What to do with buttermilk? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 06-05-2006, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I bought buttermilk for a specific recipe, but now I have some left and have no clue what to make with it...any ideas?
#2 of 17 Old 06-05-2006, 07:27 PM

biscuits and pancakes, that's all i know.

sub'ing to this thread because i need a good, quick, reliable biscuit recipe and someone is bound to post one.
#3 of 17 Old 06-06-2006, 04:02 AM

blueberry muffins...banana muffins..almost all my muffin recupes call for buttermilk...its good to drink too, at least, i like it. have you tried it? its very creamy.
#4 of 17 Old 06-06-2006, 04:39 AM

If you aren't veggie, it's awesome to soak chicken in before frying it (southern secret ingredient).

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

#5 of 17 Old 06-06-2006, 05:24 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hindyg
I bought buttermilk for a specific recipe, but now I have some left and have no clue what to make with it...any ideas?
Hindy, have you read the Nourishing Traditions cookbook? I'll soak oatmeal (or some other whole grain cereal) overnight in water with a little buttermilk at room temperature. The next morning, it cooks up really quickly.

Mama to Munchkin  and Chickadee ...and co-parent to 3 additional bundles of energy!
#6 of 17 Old 06-06-2006, 10:10 PM

Pancakes or waffles. If you do waffles, do a bunch, freeze them, and then you can pop them in the toaster for breakfast! I hate dealing with the waffle iron, so that's what I do
#7 of 17 Old 06-06-2006, 10:12 PM

Cornbread
#8 of 17 Old 06-07-2006, 04:09 PM

Oh, goodness. I have a REALLY good reicpe for cinnamon rolls that are even relatively quick that uses buttermilk, as well as a kick butt recipe for pancakes, and one for oatmal muffins. Here, I'll share...

Quick Cinnamon Buns with Buttermilk Icing
Melted butter is used in both the filling and the dough, as well as to grease the pan; melt the total amoung (8 tablespoons) at once and measure it out as you need it. The buns are best eaten warm, but basically rock regardless!

1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted, for greasing pan

CINNAMON SUGAR FILLING
3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar (but if all I have is light brown then that's what I use)
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted

BISCUIT DOUGH
2 1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour, plus more for dusting the work surface
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups buttermilk
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled

ICING
2 tablespoons cream cheese, softened
2 tablespoons buttermilk
1 cup confectioners' sugar

1. Adjust over rack to the upper-middle position and heat the over to 425F. Pour 1 tablespoon melted butter into a 9 inch nonstick cake pan; brush to coat the pan. Spray a wire cooling rack with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.

2. For the CINNAMON SUGAR FILLING: Combine the sugars, spices, and salt in a small bowl. Add the melted butter and stir with a fork until the mixture resembles wet sand; set the filling mixture aside.

3. For the BISCUIT DOUGH: Whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Whisk the buttermilk and 2 tablespoons of the melted butter in a measuring cup or a small bowl. Add the liquid to the dry ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon until the liquid is absorbed (the dough will look very shaggy), about 30 seconds. Transfer the dough to a lightly floured work surface and knead until just smooth and no longer shaggy.

4. Pat the dough with your hands into a 12 by 9 inch rectangle. Brush the dough with 2 tablespoons of the melted butter. Sprinkle evenly with the filling leaving a 1/2 inch border of plain dough around the edges. Press the filling firmly into the dough. Using a bench scraper or metal spatula, loosen the dough from the work surface. Starting at the long side, roll the dough, pressing lightly, to form a tight log. Pinch the seam to seal. Roll the log seam-side down and cut it evenly into 8 pieces. With your hand, slightly flatten each piece of dough to seal the open edges and keep the filling in place. Place 1 roll in the center of the prepared nonstick pan, then place the remaining 7 rolls around the perimeter of the pan. Brush with the remaining 2 tablespoons melted butter.

5. Bake until the edges of the buns are golden brown, 23 to 25 minutes. Use an offset metal spatula to loosen the buns from the pan. Wearing oven mitts, place a large plate over the pan and invert the buns onto the plate. Place a greased cooling rack over the plate and invert the buns onto the rack. Cool about 5 minutes before icing.

6. For the ICING AND TO FINISH THE BUNS: While the buns are cooling, line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper (for easy cleanup); set the rack with the buns over the baking sheet. Whisk the cream cheese and buttermilk in a large nonreactive bowl until thick and smooth (the mixture will look like cottage cheese at first). Sift the confectioners' sugar over the mixture; whisk until a smooth glaze forms, about 30 seconds. Spoon the glaze evenly over the buns; serve immediately.

