Grind your grains? homemade bread? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 07-30-2006, 12:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, so I'm completely new to this topic but it interests me!!!

Does anyone grind their own grains to make homemade bread? How does this process work?

Where do you buy your grains? Can it be any kind of grain?

Any information will be helpful, Thanks!
#2 of 13 Old 07-30-2006, 05:20 PM

Hi Kmecke,

I grind my own wheat. It works just the same as baking bread with flour from the store except that it rises better because the flour is already warm.
The bread is much more nutrious since the wheat hasn't lost any between grinding and using.
I use a grain called prairie gold wheat, but any hard winter wheat red or white will work. Also Spelt and Kamut can be used although I have never tried as they are expensive. The higher the gluten content the better the loaf. I buy my wheat through a co-op in 50# bags. Any health food store should sell it in their bulk section, I would start with 5 pounds.
Other grains can be used in addition to the wheat but you need to make adjustments for the differnt types.
The first bread baking book I bought was Sue Gregg's Yeast Breads, which has alot of the questions answered it was written so that children can learn to cook.
#3 of 13 Old 08-01-2006, 12:42 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the help?

I have tried to find a place where I can buy the book you mentioned with no luck. Where did you get your copy?
#4 of 13 Old 08-03-2006, 12:56 AM

I also grind the grain and cook ww bread. I find The Laurel's Kitchen Bread Book very helpful for whole grain bread baking. Its very comprehensive and walks one through the process of whole grain bread baking step by step. Their Desem bread is simply the best bread I've ever tasted.

I use a Bosch Universal bread machine to knead the bread, and that makes a big difference in the amount of time involved; it can do 6 loaves at once.

Any tips for good grinders that grind quickly and quietly? Or am I dreaming?

Good luck!
#5 of 13 Old 08-03-2006, 01:10 AM

cool thread!
interested in this also.....: :

sandrajoon, I have Laurel's kitchen also, and have just begun trying my hand at the basic whole wheat loaf. I feel like I should take a course, though, so I can watch, do, and ask questions, because although its been tasty, I just dont think its coming out exactly right.....

thanks for the thread, kemecke! I have just been thinking about this too, and was eyeing the whole grains at our co-op the other day.
:
#6 of 13 Old 08-04-2006, 09:51 PM

I make bread in the winter, but I make it from scratch. I have a Vita Mix that can grind the grain and then I make the dough, knead, rise, etc by hand. I have Mollie Katzen's books, The Enchanted Broccoli Forest, and it has good instructions and illustrations on making bread. I second the rec for Laurel's Kitchen, though.

To start, it might be best to just make whole wheat bread. My local HFS has hard wheat berries and that has been a good option for me, but I think I am going to start getting them through a co-op, too.

Emily SAHM to four unschoolers Olivia (9), Brian (7), Jack (6), and Liam (5)
#7 of 13 Old 08-04-2006, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmecke
Thank you for the help?

I have tried to find a place where I can buy the book you mentioned with no luck. Where did you get your copy?
To answer your question, have you tried amazon?

Emily SAHM to four unschoolers Olivia (9), Brian (7), Jack (6), and Liam (5)
#8 of 13 Old 08-04-2006, 11:18 PM

Sorry - haven't been on the forum for a few days, I have had my copy for almost 10 years I got it at a seminar, I think you can get it at www.suegregg.com.
If you have any more questions I can try to look them up for you from my copy.

Wendy
#9 of 13 Old 08-05-2006, 12:10 AM

If you live on a drop point for Azure Standard you can buy bulk grains from them and no shipping
#10 of 13 Old 08-14-2006, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto l&a
If you live on a drop point for Azure Standard you can buy bulk grains from them and no shipping
This is what I was going to say.
#11 of 13 Old 08-15-2006, 08:48 AM

I have a Vitamix and use their recipe/method for whole-grain bread. It's awesome.

Check out www.baking411.com for lots of in-depth tips, recipes, troubleshooting, etc. abotu baking (not just bread, but sweets as well). I also want to recommend Xenabyte's "Good Eats with Wheat" thread here in Nutrition and Good Eating. It's tremendous.
#12 of 13 Old 08-19-2006, 08:54 PM

I do bake my own bread, but I never thought to grind my own grain! Wow that is so interesting!
~bless~
Joni
#13 of 13 Old 08-28-2006, 01:21 AM

I haven't baked bread in a couple of years...due to a yucky schedule at work, but I was the only bread baker for 10 years while I lived with my parents. We ground our own wheat, my favorite mill is the Whisper Mill, tho I think it's marketed now as the Wonder Mill. It is relatively quiet and easy to clean up, so a winner.

You can buy the wheat as previously mentioned at health food stores, or co-op. Personally, I think white wheat makes the best (ie highest rising) loaf, but I like the richer taste of the Red.

I have used the Bosch machine, a variety of bread machines and good-ol' fashion hand kneading ... I think fresh ground wheat makes superior bread, no matter HOW you mix it up!

NOTE: just never forget the touch of salt...did that ONCE. Never did like the taste of cardboard. :P

~Tik

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page