Feed the freezer recipes - Page 15 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#421 of 699 Old 01-06-2008, 01:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks Amy! Sorry to be redundant. Would you mind giving me an estimate on how long I should cook the dumplings for? I have never made this dish before - I am basically making it for DH, who remembers it as a childhood favorite. I am hoping I will like it too, though I never liked the version my grandmother made. But, no disrespect to my Nana, she wasn't the greatest cook in the world.

I will post the KRC recipe when I get it from MIL. I know she doesn't put tomatoes in the casserole, but passes a dish of salsa at the table, to put on top if you want. Personally I prefer it this way, because otherwise the casserole is kind of pink, which I think is gross.

ETA: Would anyone be interested in a Shepherd's Pie recipe, or has this been done to death?
#422 of 699 Old 01-06-2008, 11:48 AM

Okay I am pretty good at searching MDC - but doing a search in this thread for all posts by Amys1st with the word chicken didn't turn up the famous DH chicken parma recipe. What am I doing wrong? I got a whole batch of chicken here and I wanna cook some and freeze it up for DH.

Normally I do chicken by breading and frying it, putting sauce, and then cheese on top. I wonder if the bread crumbs would freeze okay....also they are fried? I hope someone can post today! Hint Amy!

Yesterday they had a GREAT sale on canned, pureed tomatoes, 3 cans for $3. So I bought 9 cans and have a ginormous amount of tomato sauce simmering. I used to make my own sauce all the time, growing up with my proud Italian/irish mommy - we just didnt' "do" canned sauce. I have used jarred sauce from time to time as a mom, but I find I only like the good quality expensive ones. The one I like in particular is 8.99 (i only tried it cause i had a two for one coupon!). So I figure I will get at least 6 jars of sauce today, which is going to save me about $40!
#423 of 699 Old 01-06-2008, 09:13 PM

Here's what I piled in the freezer today:

(Gluten-free)

Pork Rolls

Two pork butt roasts (about 4-5 lbs total)
3 onions
One jar salsa
Two bars cheddar/colby/jack cheese, shredded
One can refried beans
Maybe 30-40 corn tortillas - I buy them from a Mexican tortilleria *sp?) for $1 a package, they are so fresh and good

Put the pork in the crockpot with water to just cover it and layer the onions under and over and around it. Cook for overnight or 8 hours on low.

Shred pork and remove fat/bones. Mix it with refried beans, cheese and salsa.

Heat the tortillas to make them pliable (I lightly fry them in a pan) and roll the mixture into each. I stack them on plates until cool and then freeze in bags, around eight in each.

Serve by toasting or broiling until crisp; then top as your preference. I put crema or sour cream and shredded cabbage with some hot sauce on top of them.
#424 of 699 Old 01-06-2008, 11:30 PM

OK, here is the recipe for the King Ranch chicken I made tonight. It was yummy. I baked a double batch and froze one. I have never actually frozen it before but I think it should be fine. If I run into a problem I will post about it! This recipe is a good way to use up leftover chicken.

1 can condensed cream of chicken soup
1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 cup chicken broth
1 can Rotel tomatoes
about 10 corn tortillas
approx. 3 cups cooked chicken
1 small onion, chopped
about 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

Cut up chicken into bite sized pieces and put in the bottom of a large casserole dish. Next, layer the chopped onion, then top with the tortillas, cut up into bite sized strips. In a blender, combine the soups, broth, and Rotel and blend. I like spicy food so I added some cumin and some chili powder to the soup mixture. Pour the liquid over the top of the casserole. Run a knife down the sides of the casserole dish to allow the soup mixture to seep down in there. Bake uncovered at 350F for about 30 minutes, then put the shredded cheese on top and bake for 5 minutes more. Let stand for a good 10 minutes before serving, or it will be too runny. I served it with salsa and tortilla chips and a salad, though it would be good with beans too.

