Feed the freezer recipes - Page 17 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-04-2008, 03:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've usually only frozen meals for postpartum which is why I've started doing it again this week but I really like the idea of doing this on a regular basis since I like to cook in larger portions anyway.

As soon as we move and get settled I def want to get a deep freezer so I can do this. I know it will save us on eating out when I don't want to cook.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2008, 05:23 PM

Bumping because all of those moved threads are distracting!

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (10) and Nathaniel (9) and Olivia (3).
Old 09-19-2008, 03:31 PM

anyone know if quiche freezes well? it would be easy to make two and freeze the second, i've just never tried it.
Old 09-19-2008, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pazerific View Post
anyone know if quiche freezes well? it would be easy to make two and freeze the second, i've just never tried it.
I have frozen it and it turns out well. I cook it all the way through first but I use a pie shield around the crust during the first cook and the reheating process.
Old 09-20-2008, 08:48 AM

what is a pie shield?

i have had mixed results with freezing quiche. sometimes mine turns out watery.
Old 09-20-2008, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcents View Post
what is a pie shield?

i have had mixed results with freezing quiche. sometimes mine turns out watery.
This is a really great quiche recipe that freezes well...It doesn't turn out watery at all because it's not super eggy. I do use a less cheese than the recipe calls for. I also leave out the ham and use turkey bacon.

A pie shield is a round thing that protects the crust from becoming overcooked while having still having an open center so the pie cooks. You can also just put a long, thin piece of foil around the crust to do the same thing.
Old 09-28-2008, 06:56 PM

Wow, what a great thread! I think I'll be doing a lot of this now that the weather is finally cooling down enough that I can stand to have the oven on!

I just checked Craigslist for vacuum sealers and there are few out there... any recs?

Robin, strong and happy single mama to Anna (7/06)
"Au milieu de l'hiver, j'ai découvert en moi un invincible été."
Old 09-29-2008, 11:35 PM

subbing :

obstruct livery vehicles

Old 09-30-2008, 10:25 AM

subbing, I need some ideas for postpartum meals! :

SAHM to my wonderful constellationwild.gif 5/2006 & northern light bouncy.gif1/2009 fly-by-nursing1.giffambedsingle2.gifslingboy.gif
Old 09-30-2008, 11:34 AM

I guess I need to start thinking post pardum too. My problem is......we have an above the fridge freezer and a small upright. While I know this should be adequate space, it seems like it used up after a good stock up of sale meats and such.

How do you all handle this? Do you just skip the freezer and just make them into meals asap?

What kind of containers are you all using?

Best ways for storing (and not losing) things in an upright, or just a freezer period?

I did read this thread some time ago, I'm not gonna read it again right now. Sorry if these questions have already been answered.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:49 AM

Quote:
What I have done with good results is freeze the uncooked quiche filling in a freezer bag. Thaw it in the fridge and then bake as usual in your pie shell, which you could also make in advance and freeze.

Sarah, with 3.5 yo DD Charlotte + brand new baby Eleanor Jane April 28, 2010
Old 10-03-2008, 09:31 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Wow, lots of good ideas in here.

I don't freeze a lot of pre-cooked items but I usually freeze:

meatloaf or meatloaf patties
hamburger patties
chicken breasts (uncooked)
pork chops (uncooked)
chili w/beans
pinto beans and other beans I cook myself
chicken pot pies
casseroles
lasagna

19 yr old
12 yr old
5 yr old
Old 10-03-2008, 05:09 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
i just found this thread and haven't had time to read it all, but it's full of good ideas. here's mine:

whenever I make dinner and I have too much, I bake several portions in muffin tins. Afterwards I freeze them, then bag them, so you have small portions. this is great for casserole type things, and makes an easy lunch when you just want one serving.

I usually buy those disposable aluminum pans at the store (but I reuse them as many times as possible).

My regular frozen meals are:
chili
lasagna
zuchini/pumpkin muffins

I'm trying the lasagna rolls today, and I'm going to start doing more!

Mama to two little ones,

& one in heaven

Old 10-04-2008, 11:25 PM

Our local grocery store has a crazy sale on bulk meats yearly. This is what I put into my freezer: 50 POUNDS of meat!!! made into:

6-7 different kinds of boneless/skinless chicken breasts with marinades (these were the easiest to do, I just poured dressings-- Italian, roast garlic. And a couple I squeezed dijon mustard and honey-- mmmmm)

Cubed chicken for tacos-- I got a McCormick seasoning packet for chicken tacos (69c) and just added it and a bit of water. I wrote the recipe on the bag, so when I want to make tacos, I can just look at the bag.

shredded chicken

Slow cooker sloppy joes-- This is my favorite actual recipe. I have adapted it from Betty Crocker's slow cooker cook book. 3 pounds of beef browned with onion (about half an onion-- to taste). Drain, and cool enough to put in gallon bag. Add a can of spaghetti sauce (this time I added an 8 oz can of tomato sauce and a seasoning packet of spaghetti mix and a half can(4oz) of water) to the bag, an 1/4 cup BBQ of your choice (I have tried all flavors and have never noticed a difference). the recipe calls for celery, but I use half a green bell pepper instead. I think it tastes better. Chop the bell pepper up and put it all in the bag. Slow cook on low for 8-12 hours, or on high for 5-7 hours. Serve on hamburger buns

Meatballs-- basic meatloaf recipe. I added two eggs instead of one. the trick to these is only to brown 3-5 balls at a time, so there is enough room to roll them onver without breaking them.

hamburgers-- I add an egg or two and whatever veggies I have on hand. Corn, bell peppers and onions are winners here. I put in dried tomatoes in this batch. Cheese is also a great idea!

