Feed the freezer recipes - Page 19 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-07-2009, 03:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
Did someone already post this? Or did I get the ideas from here? I can't remember, but anyway.

Last monday I made a big ole batch of blueberry pancakes, froze them.
Yesterday I made a huge batch of apple waffles, froze them.

They are awesome for a quick breakfast. Just pull out however many you need from your bag and pop em in the toaster or microwave.
this is an awesome suggestion. i did this while preparing for kiddo 2 to be born.. i froze them in groups of 10.

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2009, 06:12 AM

:
Baby's due soon and don't want to lose this thread.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
Old 03-07-2009, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleine Hexe View Post
I just made apple rolls for the freezer. You could experiement with the ingredients. The basic ingredients are: 1 cup grated apples, 1/2 cup oil (I think I'll use less next time), 3/4 cup pure maple syrup. Boil those three ingredients until desired consistancy and remove from heat. Add 3 cups quick oats and combine. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto wax paper and let cool. Roll into balls and put in fridge or freezer. No baking. Ready to eat as is.

I rolled some balls in wheat germ and sprinkled some with cinnamon. If I had crushed nuts I'd use that too. I think nutmeg would be good and maybe some type of nut butter.

Super easy and endless possiblities.
ok I know this is old but has anyone else tried this?? I wonder if regular oats would work, I read this whole thread and just scored a food saver on freecycle so I'm gonna feed my freezer this week!
eta: would half molasses half maple syrup work? I use molasses a lot for a sweetener.

I just love the way kisses make ''booboo's'' all better.
Old 03-10-2009, 01:09 AM

So, I have a recipe for pizza dough/homemade pizza, and it says it freezes well. Can I freeze just the ball of dough once its made or do I need to freeze and a made and/or baked pizza? What works best? Thanks!
Old 03-10-2009, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaPam View Post
So, I have a recipe for pizza dough/homemade pizza, and it says it freezes well. Can I freeze just the ball of dough once its made or do I need to freeze and a made and/or baked pizza? What works best? Thanks!
My aunt always rolled hers out on the pan she'd normally use to cook it and then froze it (on the pan).
The other thing you can do if you're doing casserole style dishes is freeze them in the container you'd cook them in, then remove and wrap them in foil once they're frozen so you can continue to use the container until it's time to cook that casserole. Not sure if anyone's brought that up.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
Old 03-13-2009, 04:48 PM

I asked this a while ago and was advised to freeze cooked pizzas. I do this and they defrost really well. I make them on a rectangular tray then slice into smaller rectangles and freeze. For the boys lunches I just take a couple of slices out of the freezer and put them in their boxes in the fridge overnight. By the time they eat them at midday they are just fine.

I have yet to reheat any from frozen but I imagine if you left the cheese off when freezing you could just top with cheese and cook for about 10 mins.
Old 03-14-2009, 11:35 PM

I just made Farmhouse Chicken that I got off a blog tonight. We made one for dinner and froze one for after the baby gets here. It was very yummy. I liked that it didn't use an canned condensed soup like many casserole recipes. I added half a zucchini and half a yellow squash so that it had more veggies.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:28 PM

Subbing:
Old 03-27-2009, 11:52 PM

with number three due around the corner I figured now is a good time to start feeding the freezer. This thread is making my head spin, but in a really good way!!

SO many good recipes!!!!

I can't wait till we move and can have a stand alone freezer:
Old 03-27-2009, 11:58 PM

ok why am i so excited now to feed the freezer. lots to read here..
Old 03-28-2009, 12:01 AM

ok stoopid question for the experts:
any tips on the safest freezing with the least amount of plastic? I used to buy freezer ziplocs from costco when I got a lot of meat there. I got away from that. My thrifty mom reuses teh grocery bags, but they're a pain to label. do i need to worry about freezer burn if I just wrap it in saran wraP? I guess I should start collecting more containers....
Old 03-28-2009, 05:11 PM

When you make a casserole/one dish recipe that you bake- how do you freeze it if? Provided that it's not really something that you'd want to spoon into a Ziploc bag once it's cooked, kwim?

Those disposable foil pans with plastic lids? They don't seem like they'd be very airtight for freezer use.

