Organic/natural cooking on a budget. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-14-2006, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Haven't posted here in a long time but I thought I'd check in here. Our budget is about to get very tight around here, but I want to continue feeding my family healthy. Anyone have any low cost menu ideas or places that have things fairly reasonable?

Deeanne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2006, 06:55 PM

I buy in bulk when possible, I spend a lot of time at the grocery stores comparing prices. Make everything homemade, because organic mixes are still more in my area than buying organic ingredients and making items myself (cakes, dips, hummus, bread etc.)
I order stuff from an online supplier also and watch the sales.
Old 08-18-2006, 03:32 AM

Not sure where you live but if you are interested in organic food more grocery chain stores are carrying organic food at reaonable prices. I usually shop at H.E.B but a couple of weeks ago I went to Walmart and they are now carrying a line of organic food too! Just my opinion but I think the prices are pretty reasonable, I bought a box of Kellogs Organic mini wheats for $2.99 last weekend?!?!?!? The fruits and veggies are typically the expensive stuff!
Old 08-19-2006, 09:29 PM

Eat lots of legumes and whole grains. Those are cheap and good for you. Organic/grass-fed meats are $$$$$!

I tend to put the emphasis on local vs. organic, and you can get great deals on produce at your local farmer's markets and farm stands.
Old 08-21-2006, 08:49 PM

Thank-you. I was wondering myself which to prioritize: local or organic. For example, I was buying brown rice and peaches last week and had the choice between local (and seasonal) california grown but not necessarily organic or from the other side of the country and organic. I picked the california grown though I was trying to buy everything organic. I think your idea is a good one.

As far as the topic: budget organic cooking. I am spending nearly twice as much money on groceries now that I'm buying everything organic, raw and free-range and am trying to whittle that down while still nourishing my husband and myself. I realized good food is going to cost...but yes, focus on grains and legumes with bits of organic free-range meat (think: 1 chicken breast chopped and stirfried with rice and veggies or made into a salad to feed 2 rather than a whole grilled chicken breast each... 1 steak made into 2 kabobs with vegis, etc). I find buying the best eggs I can find is worthwhile, we eat them all the time now- good, cheap protein compared to meat. Also, cutting out drinks saves me $10 a week or so (eating a whole orange is cheaper and healthier than oj). If the only fruit you can affoard is apples, buy them. Their nutrients are very balanced. Finally, in keeping with Nourishing Traditions advice I make oatmeal (which costs pennies) most days for breakfast and have pretty much cut out cereal...which though easy is expensive when you buy organic milk and organic boxed cereal.

My 2 cents,
Nicole

Happily married to DH for 6 years, in process to foster-adopt 3 children DD4, DS3 and DS2. We may be bringing half brother age 9 one day as well! We are not infertile, we just have decided that since there are precious children who need homes there is no need for us to have biological children.

Old 08-25-2006, 12:30 AM

We're also attempting to eat more Organic, made from scratch meals to save money/eat healthy/better eating habits, etc.

Two weeks ago we purchased our first crock pot and I'm quickly becoming a converted believer. The little machine makes it easier to prepare roasts, bean dishes, and soups (what we've experimented with so far). Getting dinner ready on time is tough for us, so doing the prep in the morning and having it ready when we get home makes more sense for our schedules.

I've now got a collection of Mason jars to fill with organic bulk foods like beans, barley, rice, quinoa, and lentils. Hopefully these staples will allow me to put together soups and stews more often and not have to buy prepackaged.

User Tag List