2 year old -- how to teach good eating -- get them to eat healthy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-24-2006, 02:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, lately my toddler (she's turning two) is out of control (tantrums). I don't know if it's food related. My husband has cancer and it's been quite a year. She seems to act up when he or I act in or out.

She was very easy to feed -- now all of a sudden she wants what Grandma, Grandpa and Daddy are eating. I am trying to wean off sugar -- but the rest of the family is not.

How do I handle this? She will not eat vegetables. She has a tantrum until I give her Goldfish type of crackers, yogurt, and wants to eat grilled cheese and white bread like Grandma. I am just so burned out!

Any ideas or can you relate?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2006, 01:02 PM

Wow, you have got a lot on your plate! to you, Mama. I think it's important to remember that a lot of times, things like this are simply stages--it won't last forever. IMO, the only thing to do is keep trying. I keep putting broccoli in the mac and cheese, keep putting peas on dd's plate with her chicken "dippers," keep putting fruit on her breakfast plate. Sometimes, they'll be scarfed down, other times, not even touched. Usually, it's something in the middle. But the more they see, smell--and more importantly, see YOU eating it--the more familiar they'll be with the food, and the more likely they'll be to eat it.

Hang in there...!

(And just as an aside, right now dd is eating some cheese and Cheez-Its, lol, so you might want to take what I say with a grain of salt!)

Maria , wife to Frank and mama to Gracie (12/09/03) and Evie (06/24/09) , living in domestic bliss!
Old 07-29-2006, 03:02 PM

Wow, that's really tough. With dd, we just don't keep anything in the house that we wouldn't want her to eat, but it sounds like that's not entirely possible in your situation. Although if you really don't want her eating Goldfish on a regular basis, just don't buy them. She will get used to them not being available.
Kids will generally want to eat what they see the grown-ups eating, so it will help if at least you are eating healthy. With dd, it has helped to somehow make a new, healthy food fun. We get Pink Lady Apples, and she just loves that they're called that. It also helps just to keep healthy options out and in sight. I usually try to keep something healthy (baby carrots, bell pepper slices, grapes, cherry tomaotes, etc) out on the table. It's more likely to be eaten if it's in sight.
Good luck!
Old 07-30-2006, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the support and advise. It does help! I think now it's sort of -- I know what I need to do -- and making myself do it, type of thing. You know -- actually doing the changes!
Old 09-14-2006, 06:03 PM

Any chance of getting the grandparents on board with you? Of course, it helps if you can accomplish it in a way that doesn't sound like you think what they're eating is crap. Perhaps buy the food you'd like your child to eat and bring it to their house?
Old 10-13-2006, 01:56 AM

i take dds food to grandma's house everytime. it works out great. gp's know i am serious about her eating healthy foods since i bring it with me. they respect that too.

User Tag List