How do you figure out how to meal plan? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 192 Old 12-03-2006, 12:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by courtenay_e View Post
Get yourself a book called "The New Best Recipe" by the editors of Cooks illustrated. Last time I checked, you could get it off of Amazon for $14.95, and it included a free copy of the magazine, too (and the magazine is as awesome as the cook book...). The editors of cooks illustrated take great pains to honestly figure out what makes a recipe great, and then they tell you exactly how they came to that particular recipe and WHY certain things work the way they do...so this is the part you can bring to your other cooking.
I just have to say THANK YOU for posting this recommendation! I checked it out from the library and have made SUCH delicious food over the past 2 weeks! Dh is happy I've stopped "trying to make healthy food"....not that I can't find healthy things to make from that book, but a good number of my other cookbooks have recipes that are "healthy" but mostly not so good...even if I modify them to make them a bit more palatable. I have a feeling I'll be getting this cookbook as a holiday gift!

Now to get started on the meal planning!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 192 Old 12-03-2006, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damselfly41 View Post
Here's a link to the recipe....

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/re...s/views/234120

I have never had fondue before, but I thought this might be a good way for the kids to eat their veggies! I'm gonna make it tomorrow (if the Guiness will last that long, lol!). I love Guiness. I even "splurged" a little on good dijon mustard.
I made this last Wednesday and it was sooo good!!!! I have a tip to offer: I didn't have any apple juice concentrate so I used some maple syrup. It was perfect!
#63 of 192 Old 12-04-2006, 11:41 AM

I like the maple syrup idea.
I loved it, but I thought it had too much flour or something, because it was a bit... grainy is the only word I can think of. There were no lumps or anything, but... I don't know. Dh asked me to not make it anymore.

me luxlove.gif+ dh kewl.gif= dd reading.gif , ds mischievous.gif , ds2 biggrinbounce.gif, dd2 baby.gif

#64 of 192 Old 12-04-2006, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damselfly41 View Post
I like the maple syrup idea.
I loved it, but I thought it had too much flour or something, because it was a bit... grainy is the only word I can think of. There were no lumps or anything, but... I don't know. Dh asked me to not make it anymore.
I wouldn't say mine was grainy, but sure was thick! It's probably a combo of the flour and the sharp cheese. We loved it. You can come have it at my house.
#65 of 192 Old 12-04-2006, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbinsMama View Post
You can come have it at my house.
Awww, thanks!!!

I will try it again sometime, I think. Dh is gone most nights at dinner time, anyway. I just love Guiness. And Brussels sprouts. And cheese...

me luxlove.gif+ dh kewl.gif= dd reading.gif , ds mischievous.gif , ds2 biggrinbounce.gif, dd2 baby.gif

#66 of 192 Old 12-05-2006, 03:01 PM

Quote:

Get yourself a book called "The New Best Recipe" by the editors of Cooks illustrated. Last time I checked, you could get it off of Amazon for $14.95, and it included a free copy of the magazine, too (and the magazine is as awesome as the cook book...). The editors of cooks illustrated take great pains to honestly figure out what makes a recipe great, and then they tell you exactly how they came to that particular recipe and WHY certain things work the way they do...so this is the part you can bring to your other cooking.
I have to quote this because I LOVE this book. I have the original edition which is FAB! They also have another one I use all the time called "Cover and Bake". It is all one dish meals!
#67 of 192 Old 12-08-2006, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayayenay View Post
I just have to say THANK YOU for posting this recommendation! I checked it out from the library and have made SUCH delicious food over the past 2 weeks! Dh is happy I've stopped "trying to make healthy food"....not that I can't find healthy things to make from that book, but a good number of my other cookbooks have recipes that are "healthy" but mostly not so good...even if I modify them to make them a bit more palatable. I have a feeling I'll be getting this cookbook as a holiday gift!

Now to get started on the meal planning!
No problem! It's one of my favorites! They have an entire series (including aforementioned Cover and Bake) of books that I just love. My most recent favorite is their book called "the Quick Recipe". The baking ones are fab, and, well, I've never made anything out of them that anybody has turned their nose up at yet...and my fallback fave is ALWAYS the New Best Recipes. Gifting hints...they have their books at 40% off on their website for Christmas...

Oh, try their pork loin roast. I LOVE it. I make the au jus into gravey and serve it over mashed potatoes, with peas and apple sauce. Yum. And their beef noodle soup? TO DIE FOR...especially with my free range organic beef... THey also have the BEST pancake recipe I've ever eaten. And I've had a lot of pancakes. Even my kids like it, and for THEM we make it with rice milk and egg replacer...the combination of which has been known to ruin some really good breakfast recipes!

anyway, enjoy. I'm glad to share.