I also browned a pound of beef at a time with onions. This is a great time saver, and I use this in my Queso Fundido recipe-- brown beef (see! Already done!) and onions. Add bell peppers, corn, garlic, cumin, oregano to taste. Add chili powder as desired. Lastly add lots of cheese (I usually use a pound mix of mozz and cheddar). serve with tortilla chips (we LOVE Tostitos hint of lime here).

We also have 15 pounds of bacon that I just froze raw. I would like recipes for those as well .
Old 10-10-2008, 12:21 AM

If I make enchiladas to freeze do I still dip the tortillas in the sauce and sprinkle with cheese before freezing? Or should I wait until I'm ready to bake them and add the sauce and cheese then?

obstruct livery vehicles

Old 10-10-2008, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal_R View Post
If I make enchiladas to freeze do I still dip the tortillas in the sauce and sprinkle with cheese before freezing? Or should I wait until I'm ready to bake them and add the sauce and cheese then?
I just froze enchiladas yesterday to put in the freezer and wondered the same thing! I ended up deciding to flash freeze them (without any salsa/sauce/cheese on top...just dry tortillas with the stuff inside) and then putting them in a freezer bag. I'll add the topping/cheese after thawing them, before putting them in the oven... I think it saves space this way (in a freezer bag, as opposed to a baking dish), but I do wonder if they'd still turn out okay with the sauce/cheese frozen too.....
Old 10-10-2008, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzyemm View Post
Meatballs-- basic meatloaf recipe. I added two eggs instead of one. the trick to these is only to brown 3-5 balls at a time, so there is enough room to roll them onver without breaking them.
Just thought I'd share a tip which would simplify the meatball process...bake instead of frying. I always do a cookie sheet or two at a time, and bake at 350 until cooked through, probably about 20 minutes.

Carlyn - loving and caring for my family.
Married 13 years, mama to 12 (boy), 8, 6, 4, 1 (girls)
Old 10-10-2008, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlyn View Post
Just thought I'd share a tip which would simplify the meatball process...bake instead of frying. I always do a cookie sheet or two at a time, and bake at 350 until cooked through, probably about 20 minutes.
we bake our meatballs too. yum

I'm Andrea - I have three boys - 12 year old twins & an 11 year old

Old 10-11-2008, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlyn View Post
That's a great tip! Do I have to turn the meatballs? I noticed that if I left the meatballs in one place, it was harder to turn them and they started to fall apart.

Crystal R-- I don't dip my tortillas in sauce, but I have frozen them before. They are pretty foolproof. With corn tortillas, I dip them in hot oil, stuff them, then pour cheese and sauce. Then I freeze them.

With flour tortillas, I don't fry them first, I just fill them up and pour the sauce and cheese on them.

The flash freezing is a good idea. If you line the pan with wax paper, you can do it my way too (maybe add more sauce after thawing). Let them reeze, and then put the enchiladas in baggies.
Old 10-11-2008, 03:41 AM

IME, if something is intended to be cooked in a sauce, it is better to freeze it in the sauce, otherwise it comes out dry.
Old 10-11-2008, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzyemm View Post
That's a great tip! Do I have to turn the meatballs? I noticed that if I left the meatballs in one place, it was harder to turn them and they started to fall apart.
I don't turn the meatballs, they seem to brown pretty evenly in the oven. And they hold together well. Here's the recipe I use (my mom's):

Mix together and form into meatballs (hands work best to mix it all together):
1 ½ lbs. ground beef
¾ c. rolled oats
½ c. milk
1 egg
1-2 T. finely chopped onion
1-2 garlic cloves, minced
Bake on cookie sheet in 350F oven for 15-20 minutes or until no longer pink in centre.

Old 10-11-2008, 03:41 PM

If I freeze pancakes do I need to put a layer of wax paper between each pancake when I stick it in the bag or can i just toss 5 or 6 in each bag?

obstruct livery vehicles

Old 10-11-2008, 10:54 PM

We just put ours all in a bag, and they easily come apart when needed. We make fat fluflly ones.

Old 10-12-2008, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal_R View Post
If I freeze pancakes do I need to put a layer of wax paper between each pancake when I stick it in the bag or can i just toss 5 or 6 in each bag?
you can flash freeze them flat and then put them a bag to store.

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

Old 10-13-2008, 12:23 PM

I've always cooked meatloaf and then frozen it and reheated whole to serve. I usually do this if I have casual guests coming and don't want to spend a lot of time on food prep while they're there. It always seems a littel dry when I reheat it. Can I freeze it raw? It has eggs and milk and breadcrumbs as well as onions & peppers. If I do freeze it raw, how long to defrost??? I usually make a three pounder! Would love to hear from those who've had success.

Thanks!
Old 10-13-2008, 08:11 PM

I froze meatloaf raw and it worked out really well to bake when it was thawed. I don't remember how long it took to thaw, I probably left it out all day and then baked it before supper, but I'm sure that's not the "food safe" method!

Old 10-13-2008, 09:26 PM

Thanks Carlyn! I'm going to try it.
Old 10-15-2008, 02:16 AM

Love all the great recipes and advices here!!!

Wondering-- I have a recipe from that Deceptively Delicious book for chicken nuggets but I don't see any mention of it being freezer-friendly. Does anyone know if there is anything special I need to do to freeze nuggets best? Can I just cook 'em up and let them cool, then stick them in a ziploc?

Thanks!!
Old 10-21-2008, 01:37 PM

What a great thread everyone!! Thanks for all the great tips.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:10 PM

Loving this thread!

Tags
Food Items , Nutrition Good Eating
User Tag List