How do you figure out how to meal plan? - Page 7 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#181 of 192 Old 09-26-2013, 03:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This is how I approach it. I do a bulk large food shopping once every 4-6 weeks depending on what we might need and our budget. I usually pick up fresh produce from a local food co-op we belong to and our garden. Eggs are from our chicken, milk and bread are purchased weekly usually by dh on his was home from work.

I do batch freezer cooking. I'll do a large batch of dried beans, cook them up then freeze them in 1-1 1/2 cup size portions. I usually will do several pounds at a time. I also cook rice, ground beef, bacon, chicken and turkey and then freeze for later use.

When I plan our meals I tend to do it weekly or 10days out. I think of our schedule for the week. and go from there.

Mondays are busy with a soccer practice so that is usually a pre made casserole, soup, chili, or like this week Breakfast Burritos (I made up 35 last night and froze them).

Tuesdays are our busiest day of the week so this is always a casserole and usually an egg dish. Egg bake, quiche. I usually make up the casserole on Monday and DH puts it in the oven when he gets home from work.

Wednesdays are similar to Mondays I don't usually do back to back casseroles but it has happened, I usually do an "Italian" inspired dish this night. So pasta bake, baked ziti, pizza, etc.

Thursdays I usually have more time in my day so I will do a roasted chicken, main meat and potatoes sort of meal.

Fridays are funny. DH has every other one off so when he has off we usually go out to eat or he makes dinner. I don't normally menu plan this meal. When he is working I tend to do a soup, salad, chili, tacos.

Over the weekends I usually cook Saturday and DH does Sundays. Usually this is a meat, veg, veg, and starch sort of meal. Think traditional sunday dinners.

I also batch cook and freeze muffins, brownies, cookies and breads.

We do a lot of canning and also can up homemade soups which comes in handy for a night when our best laid plans fall short. Our goal is to eat as a family more nights than not. To not eat fast food meals due to our own lack of planning and to eat locally, nutritious food.

We've been married almost 13 yrs and our kids are 11 and 8. It's been the last 5 yrs that we've really had a good system in place.

Our Meal plan the coming week.

Tonight I had planned on making chili backed potatoes but DD's soccer game got moved to tonight so we've decided on a meal out at our favorite Mexican place.

Friday night is sort of up in the air.

Meal plan for the rest of the week.

Saturday: Rosemary Panco Chicken, mashed potatoes, green beans and apple crisp.

Sunday: Bacon homemade Mac n Cheese (made and froze a few weeks ago) with celery sticks and apple slices.

Monday: Breakfast burritos (made and froze a few weeks ago), home canned peach slices. (Soccer practice at 5:30pm) we eat a quick meal.

Tuesday: Sweat potato tater tot casserole . ( Science co-op from 12-2p,Running practice 2:30 4pm, girl scouts until 5pm, volunteer gig at 6:45p at our food co-op, plus I answer phone voice meal for our homeschool association. This by far is my busiest day) I will make this up in the morning or the night before and DH will pop it in the oven when he gets home from work.

Wednesday: Pasta bake with homemade sauce (I use lentils mixed with ground sausage and I also add carrots and zucchini ). Garlic toast (Soccer Practice at 5:30p, I will make this up during the day and DH will pop it in the oven when he gets home from work.)

Thursday: Roasted Organic Chicken with roasted potatoes, mixed veg and homemade rosemary garlic cheese bread. Only running practice this day :)

Friday: Chicken soup, possibly taco soup. cornbread waffles.

tracyamber likes this.

Pax, loving wife since 2001, Mother of DD1 (11 1/2) and DD2 (8). Entering our 4th year of Homeschooling: Eclectic mix of curriculum and child interest lead. Backyard urban chicken chasers. 10/2014 items purged.
#182 of 192 Old 11-20-2013, 08:04 AM

Bumpity bumpity.

I'm in the middle of week 2 of courtenay_e's plan and loving it. My husband is so happy, I'm much more comfortable with what my son is eating, and we're doing so much better using leftovers efficiently. I haven't analyzed whether our costs have changed, but we are certainly ordering in less often, which is great. Our meals so far:

Roasted chickens with gravy, potatoes, and roasted veggies

chicken noodle soup (using chicken from the night before), salad, bread

Ropa Vieja (slow cooker), tostones, rice

Steelhead trout, wilted spinach

Roast beef with mashers, carrots

Gumbo (williams sonoma slow cooker recipe)