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

Old 03-28-2009, 11:58 PM

i chill it, cut it into servings, flash freeze and then double wrap. if it's a "scoopy" thing that can't be cut into a block, i scoop it into single serving containers and freeze or plop servings onto a parchment lined baking sheet, flash freeze and then load into a bag.

i never freeze a whole casserole unless it's uncooked.

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

Old 03-29-2009, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelnut View Post
ok stoopid question for the experts:
any tips on the safest freezing with the least amount of plastic? I used to buy freezer ziplocs from costco when I got a lot of meat there. I got away from that. My thrifty mom reuses teh grocery bags, but they're a pain to label. do i need to worry about freezer burn if I just wrap it in saran wraP? I guess I should start collecting more containers....
i usually wrap in heavy duty foil and then place in a heavy duty freezer bag. i rarely use plastic wrap for anything. i wash out and reuse freezer bags. i wouldn't use grocery bags. they aren't heavy enough and i don't think they are "food safe."

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

Old 03-30-2009, 12:24 PM

I tend to freeze everything in glass - either jars for soups, sauces etc or those pyrex bowls that have lids. i have several that have plastic lids and seal quite well. I have seldom had a problem with freezer burn or the food picking up smells from the freezer. I find that most plastics have nasty chemicals that leech into the food during freezing - specially high fat foods and that glass is a lot safer. also all plastics, whether they are ziploc bags, saran wrap or containers are petroleum byproducts, unless they are some of those new generation eco-friendly plastics (which sadly are not available in South Africa at this stage). Plastic wrap is from what I have read particularly toxic - specially with anything with fat in it.

ANNIE - Crunchy WAHM to 2 boys & baby girl born 12July08 ~From contentment with little comes happiness â African Proverb
Old 03-30-2009, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieMarie View Post
I tend to freeze everything in glass - either jars for soups, sauces etc or those pyrex bowls that have lids. i have several that have plastic lids and seal quite well. I have seldom had a problem with freezer burn or the food picking up smells from the freezer. I find that most plastics have nasty chemicals that leech into the food during freezing - specially high fat foods and that glass is a lot safer. also all plastics, whether they are ziploc bags, saran wrap or containers are petroleum byproducts, unless they are some of those new generation eco-friendly plastics (which sadly are not available in South Africa at this stage). Plastic wrap is from what I have read particularly toxic - specially with anything with fat in it.
I do that too, but I have yet to find a solution to the frozen meat problem, and unfortunately we still buy in bulk and then cut and separate into ziplocks, which makes me cringe. I suppose I could stock up on freezer paper and tape, but does it really protect against freezer burn?

I think I'm going to have to try this because the more I think about the ziplocks the more icked out I am.

for intuitive readings click here :
Old 03-30-2009, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeyes View Post
I do that too, but I have yet to find a solution to the frozen meat problem, and unfortunately we still buy in bulk and then cut and separate into ziplocks, which makes me cringe. I suppose I could stock up on freezer paper and tape, but does it really protect against freezer burn?

I think I'm going to have to try this because the more I think about the ziplocks the more icked out I am.
use freezer paper then put them in a ziplock, then your food won't be touching the plastic, but still be protected.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeyes View Post

I buy meat in bulk and just wrap it tightly in heavy duty foil and freeze it. I rarely have any problems with freezer burn.
Old 04-07-2009, 04:12 PM

I ADORE this thread!!
Old 04-07-2009, 09:35 PM

Feeding the freezer for baby #2's arrival. So far I have put away

Bean soup (4)
Chili
Lasagna (3)
Pasties (3 meals worth)
Chicken burritos (2)
Chicken soup without the noodles (2)

I cooked a turkey for dinner tonight, so tomorrow I will make the filling for a turkey potpie and "Scrumptious Turkey." (the recipe in this thread for Scrumptious Chicken looks so good that I have to try it, and I have ample turkey on hand right now). I also plan to do a couple of Shepherd's Pies and did the potatoes for those tonight as well. It has been a productive 4 days, and DH has enjoyed having hot dinners everynight.
I freeze casseroles in foil pans covered with one layer of foil. I put the whole thing with heating directions in a 2 gallon ziplock and suck out the air with a straw (old school food saver???). I figure this way I can reuse the big bag and the foil pans. I also found a great deal on the pans, so they were only 25 cents each.

