Anyone ever go to a "dinner club" - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-07-2006, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
These type of places of sprouting up all over my area. Basicially you go in and "prepare" a bunch of meals to be cooked later. It can be a party style w a bunch of friends or they can prepare them for you for an additional fee.

http://www.thedinnerclub.biz/

It sounds a bit pricey to me since I feed my freezer all the time. OTH, why didnt I think of this??

Anyone try this?

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2006, 02:10 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I just went to one of these for the first time last weekend. Was it frugal? Nope. Was it convenient? Yep. We *could* feed our freezer but, realistically, we don't.

It's a lot more expensive than cooking your own meals but it's cheaper than going out to dinner or ordering pizza which, for us, is what it should be compared to.

Is it a long term solution? No, but it's nice to be able to do a couple sessions to get me through the next couple months.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

Old 06-07-2006, 03:28 PM

I've done it twice to help out with the newborn stage of our 4th child. I thought it was great. Stopped us from ordering pizza on those crazy days. Also its cheaper then pizza, healthier, and delicous! I'd like to do it again.

Czen
Old 06-11-2006, 11:14 PM

Wouldn't this be a great idea for a baby shower?!? Everyone could bring a frozen meal for the new mom (better make sure there's freezer room) or you could set it up for everyone to come and help put meals together! My friends here want to give me a shower...would it be tacky of me to suggest this?

+ (13 years together)= (9), (9), (2) and
Old 06-12-2006, 12:53 AM - Thread Starter

My playgroup already does something along the line w/ out the supper club. We have a "cassorole" shower for the mama at a playdate. Everyone brings a frzoen meal w instructn how to heat up etc. It goes over really well!

My moms group keeps signing up to do it and a few girls have really had fun. For me, the almost $200 price tag I say no way- I could spend that on cloth diapers! but i dont! But I also feed my freezer all the time and I am too frugal to think that $2-3 per serving is a good deal.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
Old 06-12-2006, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amys1st
My moms group keeps signing up to do it and a few girls have really had fun. For me, the almost $200 price tag I say no way- I could spend that on cloth diapers! but i dont! But I also feed my freezer all the time and I am too frugal to think that $2-3 per serving is a good deal.
$200 : that's a LOT of groceries! $2-3 a serving sounds crazy to me too! I often try to make it under $5 a meal for four of us! We often make double batches when cooking so that we can eat one, freeze one.

+ (13 years together)= (9), (9), (2) and
Old 06-12-2006, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

ditto- thats plenty of healthy groceries and feeding the freezer. I try to feed the 3 of us (and Maggie gets it later thru me nursing) for about $3 if I can. We figure feeding the freezer is money in the bank since its done and we can eat it- free and clear.

User Tag List