Double Duty Dinners - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-25-2008, 03:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been making slow cooker stock from my farmer's market chickens, but wanted to know whether it produced too much stock by pouring in water to cover. I've not been getting as much as I am used to on the stove- but will not go back to cooking on the stove as my burners cook hot and the crockpot is so convenient! (And smells so yummy all night.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2008, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audsma View Post
I've been making slow cooker stock from my farmer's market chickens, but wanted to know whether it produced too much stock by pouring in water to cover. I've not been getting as much as I am used to on the stove- but will not go back to cooking on the stove as my burners cook hot and the crockpot is so convenient! (And smells so yummy all night.)
it just depends on your bone to water ratio. if it's full of collagen rich bones you'll get a nice stock if you over with water. if you just have a few bones, not so much.

if you want your stock to gel (and it should gel, that's the sign it's good stock!), add some chicken feet or wings to increase the bone to water ratio.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:04 AM

Whenever we grill a leg of lamb, I use the leftover for lamb stiry fry. I make big pots of black beans and then have a series of black bean meals: black beans & rice, black beans & cheese enchiladas, juevos rancheros, etc. Ditto for pinto beans...
Old 09-02-2008, 06:25 PM
Banned

I do pot pies with leftover veggies/rice -- just make a simple dough with flour/fat(oil/butter, whatever)/salt/baking soda/touch of water --

quiches with leftovers

salad with leftovers -- this was an especially good taco salad -- we had a taco night with beans/taco shells/cheese/guac etc and only had a couple of spoonfuls left of everything and a couple of taco shells. I just mixed it all in a huge salad and crumbled the taco shells in it.. it was so good!

I imagine you can do that with other things too.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:33 PM

Enchiladas were a favorite for my mom (and I love them, but my partner won't touch them). Leftover chicken or turkey or beef shredded and mixed with canned enchilada sauce and cheese (and jalepenos, olives, or veggies if you like), then rolled in tortillas, covered in more cheese and sauce, and baked. Easy peasy.

We also tend to eat leftover meat cold on salad or as part of an antipasto tray the next day.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:23 PM

I love this thread.

Bumping because all of those moved threads are distracting!

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (10) and Nathaniel (9) and Olivia (3).

User Tag List