#691 of 699 Old 01-05-2011, 12:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swd12422 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicky2 View Post
I'm waiting for a massive sweet potato sale so I can freeze tons of puree.  ...

What do you do with all that sweet potato puree, other than casserole and burritos? I'm fascinated!

Thicken soups, muffins, pie, pancakes, spaghetti sauce, lots of stuff!

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

#692 of 699 Old 01-05-2011, 12:05 PM

Sorry, my multi quote isn't working right now.

For pizza dough, I make the whole pizza.  I just bake the crust for 15 minutes or so, let cool and top w/toppings and freeze.  You could also just make the dough and freeze it before it rises.  Thaw, let rise, and then use as normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snt88 View Post

I'm looking for suggestions on freezing pizza dough or whole pizzas.  How do you do it - make the dough and freeze it in a ball?  Roll it out?  If you make the whole thing, how do you prepare it for the freezer?

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

#693 of 699 Old 02-03-2011, 12:54 PM

I shop every 2 weeks, when dh gets paid. Then, the following day I cook most of it (generally between 20-25 meals at a go).

I bake whole wheat bread, super healthy, with only yeast, whole wheat flour and water. I usually make * loaves' worth. I bake two right then, and freeze the other doughs for pizza and fresh bread later on.

I make a large batch of chocolate chip oatmeal peanut butter cookies (about 60 cookie batch), freeze half, bake the other half.

I cook lots of burger all at once, season it with a mixture of chili powder, brown sugar and salt (rather than store-bought taco or chili seasoning packets), and freeze it in half-pound bags. I use these for spaghetti sauce, chili, tacos, and in minestrone soup. It can also be mixed with brown rice for a very fast meal.

I presoak and precook pinto beans, northern beans, and white rice.

If we are having potato meals, I bake a bunch all at once in a turkey roaster, along with whatever cooked carrots, roast meat, and roast onions we will be needing.

I bake about 7 pounds of chicken breast at a go, then bag it for 4 meals with BBQ sauce in each baggie.

Our system revolves around the microwave. But it is currently broken! Ha ha ha ha....

:)

Homeschooling, organic gardening, jewelry-making, bread-baking pagan mama to Bubba:
#694 of 699 Old 02-03-2011, 03:05 PM

Hippie do the beans come out of the freezer ok ? I would love to precook beans at our house . Lately I've been useing can just because it's easy
#695 of 699 Old 02-03-2011, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graceie View Post

Hippie do the beans come out of the freezer ok ? I would love to precook beans at our house . Lately I've been useing can just because it's easy

I precook all kinds of beans and I've never had a problem with texture or anything. Speaking of, I need to cook a couple batches. We just moved so my freezer stocks are LOW!

E, wife to D, mommy to G (born March 2010). joy.gif

#696 of 699 Old 02-20-2011, 12:51 PM

Does anyone know if whole wheat pasta freezes well? (as in whole wheat lasagna noodles) Also, corn tortillas for enchiladas? I would think they would fall apart.

My BIGGEST problem is that my husband "doesn't like" soups, curries, lasagna or lots of pasta...ARGH! The other night I slaved over a really good chicken piccata recipe and he ate half his plate and pushed it away saying he was full. The next night I browned up some easy cheeseburgers and he was saying, "Wow! What a TREAT! Cheeseburgers! Awesome!" eyesroll.gif I need to find freezer meals that he will actually EAT. orngtongue.gif

Our single most successful freezer recipe is raw chocolate chip cookie dough, already scooped into little individual balls. I use the recipe on the baking soda box. It's the best one I have ever found, and I have tried a LOT. Before DD was born I made EIGHT batches and froze them all. Didn't make it easy to lose the baby weight, but yum!

Mama to Fenergy.gif(06/11/09) and baby boy C baby.gif (06/09/11) 

#697 of 699 Old 02-20-2011, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I've never frozen cooked pasta or tortillas (although I keep both in the freezer pre-cooking). For pasta dishes like lasagna, I'd think you could probably put together the lasagna without cooking the noodles first, freeze it, and then bake it, although it could be mushy. (Never done it, mostly b/c I'm too lazy to put together a lasagna!)

#698 of 699 Old 05-02-2011, 12:08 PM

bump for new members

#699 of 699 Old 09-14-2011, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter

bump, I am currently feeding my freezer since there is room because our stockpile of meat is dimishing as the year goes on...

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."

Tags
Food Items , Nutrition Good Eating

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page