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

#68 of 192 Old 12-08-2006, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenetabbie View Post
Wow Courtenay_e, a whole plan named for you!

Re the seeds; you are so sweet to think of me Although, I just noticed you posted that and now it is Nov!
Yuh. My husband was impressed. Like, "you're giving that out for free?! You should be charging for that" impressed. I was more looking for, "hey, that's kinda cool" impressed, but I suppose beggars can't be choosers...

And as for the seeds, it's probably too late, but I DO still have your addy, you still want the seeds?

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

#69 of 192 Old 12-08-2006, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelleyd View Post
Want to share your recipe for Irish cheddar and stout fondue? I love fondue and dh loves guiness.

I've been doing the courtenay_e plan now since July and I love it. We eat good healthy new things all the time, spend less on groceries, and I'm less stressed. Now my sister may be starting too.

Shelley
Shelley, I'm so glad it's working out! I like to hear that I've been helpful. I think it's the doula in me, but if it means that a mama gets to spend happier quality time with her babe, life is good!

#70 of 192 Old 12-12-2006, 10:24 PM

I really don't know how we did it before the courtenay plan! We save time and money now. It's great.

Shelley
#71 of 192 Old 12-28-2006, 12:15 AM

Bumpity. and subbing!!! Frozen pizza for dinner tonight. Help!
#72 of 192 Old 12-31-2006, 02:11 AM

Well I am subbing and jumping on the bandwagon. I am starting the courtnay_e plan and going organic as my new years resolution. This is going to be awesome!!

Eternal Companion to DH , Homeschooling mama to DS 05/04 , DS 11/05 , DD 12/07 , DS 07/10 and one on the way: June 2015!
#73 of 192 Old 01-02-2007, 11:56 PM

Well, crap. I've fallen off of my own bandwagon...better go plan! I need to do a HUGE shopping to feed my pantry. Have been feeding the freezer w/hams and turkeys, as it's the holiday season and they are CHEAP. Have pork loin, too. Really, I have no excuses! Time to go to work...

#74 of 192 Old 01-03-2007, 01:08 AM

Okay. NOW. I've planned the next eight weeks, made a shopping list for staples, and feel much better.

#75 of 192 Old 01-03-2007, 01:41 AM

Eternal Companion to DH , Homeschooling mama to DS 05/04 , DS 11/05 , DD 12/07 , DS 07/10 and one on the way: June 2015!
#76 of 192 Old 01-03-2007, 11:43 AM

:

#77 of 192 Old 01-05-2007, 12:02 AM

I am subbing here too.. I have a 5 week rotating plan, but even with 5 weeks worth of meals I'm still getting bored with it!

Mama to (DS 7) and (DD 5), wife to DH

#78 of 192 Old 01-07-2007, 05:59 PM

subbing

Proud mom to superhero.gifds2 (7/05), angel2.gif ds 1 (born into heaven at 38 weeks 11/03), and 5 more angels angel.gif (4/02) angel.gif (7/10) angel.gifangel.gif (11/10) angel.gif (11/12)

#79 of 192 Old 01-07-2007, 06:27 PM

Anyone have any more suggestions? I am in a food rut lately!

#80 of 192 Old 01-08-2007, 12:31 PM

wife and mommy, did you look at the first page? I think I'm the fourth or fifth post...somewhere around there. I describe how I keep myself out of that rut. It is sooo nice to come back to a favorite meal, 'cause it's likely that we haven't been there for six to eight weeks, easily, most likely longer.

#81 of 192 Old 01-08-2007, 01:15 PM

Quote:
wife and mommy, did you look at the first page? I think I'm the fourth or fifth post...somewhere around there. I describe how I keep myself out of that rut. It is sooo nice to come back to a favorite meal, 'cause it's likely that we haven't been there for six to eight weeks, easily, most likely longer.

Yes I did see it! It's a GREAT plan, but my problem lately is nothing is really sounding good and I have a hard time writing anything down! LOL I have a huge master lists of recipes to choose from but nothing sounds good! I think its because I'm in between. We have been eating vegetarian for a while but my body is starting to crave meats (weird?) and so I was going to try doing 1 or 2 meals a week with meat, but then when I think about cooking it I just don't want it mentally but my body is craving it. It's really strange! (we were eating veggie for health reasons)

So I am just wanting new recipes I guess, but it seems like everything that's new doesn't sound good to me for some reason or another. It's also hard to cook food you don't really want to eat. I just don't know what's up with me lately! LOL So I guess I just need to try them weather I want to or not and just come up with some new stuff for my family to eat.