I didn't think my MIL used tomatoes in it, but I guess running the whole thing through the blender keeps it from being pink. Enjoy!
#425 of 699 Old 01-07-2008, 02:28 PM

goodcents~ will you post your sauce recipe? I know it's probably a basic enough thing, but mine NEVER turns out right.....burn the garlic, start over, too thin, then what..... my mil makes good sauce but its different all the time. DH will make chunky marinara but thats not what I want. just sauce.

THANKS!
#426 of 699 Old 01-07-2008, 04:13 PM

mamadege here is a loose recipe. like you MIL mine comes out slightly different every time. i just go a lot on intuition. here is the thing about tomato sauce - the longer you cook it the better it is. imho. you MUST cook it on the lowest flame possible. its just a gentle, slow coaxing of a simmer.

also, from time to time you will notice bright orange bubbles floating on the top of the pot. skim these off. or at least you are supposed to. my mom used to say that was the tomato acid. i don't know if i believe her, but i still skim it off.

this will make about 5 4 cup containers

4-5 cans of tomatoes. these are the large ones. we generally use progresso brand. you can get the whole peeled tomatoes and run them through the processor or the blender. or you can used crushed tomatoes which eliminates the processor step.

i buy what is on sale - this week it was crushed. if you DH likes a chunkier sauce you may want to get the whole peeled because then you can control how chunky or smoothe the sauce is.

3-4 large garlic cloves crushed
1 small yellow onion chopped
2 or 3 stems fresh basil (i usually chop 1 stem and then just stick the other 2 in whole and pull them out later. with the whole ones make sure to break or crumble the stems/leaves in a few a places to release the aroma of the herb)
salt and pepper to taste
1-2 tablespoons of olive oil
dried parsley (maybe 2 tbls?) to taste. again - crush the herb to release the aroma
dried oregano (1 tbl) i go light on the oregano myself
dried basil if you don't have fresh

put the olive oil in the bottom of a large soup pot. put in garlic and onion. saute until translucent - you are flavoring the oil essentially.

combine tomato puree, herbs, salt and pepper to taste.

let simmer long long long! taste it after 2 or 3 hours. if it seems to missing something add a dash of this or that. again - be careful with the oregano it can zap a sauce.

so that is it. some sauces are better than others. yesterday's was pretty good. there is no rhyme or reason to it, other than, as i said the longer you cook it the better it seems to be. i don't cook it longer than 5 hours usually.
#427 of 699 Old 01-07-2008, 07:58 PM

I am new to feeding the freezer, but I tried my hand at it this weekend. My dh is a hunter, so we have a freezer full of venison. I defrosted and cooked 6 pounds of ground venison and made:
Spaghetti Sauce
Taco Meat
Sloppy Joe Meat
Venison Veggie Soup

Chicken was also on sale so I made:
BBQ Chicken for sandwiches
Chicken Fajita Meat

I also made some baked goods:
Whole Wheat Blueberry Pancakes
Whole Grain Waffles
Whole Wheat Applesauce Muffins
Whole Wheat Banana Muffins

I had a lot of fun. I'm looking forward to making more things to fill up the freezer.
Christi

wife, SAH, LDS momma. I have a 14yr ds & 16yr ds ,3yr dd & 4 mo. dd (6/09) and 16yr dsd, 14yr dss.
#428 of 699 Old 01-07-2008, 08:45 PM

I make my sauce like goodcents but I also add whatever veggies I have in the house - carrots, red peppers, zuccini, kale (or spinach or chard), mushrooms, etc.

I also add a little sugar....

and then I always puree it - my kids don't like it chunky. I use an immersion blender

I'm Andrea - I have three boys - 12 year old twins & an 11 year old

#429 of 699 Old 01-07-2008, 10:07 PM

oh yeah - that is like the only way i can get my kids to eat dark greens. i often puree kale or spinach and throw it in with pesto pasta.

on other notes my frozen burritos were tasty. i had them for lunch today. would have never known they were frozen.

still no sign of that chicken parm recipe Amys1st? :
#430 of 699 Old 01-14-2008, 01:15 AM

