whole what waffles? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-13-2006, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
nak ... hello everyone! i don't normally frequent these boards. due to enlightenment i have been motivated to seek a healthier diet for our family.
i plan on posting a better intro, but i am in need of a whole wheat waffle recipe asap. please keep in mind that my children have grown up on nasty processed foods and a lot of junk food, so they need to be as yummy as possible TIA!
#2 of 7 Old 07-13-2006, 04:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have a fabulous recipe that I use, and often use some King arthur Flour's White Whole Wheat flour in it...as part of or all of the flour, depending on how much I feel like that day, and it still tastes great! And an idea would be to start out with perhaps a quarter or a half of the white whole wheat flour and then work your way up to totally the white whole wheat. It's still whole grain, but milder in taste and weight.

Here's the recipe:

Buttermilk Waffles (makes 3-4, depending on the size of the waffle iron):

The secret to great waffles is a thick batter, so don't expect a pourable one. The optional dash of cornmeal adds a pleasant crunch to the finished waffle. The recipe can be doubled or tripled. Make toaster waffles out of leftover batter, undercook the waffles a bit, cool them on a wire rack, wrap them in plastic wrap and freeze. Then pop them in the toaster for quick breakfast.

1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon cornmeal (optional)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 large egg, separated
7/8 cup buttermilk
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled

1. Heat a waffle iron. Whisk the dry ingredients together in a medium bowl. Whisk the egg yolk with the buttermilk and melted butter.

2. Beat the egg white until it just holds a 2-inch peak.

3. Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients in a thin, steady stream while mixing gently with a rubber spatula. (Do not add liquid faster than you can incorporate it into the batter.) Toward the end of mixing, use a folding motion to incorporate the ingredients. Gently fold the egg white into the batter.

4. Spread an appropriate amount of batter onto the waffle iron. Following the manufactorer's instructions, cook the waffle until golden brown, 2-5 minutes. Serve immediately. In a pinch, you can keep waffles warm on a wire rack in a 200-degree oven for up to five minutes.

Hope that helps! (this is from The New Best Recipes, by the editors of Cooks Illustrated)

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

#3 of 7 Old 07-14-2006, 12:08 AM

The multigrain pancake mix recipie in the Peggy's kitchen section on mothering.com is awesome. I don't even buy mix anymore at all!

Vanessa belly.gif, wife to Kev , mama to Byron (5) wild.gif and Billie (2) and  due in June
#4 of 7 Old 07-14-2006, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you sooooo much!! I can't wait to try them!
#5 of 7 Old 07-14-2006, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter

hmmmmmm ... this is going to sound stupid ... but where is peggy's kitchen?:
#6 of 7 Old 07-15-2006, 12:22 AM

http://www.mothering.com/sections/recipes/recipes.html
Here is the link to Peggy's kitchen
HTH!

Vanessa belly.gif, wife to Kev , mama to Byron (5) wild.gif and Billie (2) and  due in June
#7 of 7 Old 07-20-2006, 08:05 PM

waffles are a good thing to sneak fruit into too. Frozen blueberries are classic. You can also do shredded apple & or carrot. I love to have waffles on hand in the freezer. They toast up beautifully.

Best wishes on changing your diet! It is a tough thing to do because so much ofour habits & memories are based around our food. I think people have the most success with slow, subtle changes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page