ahhh, tomatoes everywhere! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-26-2006, 11:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
seriously, I have had enough sauce, made enough sauce for freezing but now what?

I have on my list salsa, what else?

ahhhhhh....everyday there are more!!!!!!!

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2006, 10:37 AM

I'm in the same boat! You can make tomato soup and freeze or can that. Tomato paste. Spaghetti sauce (with seasonings, etc). I'm trying to figure out how to can just plain old diced tomatoes, as we use tons of those in cooking. Do you have a food mill? You could also do ground tomatoes for cooking. I'm subbing to see if anyone has other ideas, as we have 15 tomato plants and they're all ripening as I type!!!

:

(Couldn't resist that!)

jen

Edited to add: I just thought of tomato juice, ketchup, and BBQ sauce!
Old 09-08-2006, 03:18 PM

You can make bruschetta. It is wonderful on crusty bread topped with some shredded cheese.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratc
You can make bruschetta. It is wonderful on crusty bread topped with some shredded cheese.
Oh yum! Bruschetta sounds so fabulous right now! You made my mouth water just suggesting it.

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (10) and Nathaniel (9) and Olivia (3).
Old 09-12-2006, 03:32 AM

i just made chicken soup and added tomatoes when i added the fresh carrots and celery to the broth. it added a nice, sweet tang. we also eat a ton of omelets in my house, so that takes care of about 2 extra tomatoes/day.
Old 09-12-2006, 12:24 PM

I cut the stem part out of the tomatoes and froze them top (cut side) down on a cookie sheet. A couple of hours later, I put them in individual baggies and back in the freezer.

I use them in recipes that call for diced tomatoes or canned tomatoes or whatever.

I did this last year and it worked out beautifully. Usually, 2 tomatoes equals one can. (Of course I just look at recipes as suggestions and go from there.)
Old 09-15-2006, 06:29 PM

Have you tried drying them? They are great in salads!
Jada
Old 09-16-2006, 01:24 PM

this time of year we have BLTs a few times ti use up our surplus

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
Old 09-17-2006, 01:31 AM

I'm not, but we always did when I was a kid. My mom's garden (note that we are in CA) would yield enough tomatoes to can in quart jars and last through the rest of the year for a family of four that ate a LOT of pasta and chili.

ex-Californian, making my way on the East Coast with DS (10), DS (6) and WAHDH. Former extended BF'er, co-sleeper, and baby-wearer. Remembering how to garden.

Old 09-19-2006, 04:35 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
ooooh I've been dealing with this right now. You could do ketchup, we've done alot of whole peeled tomatoes in the freezer. You could do tomato leathers.

Stella, wild and gentle mama to Toby(12/14/04), Cedar(8/17/08), Luca (3/15/14), and one on the way!

Old 09-20-2006, 12:39 AM

I don't even cut the tops off my tomatoes. i lust freeze them whole, and use them through the winter.
You could can. Tomatoes are among the easiest foods to can
Make oven sun-dried tomatoes http://www.cooksrecipes.com/sauce/ov...es-recipe.html
Borscht! We made a ton of borscht and froze it for the winter. It used up 30lbs of tomatoes
Old 09-20-2006, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Hoppes View Post
I cut the stem part out of the tomatoes and froze them top (cut side) down on a cookie sheet. A couple of hours later, I put them in individual baggies and back in the freezer.

I use them in recipes that call for diced tomatoes or canned tomatoes or whatever.

I did this last year and it worked out beautifully. Usually, 2 tomatoes equals one can. (Of course I just look at recipes as suggestions and go from there.)
This is what I do when they threaten to overwhelm me! (except I don't even bother to cut off the tops -- just wash, dry and freeze.) You don't even have to thaw them when you are ready to use them. Just rinse with water and the peel will slide right off, then cut them still frozen and throw them into your chili, stew, sauce, whatever. For canning, it's best to use tomatoes you have picked that day or the previous day, but I've frozen tomatoes that have been picked for a few days. I froze a *lot* of tomatoes last year and they came in handy. I didn't need any canned tomato products except stewed tomatoes all year -- they lasted until this year's harvest. (This year I got my hands on a pressure canner and canned some stewed tomatoes too. Yay!)

Then there's always the time-honored tradition of giving them away! If you don't have any friends or family who can use them, and you really have tons, call a local food pantry and ask if you can drop off a bushel or so on a day they are handing out food. A pantry I once worked at would usually put donations like that right at the door for the clients to take on a first come, first serve basis. Popular produce such as tomatoes and sweet corn always went very fast.

Stephanie mom to Brianna (6/00) , Alexander (6/02) , and Ethan (9/07) .
Old 09-30-2006, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter

I did experiment with freezing...wasn't sure if they would work. glad to hear they can be frozen.

thanks!!!! I have a bunch more that I pulled before frost.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

Old 10-04-2006, 01:19 AM

Gazpacho!

I wish I had a garden with tomato overload...lately I've been CRAVING them...with fresh mozzarella, and just chopped up with chopped vidalia onions, olive oil, salt & pepper. Mmm!

User Tag List