Swimming in produce - Need ideas fast! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 06-06-2006, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, all,

Joined a CSA, and we're on a bi-weekly cycle, of which I still have some baby spinach, baby turnip greens, and 3/4 lb asparagus. In addition, I had a neighbor, who is growing her own stuff chemical free, give me 3 lbs of asparagus! Also, tomatoes, cucumbers, chives, mint, carrots, broccoli. I'm not sure how this happened.... :

We eat salads and veggies at every meal, but we're not vegetarians.

Given the fact that I'm in 3rd trimester, and not able to pack away this food quite as quickly as I would have been able to last trimester....

Recipes which use a lot of veggies at once or that freeze well are super appreciated! I promise to stop buying as much at the farmer's market, but we've got another delivery on Saturday....

Thanks in advance,
Erin
#2 of 8 Old 06-06-2006, 03:14 PM

The spinich, asparagrus, carrots & broccoli you could easily blanch or lightly steam & freeze for later use. Other than that the 1st thing that really comes to mind is veggies & hummus dip carrots & cucumbers are my fav for that. We also do alot of veggie pastas with whatever is on hand. Just chop the veggies & sautee with some garlic & olive oil then season & toss with cooked pasta. That would be yummy with everything you have other than the mint maybe

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#3 of 8 Old 06-06-2006, 10:08 PM

I would make lasagna with a lot of that stuff--tomatoes, zucchini, even carrots are great in lasagna. And then freeze the lasagna! To make it even easier, you can do a lasagna casserole--yes, some people think lasagna IS a casserole, but it you aren't quite so neat layering, and use any old pasta shape rather than lasagna noodles, you can have a much-easier-to-make pasta casserole. Freeze, and then reheat and eat when the baby is here!

The herbs I would process as "pesto"--though probably just with olive oil, in the food processor, and then freeze.

Sounds like a good problem to have
#4 of 8 Old 06-06-2006, 10:19 PM

The cucumbers and tomatoes I would turn into gazpacho (which freezes well and then you literally just have to wait for it to unthaw and you have a fabulous fresh cool dinner for the dog days of summer). The mint you could freeze with water in little ice cube trays (or with tea/lemonade) and then you can turn any drink into a fancy drink with your mint cubes. If you cant keep up with the tomatos and you dont have time to make sauce the easiest thing to do is to blanch them in boiling water (about a minute each) and them store them chopped in freezer containers.
#5 of 8 Old 06-09-2006, 09:36 AM

You could also bruise the mint leaves up and add them to a simple syrup that will keep for forever in the back of your fridge. Easy way to add a little mint goodness to future drinks.

The cucumbers could be sliced thinly and then dressed with a little rice wine vinegar, dill, S&P and served along with any meal. The kids call these "Mama's Pickles".

Tell your neighbor if she wants to give away any more asparagus, I'll pay for the S&H!! I haven't had really good fresh from the dirt asparagus in almost a decade, since I moved from MI.
#6 of 8 Old 06-09-2006, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hey, Desa, are you FROM michigan? Where did you live?

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

#7 of 8 Old 06-09-2006, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

Just an update,

I made lasagna with veggie sauce, thanks for the idea of putting the carrots and broccoli in, wouldn't have thought of that.

Asparagus is all going to be roasted or blanched today, now that the weather cooled off a tad. Blanched will be frozen for later soup making capability.

Cucumbers have been made into cucumber salad (very similar to Mama's Pickles).

I get my next box from my CSA tomorrow... The saga continues

Erin
#8 of 8 Old 06-16-2006, 03:55 PM

I make a white lasagna with loads of veggies and cream sauce. With the veggies, you can also do roasted veggies - chop asparagus, add tomatos, carrots, brocolli, potato chunks, onion hunks, zucchini - whatever veggies you have. Add in a bit of soy sauce, rosemary, garlic, put on a piece of aluminum foil, wrap well and toss on the grill.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page