This week I fed my freezer:
chicken stock in ice cube trays
pesto
white beans and rice
chicken strips
turkey meatballs
grated parsnips
#431 of 699 Old 01-14-2008, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcents View Post
oh yeah - that is like the only way i can get my kids to eat dark greens. i often puree kale or spinach and throw it in with pesto pasta.
Oh! That's a great idea. It might even work on me! (I'm not a fan of the dark leafy greens : )

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#432 of 699 Old 01-14-2008, 02:37 AM

If you use fresh tomatoes in your sauce, you can roast them in the oven before you put them in the pot, which makes them taste sweet/smoky, like roasted red peppers. It is really good with fresh basil and parsley. You can also roast some garlic in there along with the tomatoes, then throw the whole thing in a food processor, blender, etc. along with the fresh herbs. Or, if you want a zing in there along with the rich smoky sweetness, you could briefly saute the garlic in olive oil before throwing it in there to simmer. Or crush it and put in in raw, for that matter. Onions, peppers, mushrooms, meat, olives, squash, spinach, chard, whatever you have on hand works well for add ins. Artichokes. Pineapple! lol I bet that would be good.
#433 of 699 Old 01-14-2008, 02:43 AM

BTW - I realized my post is misleading. By "roast" I mean put them under the broiler for 10 - 15 minutes, until the skin turns black. Then cover them until they cool, then peel the skin off.
#434 of 699 Old 01-17-2008, 07:14 PM

Amys1st where did you go girl? Was still wondering about that parm recipe.

Also I wanted to let you know re. mashed potatoes I did have great success with this recipe for twice baked ones. I didn't notice any grittiness or texture issues at all. The potatoes are totally creamy, I reheated/defrosted them exactly as per the recipe instructions.

That said, I want to share this. I hate reheated chicken. It always tastes weird to me when everyone else thinks it tastes just fine. So maybe the potatoes thing is the same ya know?
#435 of 699 Old 01-17-2008, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

The parm recipe is classified. I can tell you but then I would have to....

J/K!! I will ask DH tonight. Thats his speciality that we ate out of the freezer this week!

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#436 of 699 Old 01-19-2008, 03:10 PM

Subbing. When I have more time, I'm going to come back to this thread and write down some of these meal ideas. My goal is to have at least 3, preferably 4, weeks of meals in our deep freeze for when the baby arrives.

Mama to my 3 wild things.

#437 of 699 Old 01-22-2008, 12:52 PM

subbing
#438 of 699 Old 02-11-2008, 01:54 PM

Subbing, I'm going to have to come back and write all these ideas down, and hopefully come up with my own to share.
#439 of 699 Old 02-12-2008, 05:00 PM

Subbing....
#440 of 699 Old 02-17-2008, 09:55 PM

We bought an upright freezer this weekend! After a year of planning and saving and only making one extra of the occasional dish, I now have so much extra space!

This week we ate salmon cakes, bean burritos and shredded chicken (used for dumplings) out of the freezer. :
I fed the freezer black beans (soaked and cooked dried beans) for a crockpot soup I plan to make next week.

On my wish list to make and feed my new freezer:

Small fryer chickens (next time they are on sale)
milk (when on 99c sale)
lasagna - 6 batches
tuna casserole - 2
bean burritos - 3 dozen
crab and salmon cakes
pancakes - ??? lots for DS
turkeys next Thanksgiving
ground beef
venison
extra CSA veggies (instead of letting them spoil like sometimes happened last summer)

Happy wife to DH superhero.gifand mama to DS signcirc1.gif11/05 and DD energy.gif8/07.
#441 of 699 Old 02-22-2008, 08:20 PM

OK, been a busy week!

