what did you make?

I've made a really good corn & black bean salad with corn, black beans, salsa (I'm sure it would be easy to mock one up), and vinaigrette (oil, vinegar, spices, salt & pepper). That's it! Serve chilled.

The leftovers make a good burrito filling, too.

Mama to Munchkin  and Chickadee ...and co-parent to 3 additional bundles of energy!
#43 of 52 Old 06-21-2006, 06:48 AM

I am not proud of this, but...

I ended up using the $ to buy dream whip and instant pudding and I made him a fake strawberry cheesecake pie with a graham cracker crust. he loves that kind of thing and doesn't cook at all so has no idea how easy it is. It went over very well - I decorated it with strawberries.

:

flowersforyou.gif

#44 of 52 Old 06-21-2006, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila the Honey
I am not proud of this, but...

I ended up using the $ to buy dream whip and instant pudding and I made him a fake strawberry cheesecake pie with a graham cracker crust. he loves that kind of thing and doesn't cook at all so has no idea how easy it is. It went over very well - I decorated it with strawberries.

:
Perfect! No bake, too. Sometimes it's the easy ones that are the best, you know?

#45 of 52 Old 06-22-2006, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

I was on such a roll with this pantry challenge, and then, disaster.

Yesterday, I made polska kielbasa with potatoes and pickled red cabbage in the Crock-Pot, but it was so SALTY that no one would eat it.

I was strong, though. I did not order in. I made clam chowder out of tinned potatoes, tinned corn, dehydrated onions, tinned clams and powdered milk. (All of which were given to me by my friend who moved to D.C. I continue to be amazed at the random stuff she gave me.) We ate it with my no-rise yeast rolls, so no one starved. (I was just really saddened to have to bin the other meal, and now I have to think of something to make tonight - the clam chowder was intended for dinner tonight.)

I have pretty much all staple foods, and some chicken breasts and frozen veg in the deep-freeze. Any suggestions would be uber helpful!!

Visit www.evolutiontosimplicity.blogspot.com to follow my epic saga of single mummahood....

#46 of 52 Old 06-22-2006, 03:14 PM

Quote:

I have pretty much all staple foods, and some chicken breasts and frozen veg in the deep-freeze. Any suggestions would be uber helpful!!
Chicken stir fry with rice?

Arroz con pollo?

Grilled chicken, veggies and a salad?

(not exactly a healthy meal but a staple comfort food) Chicken breast covered with can of mushroom soup that was mixed with a cup of sour cream topped w/ stuffing. Bake until done 35-45m (depending on thickness of chicken breasts) @ 350 F. The soup and sour cream makes a gravy. The stuffing is crunchy on top and still moist. Always good on a nothing sounds good kind of day.

Cut the chicken into strips and sautee them with chopped onion, garlic and peppers w/ taco seasoning (homemade or store bought). Add a bit of water and a can of your favoite beans. Serve over rice or use it to stuff tacos with.

Gotta run... the baby can't figure how to get out from under the table without bonking his head.
#47 of 52 Old 06-22-2006, 09:26 PM

Chicken and dumplings! YUM!

#48 of 52 Old 06-23-2006, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, so I wound up making "Hawaiian" chicken (chicken breasts, Catalina salad dressing, chopped ginger, tinned pineapple, pineapple juice - of which only the chicken breasts were actually purchased by me. ) with rice for dinner last night. Thanks for all of the ideas; they will be making appearances on future menues!

Having someone else's "random" groceries in your kitchen makes a pantry challenge REALLY interesting. : I'm not sure if inheriting a whole bunch of groceries is really saving me money, after all, since I have to buy things I normally wouldn't in order to use them up!

#49 of 52 Old 06-23-2006, 09:37 PM

Well, Kathyrinne, if nothing else, it's making you cook outside the box, know what I mean?

#50 of 52 Old 06-28-2006, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Only 2 days remain in the month of June. I would love to continue this challenge into July, anyone else with me?

(We could budget $100 to buy any groceries we need to supplement our current inventory, so we're not eating odd meals like pancakes with mustard for the next 31 days! )

#51 of 52 Old 06-29-2006, 11:21 PM

*raises hand* count me in!

#52 of 52 Old 06-30-2006, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

There is a July Freezer/Pantry Challenge thread in the "Frugality and Finances" sub-forum of the "Mindful Home Management" forum. Come join us!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page