Need spice reccomendations for crockpot chicken - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 09-12-2006, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I need some new flavors!! I usually crock up a whole bird for multiple meal usage. What spices/herbs/flavors do you use? Help me out!

Lay 'em on me, ladies!

ex-Californian, making my way on the East Coast with DS (10), DS (6) and WAHDH. Former extended BF'er, co-sleeper, and baby-wearer. Remembering how to garden.

#2 of 13 Old 09-13-2006, 06:07 AM

I'll have to look it up, but I have a recipe from an old crockery cookbook from the 70's. You mix a little ginger, pepper, chicken stock, and the juice from a 8 oz can of pineapple chunks. Put chicken in the crock pot, pour mixture over it. Put pineapple chunks over the chicken. Cook on low for 6-8 hours (or until chicken is tender). At the last 15 minutes, add some soy sauce and a thickener (corn starch). It's a little salty, but good. I think it calls for water chestnuts, and green onions, but we omit them.

Danielle, fabric artist, mama to Eleanor 5/05 and Charlotte James 09-26-09
#3 of 13 Old 09-13-2006, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

I often do a whole chicken to use for multiple meals. I'm just getting bored with the basic parsley/sage/rosemary options.

Today I threw in some Bragg's, marjoram and garlic powder. Hope it's not gross!

ex-Californian, making my way on the East Coast with DS (10), DS (6) and WAHDH. Former extended BF'er, co-sleeper, and baby-wearer. Remembering how to garden.

#4 of 13 Old 09-14-2006, 01:41 PM

I like Carribean Jerk.

Single mom of 2 boys
#5 of 13 Old 09-14-2006, 01:44 PM

I like a combination of sage, rosemary and garlic. (Tasty, but not overpowering, kwim?)

Visit www.evolutiontosimplicity.blogspot.com to follow my epic saga of single mummahood....

#6 of 13 Old 09-14-2006, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

What do you use for the Carribean Jerk - is it a prepared sauce/rub or do you do your own. How does it work for later usages of the chicken?

Sage, rosemary and garlic we do a LOT. It's good, but I was wanting something a little different. The braggs was ok. Kinda bland.

BUT, I'm reusing the cooking liquid with kidney beans and chili beans in chili gravy and I'll stir some chicken into it for dinner w/ corn bread. Maybe a green salad (though no one else will eat it but me. . .)

#7 of 13 Old 09-14-2006, 04:20 PM

Check out "Mrs. Dash" They have a lot more flavors now and they are salt free.
#8 of 13 Old 09-14-2006, 07:01 PM

My favorite crock pot chicken is just chicken (and usually carrots) with a can of whole berry cranberry sauce and 1 c of BBQ sauce.

It is absolutely delicious and always gets raves.
#9 of 13 Old 09-14-2006, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mrs. Dash! Never even thought of that!

Curious on the BBQ/Cranberry, does it wind up being really saucy? It sounds yummy! Do you do a whole chicken, or pieces?

#10 of 13 Old 09-15-2006, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmgarda
What do you use for the Carribean Jerk - is it a prepared sauce/rub or do you do your own. How does it work for later usages of the chicken?
We just buy a premixed version made by McCormick or something like that (has red label on the container) but I think it would be easy enough to DIY. I use it in all kinds of chicken dishes even if they aren't really "caribean" per se - love it!

Single mom of 2 boys
#11 of 13 Old 09-18-2006, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmgarda View Post
Curious on the BBQ/Cranberry, does it wind up being really saucy? It sounds yummy! Do you do a whole chicken, or pieces?
It is fairly saucy. But I normally cook it on low for about 8-10 hours so a lot of the water evaporates. And it isn't much BBQ sauce either - only 1 c.

I am lazy and generally do chicken pieces. But there is no reason you can't do a whole chicken.
#12 of 13 Old 09-21-2006, 10:20 AM

I just put half a lemon and half an onion in the cavity of the chicken, and put it in the crockpot with no extra water or anything. When the meat's falling off the bones, you'll have a lot of broth in the bottom of the crock, which is considered double-strength for soups, etc., so use that with an equal amount of water if you want to make soup from the leftovers. (If you refrigerate the brothy stuff, it will look like chicken Jell-o when it's cold, but mix it with equal amounts of water and heat it up...it's wonderful stuff!!)

I'm thinking I originally got the recipe from a cookbook from the lady who does FlyLady's recipes, but I've been doing chicken in a crockpot this way for so long that I don't remember the name of the book or anything.
#13 of 13 Old 09-21-2006, 11:10 AM

I'm really surprised that I haven't seen anyone mention thyme. I always thought it was the classic chicken herb! Maybe it was just my mom.

I like a recipe from Alton Brown's cooking show Good Eats that calls for garlic and thyme, but it is an oven recipe, not crock pot. I think you could easily do it in a crock pot though.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._16200,00.html

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page