I don't wanna use the stove or oven or grill... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-01-2006, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's getting hotter and muggier and I don't want to stand infront of any heat source for too long, especially with the baby on my hip. I am sure other mamas here share my sentiments... I have picky eaters, both DH and the older 2 DS's are resistant to new foods (read: they are the mac and cheese types) but the little ones and I LOVE fresh, new foods.

So anyone have any fail safe ideas for dinners that I won't have to sweat my butt off (literally) in order to prepare?

Thanks in advance.
#2 of 6 Old 06-01-2006, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
look up recipes on "raw food" - start with Alissa Cohen's site (http://www.alissacohen.com/recipes.html) and Rawganique ( http://www.rawganique.com/recipes.htm) and google from there.

"raw food" is new to me - i wouldn't do it as a lifestyle myself, but i have run across some mightly tasty looking things that i'd love to try once ds can actually eat these things (he only likes, and can only chew, his veggies cooked at the moment).

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#3 of 6 Old 06-02-2006, 03:39 PM

I have a couple of things I do and I only have to really cook one day a week:

Broccoli and Cauliflower salad
Grilled vegetable salad
Pasta pesto and peas salad
Lentil soup
Shrimp salad
Chicken salad
Teriyaki chicken legs

I spend about an hour in front of the stove total and then it goes in the refrigerator. I like the soup cold but hubby puts it in the microwave (if you go that route!).

If any of these sound interesting I can post the recipes. You can also check here at the crockpot recipes thread: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=237665
#4 of 6 Old 06-02-2006, 08:55 PM

I hear you! It's all we can do to keep our house hovering at 80 degrees inside (with our decrepit old AC), so turning on the stove is such a huge deal.

This week I have been relying on my microwave and my rice cooker (the latter I take downstairs to the basement so it doesn't add to the upstairs heat!)

I made an excellent Spanish Rice by cooking the rice with chicken/beef broth instead of water, and then stirring in kidney beans, chopped spanish green olives, cilantro, and chopped tomatoes. I served with green salad and quesadillas made in the toaster oven.

In the microwave, I actually made hash browns! Spread a thin layer of frozen hash browns (the loose kind, not the pre-formed squares) on a lightly Pam-ed piece of parchement paper. Lightly spray the potatoes again and sprinkle with seasoning salt. They just let 'em rip in the microwave until they get crispy (they do!) and brown. Best hash browns I've ever made. In my microwave, it takes about 5 minutes per batch. You can do this with thinly sliced potatoes to make fat free potato chips, too!

We eat a lot of sandwiches and salads in the summer. i love a cucumber and tomato (Greek) salad!

High-tech Hippie Mama to Dd1 (9/22/06), Dd2 (2/25/10) and Ds (05/27/2013). I eat Clean, cloth diaper, and spend way too much time online.

#5 of 6 Old 06-05-2006, 01:04 PM

Set up your crockpot overnight when it's coolest and the electricity rates are low!

Check the various crockpot recipes threads (there's at least one active one in Meal Planning and one in Nutrition, as well as all the archived ones), and the Pantry Challenge threads for suggestions on how to turn various crockpot efforts into multiple meals. A great one is to do a chicken in a pot and eat that one night (chicken, potatoes, veges), then use the leftover chicken for burrito fillings, salad toppings, sandwiches, casseroles. . .Then you can throw the carcass back in the pot with water and veges and have soup the next morning!

I'm also a big fan of my microwave and toaster oven when it's hot. Cook baked potatoes in the microwave. Top w/ microwave heated chilli, shredded cheese, cold sour cream, chopped avocado, etc. Also, we do nachos in the microwave a lot. We'll do a big plate of chips with beans and cheese, then separate bowls of toppings. Everyone digs and dips as they please. Good for family meals! Cold pasta salads are nice, too. If you cook the pasta at night and assemble the salad then, the flavors blend while it sits in the fridge until the next day.

Here's a quickie that we did last night - cooked on the stove in our horrendously un-ventilated, super-hot kitchen in the 80+ degree heat and it didn't make me pour sweat, so I know it's a keeper!!

Pizzadillas

Spread two WW tortillas w/ pizza sauce
Sprinkle one with shredded mozarella
Top w/ whatever you like, but make sure if you use veges, they are cooked.

Lay cheesed tortilla in hot frying pan, lay other sauced tortilla on top (like a sandwich). Press down in pan. Cover and turn heat to med.

It will "puff" up a bit after a few minutes. Press down and check to see if bottom tortilla is browned. When it is, flip and cover again. Check after a few min to see if bottom tortilla is browned. When it is, remove, cool a bit, slice and eat!

Using a cover on the pan keeps the heat in, which keeps the kitchen cooler and cooks the food faster.

ex-Californian, making my way on the East Coast with DS (10), DS (6) and WAHDH. Former extended BF'er, co-sleeper, and baby-wearer. Remembering how to garden.

#6 of 6 Old 06-05-2006, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I have been sticking to sandwiches and fruit salads in the past week just to avoid (real) cooking. I always forget that my crockpot can be used for more than bean soups, which I love and the rest of my family avoid like the plague. I will have to check out that thread once i have a bit more time. Thanks mamas.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page