Mom to Sam (3/2007), Bekah (4/2009)hbac.gif, Jedidiah (4/2012)hbac.gif, and expecting #4 in March!
Old 04-28-2009, 10:20 PM

I need to do this.

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

Old 05-02-2009, 03:49 PM

sub for ideas
Old 05-04-2009, 02:18 PM

ok, without reading through this whole thing........again (i already did a couple years ago, shows ya how long a mommy memory is), i need 2 recipes for a mother blessing. i would like one whole dinner to freeze and one side (bread, dessert, etc) to freeze. both of which she can just pull out of the freezer and into the oven. ok i guess there is thawing in between.

this thread needs a jump start anyway

tia, kelli
Old 05-04-2009, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellid View Post
ok, without reading through this whole thing........again (i already did a couple years ago, shows ya how long a mommy memory is), i need 2 recipes for a mother blessing. i would like one whole dinner to freeze and one side (bread, dessert, etc) to freeze. both of which she can just pull out of the freezer and into the oven. ok i guess there is thawing in between.

tia, kelli
I made Farmhouse Chicken that I got off a blog. We made one for dinner and froze one for after the baby got here. It was very yummy. I liked that it didn't use an canned condensed soup like many casserole recipes. I added half a zucchini and half a yellow squash so that it had more veggies. I really enjoyed having this postpartum. It was a comfort food kind of dish. A side of home baked bread would be good with it, but with the extra veggies you don't really need any other type of side.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:18 PM

I got eight meals in the freezer this week. Chicken was a great price. I made three different varieties. I still have a few meals worth to put away, but I think that will have to happen tomorrow.

I love that you can just put a sauce over the raw chicken, thaw, then bake it or slow cook it when you want it. So much easier than cooking twice!

I did Honey-Baked Chicken from the More-with-Less cookbook, and Amazing Chicken and Lemon-Herb Roasted Chicken from The Big Cook. It only took me a few minutes for each recipe

Since May arrived, I started to feel like could be getting things started for when our baby will arrive (mid-July). I should do these kind of freezer meals now, because we'll have lots of garden stuff to do closer to the time.

Carlyn - loving and caring for my family.
Married 13 years, mama to 12 (boy), 8, 6, 4, 1 (girls)
Old 05-05-2009, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellid View Post

tia, kelli
here's a great desert to freeze!

http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/re...ipe_id=1854001

Old 05-18-2009, 06:27 PM

Hello! I'm new here and to the whole idea of freezing meals but so far I've read the first 20 pages or so. I've made myself a list and planning on cooking a bunch this week, seeing that our little girl is coming in about 3 weeks.
I love this thread!!

I've read something on making breakfast sandwiches and lasagna rolls. If someone can please post recipes and then how to reheat that would be awesome!
Old 05-19-2009, 12:55 AM

I am not sure of the breakfast sandwiches but for the lasagna rollups I just boil the noodles, make my usual filling & put a spoonfull along the center and roll up the noodle.

I like to flash freeze them on a tray and then put them in a ziploc (so they don't stick together.

then I pull out however many I want and at least partially defrost before adding sauce and cooking

I'm Andrea - I have three boys - 12 year old twins & an 11 year old

Old 05-19-2009, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flminivanmama View Post
I am not sure of the breakfast sandwiches but for the lasagna rollups I just boil the noodles, make my usual filling & put a spoonfull along the center and roll up the noodle.

I like to flash freeze them on a tray and then put them in a ziploc (so they don't stick together.

then I pull out however many I want and at least partially defrost before adding sauce and cooking

That sounds good. I'm planning on getting 10lbs of ground beef in the morning so I can start on some recipes. It's getting kind of late but I wanted to have everything figured out before bed.

I wanted to throw shredded mozz. cheese on top of them. Do you guys know if shredded cheese freezes well? I don't want to buy it and have it linger in the fridge and possibly go to waste.
Old 05-19-2009, 03:28 AM

I freeze it all the time.

for intuitive readings click here :

Tags
Food Items , Nutrition Good Eating
User Tag List