(This is from The New Best Recipe, what I consider to be the best cookbook I've used to date...and I have a couple hundred of them!)

Light and Fluffy Pancakes
MAKES ABOUT SIXTEEN 4-INCH PANCAKES, SERVING 4-6

If you have buttermilk on hand, use 2 cups instead of the milk and lemon juice mixture.

1 tablespoon juice from 1 lemon
2 cups milk
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 large egg
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
1-2 teaspoons vegetable oil (I use pure olive oil)

1. Whisk the lemon juice and milk together in a medium bowl or large measuring cup; set aside to thicken while preparing the other ingredients. Whisk the four, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl to combine.

2. Whisk the egg and melted butter into the milk until combined. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients in the bowl; pour in the milk mixture and whisk very gently until just combined (a few lumps should remain). Do not overmix.

3. Heat a 12 inch nonstick skillet over medium heat for 3 to five minutes; add 1 teaspoon oil and brush to coat the skillet bottom evenly. Pour 1/4 cup batter onto 3 spots in the skillet. Cook the pancakes until large bubbles begin to appear, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Using a thin, wide spatula, flip the pancakes and cook until golden brown on the second side; 1 to 1 1/2 minutes longer. Serven immediately. Repeat with the remaining batter, using the remaining vegetable oil if necessary.

(this recipe is also from the new best recipes book)

Oatmeal Muffins

1 cup quick or regular rolled oats
2 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup brown sugar
4 tablespoons butter, melted
1 large egg
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
1 cup raisins (optional)

In a small bowl, combine the oats and buttermilk. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

Preheat oven to 425F. In a large bowl, combine the buttermilk and oat mixture, brown sugar, butter, egg, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Gently stir in the flour and the raisins. Scoop into 12 greased muffin cups and bake for 20 minutes, until the tops are light golden brown and a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven, let cool for 5 minutes on a rack, then turn out of the pans to finish cooling.

(this is from the King Arthur Flour Baker's Companion)

Have fun!

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

#9 of 17 Old 06-11-2006, 04:27 PM

I use buttermilk in cornbread, pancakes and to soak chicken in before frying. And in salad dressing

Courtenay, those sound SO GOOD! I cant wait to try the muffins & cinnamon rolls

When i was pg with DD, i used to drink it by the quart!

The Tabbie Family; DH , DS , DD , a few :, a couple : and me.
#10 of 17 Old 06-11-2006, 08:33 PM

I'm guessing from your tichel your kosher? So....

Buttermilk is good in quiche instead of milk.

Also, smoothies.

And cornbread with cheddar and green chilies.

It would also be good as a sauce for fish. Or serve beer-battered fish with the cornbread.
#11 of 17 Old 06-12-2006, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenetabbie
I use buttermilk in cornbread, pancakes and to soak chicken in before frying. And in salad dressing

Courtenay, those sound SO GOOD! I cant wait to try the muffins & cinnamon rolls

When i was pg with DD, i used to drink it by the quart!
The cinnamon rolls really are my favorite. The muffins are great too. THe pancakes are the best pancakes I've ever had. Really. THey're good. Lemme know what you think after you've tried em.

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

#12 of 17 Old 06-12-2006, 11:46 AM

I just made these and they are very good! I used buttermilk and needed to add a 1/2 cup of reg milk to get the right texture. I also added lemon zest, cin, and nutmeg.

The kids just came back for seconds! We had allready had breakfast and I was thinking these could be a snack and then freeze the rest--will see if any make it for later.
#13 of 17 Old 06-12-2006, 11:51 AM

my mother drinks buttermilk with salt, it's pretty good!
#14 of 17 Old 06-12-2006, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by celrae

I just made these and they are very good! I used buttermilk and needed to add a 1/2 cup of reg milk to get the right texture. I also added lemon zest, cin, and nutmeg.

The kids just came back for seconds! We had allready had breakfast and I was thinking these could be a snack and then freeze the rest--will see if any make it for later.
Yes, they are a very thick batter. I never add extra milk, just glob into the griddle, and they really do come out nice. The flavors sound yummy. MY favorite addition is wild blueberries. YUM! We also have found that we rarely get to freeze extras if we make a single batch, so always make doubles, to freeze for later!

#15 of 17 Old 06-12-2006, 11:58 AM

I also drink it with salt added
#16 of 17 Old 06-12-2006, 11:59 AM

I also drink it with salt added
#17 of 17 Old 06-16-2006, 03:33 PM

You can freeze it, according to Rachael Ray.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page