Thanks!

#82 of 192 Old 01-08-2007, 05:17 PM

I have a busy lifestyle ESPECAILLY once the last little one arrives in the next three weeks.

I decided last summer to make up my own cookbook. My hubby bought me a cookbook software for Mothers day and uploaded all the recipes that we love and have on hand. Then I searched the internet for free recipes that we would love to try.

I got it all typed up and went to Kinkos and had it printed and binded. It stays in my kitchen and we meal plan 6 meals a week out of this book. Some meals are crockpot meals, some meals are simple meals, and some are more complex. Then Saturdays are our days to eat out.

WE try to keep our meals healthy so most of my meals are healthy and well balanced meals that actually do taste good.

Usually on Sunday hubby and I sit down together, make a meal list for the week, mark off what we have on hand then go to Costco to buy most of the items in bulk. It also helps that we have a foodsaver so somethings I do cook ahead and foodsaver and freeze it. Makes for easy nights sometimes.

We plan on getting back into this routine here soon after our baby arrives. Since being on bedrest I just eat what I can get LOL.

Traci
#83 of 192 Old 01-15-2007, 12:46 AM

subbing
#84 of 192 Old 01-15-2007, 02:39 AM

Isn't this a great thread? It changed my WORLD!

#85 of 192 Old 04-06-2007, 11:27 PM

here you go, hope it helps...

#86 of 192 Old 04-10-2007, 05:14 PM

Go online for help with meal planning that's my advice. My favorite site is bhg.com. It is a great resource because you can store your favorite recipes or upload your own recipes – it’s fabulous! Saves so much time to be able to have your ‘recipe book’ online, you should check it out! Oh, and as for what you should cook, try this risotto recipe http://recipes.bhg.com/recipes/recip...cipeId=R090645 I would also recommend cooking the rice with a little bit of white wine, in addition to the broth. Good luck!
#87 of 192 Old 04-13-2007, 05:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I use kraftfoods.com for a lot of my recipes. I'm on that website for quite some time at work each Friday, looking at and printing out new recipes. Some of the recipes are too processed/packaged, but you can pretty much substitute any of the ingredients, and there are TONS of free recipes there (with pictures! very important to me, as I'm a very visual person). Every Friday evening, I get all my cookbooks and my kraftfoods.com printed recipe folder out and sit in the middle of my living room floor to do my weekly planning. (I go to the grocery store on Saturday.) I was using a notebook to first plan out what we would eat each day, then do my shopping list on a separate page, but now I'm using the meal planning template another mama posted on this board.

We don't have certain days of the week that we eat certain types of food -- I just try to make sure we're not having the same meat two days in a row, or pasta dishes two days in a row, etc. I usually add 1-2 new recipes for the week, and stick with favorites for the other days. I only plan for 5 days of cooking, because I know us, and we will end up eating out at least 2 days a week regardless of whether we have enough groceries for all 7 days. (We are busy people!)

My personal favorite recipes are one-dish type meals; for example, one night this week we're going to have a southwestern chicken & vegetable bake that includes baked chicken, brown rice, cheese, and vegetables. (You cook all this at once in the oven.) That way all you have to add is a salad or some rolls, and it's a full meal. I *hate* having to juggle five different things cooking at once.

Good luck, mama, and have fun with it! Meal planning has become one of my favorite hobbies!
#88 of 192 Old 04-13-2007, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter

May I just say, as the OP, that never have I started a thread that lasted this long!: As for my own meal planning, I find it's a bit spotty still. However, I have really enjoyed learning more about cooking techniques and applying those techniques to the food I feed my family. And frankly, for me to look ahead a day or two has been a major victory over the former "OMG! It's 5:30! What's for dinner! Eek! Nothing in the house!" stuff I was into.

#89 of 192 Old 04-16-2007, 02:28 PM

AmyY, I'm glad you started it...it's been a great discussion. And, hey, ANY time you plan ahead over thinking about it when it should be on the table is a victory!!

#90 of 192 Old 04-18-2007, 05:32 PM

Agreed planning ahead is key. Bhg.com is helpful here as well because the site has a daily newsletter in the form of an email and each one has a different recipe. This way you are armed with a new meal plan every night! Also check out this Mediterranean-style stuffing I might just have to make this one for dinner
http://recipes.bhg.com/recipes/recip...cipeId=R087267

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page