Chicken Curry in a Hurry, modified to include cauliflower

Crab cakes, tartare sauce, steamed broccoli,

Roast pork loin, mashers, jus, and brussels sprouts

Tacos

On the menu for the coming weeks:

lentils and onions, squash soup

Pasta Puttanesca

Roast lamb (on of our favorite special meals

Flack steak with chimmichurri, roasted beets

crustless quiche

Mustard pork chops with wilted spinach and wild rice

turkey chili,

potato-leek soup with keilbasa

pasta carabonara

moroccan shrimp, couscous, asparagus

chicken piccata, beef stroganoff, 

seared scallops, tomato soup

Married to my favorite man in '07. Our firstborn came along in April 2012 (HBC), and our second is on the way, due sometime in May 2014 (planning an HBAC).
#183 of 192 Old 11-20-2013, 08:33 AM

Just subbing so I can keep all these resources at hand smile.gif What great ideas!

You do enough. You are enough.

Married to Superman, mom to Little Man (5.6.13) struggling to find balance between ideals and reality.
#184 of 192 Old 12-17-2013, 02:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Wonderful, Rosie!  So glad to hear that it was helpful.  I hope it's still keeping things easier for you!

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

#185 of 192 Old 02-01-2014, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Bumping again for a friend. :)

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

#186 of 192 Old 02-01-2014, 12:54 PM

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieL View Post

Bumpity bumpity.

I'm in the middle of week 2 of courtenay_e's plan and loving it. My husband is so happy, I'm much more comfortable with what my son is eating, and we're doing so much better using leftovers efficiently. I haven't analyzed whether our costs have changed, but we are certainly ordering in less often, which is great. Our meals so far:

Roasted chickens with gravy, potatoes, and roasted veggies
chicken noodle soup (using chicken from the night before), salad, bread
Ropa Vieja (slow cooker), tostones, rice
Steelhead trout, wilted spinach
Roast beef with mashers, carrots
Gumbo (williams sonoma slow cooker recipe)
Chicken Curry in a Hurry, modified to include cauliflower
Crab cakes, tartare sauce, steamed broccoli,
Roast pork loin, mashers, jus, and brussels sprouts
Tacos

On the menu for the coming weeks:
lentils and onions, squash soup
Pasta Puttanesca
Roast lamb (on of our favorite special meals
Flack steak with chimmichurri, roasted beets
crustless quiche
Mustard pork chops with wilted spinach and wild rice
turkey chili,
potato-leek soup with keilbasa
pasta carabonara
moroccan shrimp, couscous, asparagus
chicken piccata, beef stroganoff, 
seared scallops, tomato soup
Yum!
#187 of 192 Old 02-01-2014, 12:54 PM

Wellness mama has some great ideas for meal planning on her site.
#188 of 192 Old 02-01-2014, 05:01 PM

Starting third 6-week plan on Monday. Woohoo!
tracyamber likes this.

Married to my favorite man in '07. Our firstborn came along in April 2012 (HBC), and our second is on the way, due sometime in May 2014 (planning an HBAC).
#189 of 192 Old 02-01-2014, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieL View Post

Starting third 6-week plan on Monday. Woohoo!
Please share what you are planning.
#190 of 192 Old 02-01-2014, 10:47 PM

I just sorta go on my gut( hey a pun:)) sorta if that makes sense. I have nothing planned for this week. Last two weeks awesome
Chicken chickpea chili
Homemade pizza on the cast iron
Chicken masala
Sprouted grains
Stir fry noodles
Pad Thai
Breakfast for dinner( egg frittata with potatoes)
Enchilada casserole
#191 of 192 Old 03-13-2014, 04:55 PM

Oh have you all checked out this site? Great ideas that can simply be altered
http://www.budgetbytes.com
I love how she budgets the costs
#192 of 192 Old 07-06-2014, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Meal planning - I have not read this entire thread, but I shop once a month for canned and frozen things and once a week for vegies, paying careful attention to sales.

When my children were growing up and we were busy with soccer, boy scouts, religious school, baseball, 4H, they always knew what to expect for dinner. I served it at a certain time, and there was no eating between meals. I closed the kitchen between meals.

Monday - spaghetti with salad and homemade garlic bread
Tuesday - mac and cheese OR pasta primavera with fresh vegies finger foods
Wednesday - fish, steamed rice with a salad
Thursday - meatloaf with potato or hot dogs with a fresh vegies finger foods
Friday - chicken with kasha or rice or potato - borscht - homemade bread - and we had dessert too, ice cream or cheese cake or fruit compote.
Saturday - left overs from Friday or homemade pizza
Sunday - omelette

During the summer, I often substituted fresh fruit salads instead of cooking, buying whatever was on sale.
Now they are grown and fend for themselves.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page