10 individual servings of lasagna
2 servings leek & potato soup (we'll see how this re-heats)
chilli
pork roast
lentil soup
meatballs (4lbs!!!)
s'ghetti sauce
flour
almonds

Can you tell I'm nesting?

me, wife to dh, the movie geek (7/01), mama to ds1, budding Star Wars geek (10/05), dd, budding princess of the dirt (03/08) and ds2, budding extrovert. watch out! (8/10).
#442 of 699 Old 02-27-2008, 09:11 PM

I have 2 portions of each: king ranch chicken, lasagne roll ups (4 total), and shepherds pie. DH's new job doesn't have a blasted microwave though, which really stinks because we have all this lunch food!
#443 of 699 Old 02-27-2008, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaspeach View Post
I have 2 portions of each: king ranch chicken, lasagne roll ups (4 total), and shepherds pie. DH's new job doesn't have a blasted microwave though, which really stinks because we have all this lunch food!
Can I ask how King Ranch Chicken is?? I've seen the recipe in Southern Living a few times, but have never tried it.

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#444 of 699 Old 02-27-2008, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by umsami View Post
Can I ask how King Ranch Chicken is?? I've seen the recipe in Southern Living a few times, but have never tried it.
It's pretty good, I like it. we're in texas and rotel is a texas thing - king ranch chicken is comfort food for DH and me. It can be as spicy as you want it to be. DH likes to make it with flour tortillas instead of corn, I feel like the flour tortillas get kind of mushy/slimey but they make a nicer crust on top. (here's a recipe for anyone who is curious). I add extra diced green chiles because we have like 8 lbs in our freezer right now.

just think of it as tex-mex lasagna
#445 of 699 Old 03-06-2008, 10:33 AM

Does anyone have suggestions (and recipies, please) for dairy-free freezer meals? I have been really struggling to get dinner on the table between illness and DH working so much, but my go-to meals all seem to include cheese or milk.

Also, any breakfast food recipies that are freezeable? Muffins? I already do pancakes regularly.

Happy wife to DH superhero.gifand mama to DS signcirc1.gif11/05 and DD energy.gif8/07.
#446 of 699 Old 03-06-2008, 01:51 PM

Muffins are a great freezer food-I make a bunch and freeze all the time. I just thaw the appropriate amount overnight on the counter or take it out and microwave for about 30 seconds. It's great! I usually do banana muffins, FWIW.

A supportive military wife and mama to my busy boy and sweet girl.
#447 of 699 Old 03-09-2008, 01:18 AM

I love this thread!! I just read through (well, skimmed, to be honest) all 600 pages!!

The only problem I have is... which new idea to try first!!

mom to G 6/19/03 and M 9/9/06
#448 of 699 Old 03-09-2008, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole! View Post
Muffins are a great freezer food-I make a bunch and freeze all the time. I just thaw the appropriate amount overnight on the counter or take it out and microwave for about 30 seconds. It's great! I usually do banana muffins, FWIW.
Will you post the recipe please?

#449 of 699 Old 03-12-2008, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilcrunchie View Post
A lasagne roll up (in our house anyway LOL) means that I just take the cooked noodle, and lay it vertically in front of me. I take a spoon of filling (ricotta, mozzerella, egg, and seasonings, sometimes finely chopped chicken or ground meat too), and spread it along the length of the noodle. I then roll it up, jelly roll style I guess.

I take these and flash freeze on a cookie sheet until firm...about an hour, and put into a freezer container. THen I can pull out as many or few as I want at a time. Top with sauce and bake. For DH, DS and I, I'll pull out 6-7 rolls. THat way i don't have a huge pan of lasagne to use up since there are only 2.5 of us to eat it. For us, it works out better if I'm looking to make bigger quanities but in smaller serving sizes.

Does that make sense at all? :
that is an EXCELLENT idea!! it must take up much less space too compared to a pan of lasagna.
#450 of 699 Old 03-12-2008, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaspeach View Post
It's pretty good, I like it. we're in texas and rotel is a texas thing - king ranch chicken is comfort food for DH and me. It can be as spicy as you want it to be. DH likes to make it with flour tortillas instead of corn, I feel like the flour tortillas get kind of mushy/slimey but they make a nicer crust on top. (here's a recipe for anyone who is curious). I add extra diced green chiles because we have like 8 lbs in our freezer right now.

just think of it as tex-mex lasagna

: mmmmmm....king ranch chicken...my Texan hubby introduced me to that when I was yet a Kansas girl lol

Tags
Food Items , Nutrition Good Eating

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page