Feed the freezer recipes - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-10-2006, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
canned food can be in the pantry all the way baby!

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2006, 09:54 PM

Oh sweet. I am totally canning everything now.
Old 10-11-2006, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amys1st View Post
Ok- having a brain fart. Which of the list is ready to cook and which is ready to serve after reheated??
My list? I guess I'll assume you're talking to me and will answer, LOL.

"Ready to cook"
Lasagna
Ravioli lasagna
Enchilada casserole
Turkey and stuffing casserole
Hot ham (or turkey) and cheese sandwiches
Quiche (usually with meat and cheese)
Breakfast burritos
Twice-baked potatoes
Apple and peach pies (sometimes with crust, sometimes just the filling)

"Ready to serve after reheating or thawing"
Meatloaf
Meatballs
Chicken alfredo
Chicken lo mein
Chili
Banana bread and mini-muffins
Graham cracker crust pies (peanut butter pie, chocolate pie, lemonade pie, etc.)

OT: Amy, how close are you to Shorewood/Joliet? I come up to visit my mom several times a year.
Old 10-11-2006, 03:26 PM

I'm inspired now. I'm off to the library to pick up a freezer cookbook.
Old 10-11-2006, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennisee View Post
My list? I guess I'll assume you're talking to me and will answer, LOL.

"Ready to cook"
Lasagna
Ravioli lasagna
Enchilada casserole
Turkey and stuffing casserole
Hot ham (or turkey) and cheese sandwiches
Quiche (usually with meat and cheese)
Breakfast burritos
Twice-baked potatoes
Apple and peach pies (sometimes with crust, sometimes just the filling)

"Ready to serve after reheating or thawing"
Meatloaf
Meatballs
Chicken alfredo
Chicken lo mein
Chili
Banana bread and mini-muffins
Graham cracker crust pies (peanut butter pie, chocolate pie, lemonade pie, etc.)

OT: Amy, how close are you to Shorewood/Joliet? I come up to visit my mom several times a year.
I would love some of these recipts. I made alfredo last night but I didn't think it would do well in the freezer. Could I have the following: chicken alfredo, chili, and Enchilada casserole please?
Old 10-11-2006, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleine Hexe
I would love some of these recipts. I made alfredo last night but I didn't think it would do well in the freezer. Could I have the following: chicken alfredo, chili, and Enchilada casserole please?
Sure, but some of my recipes are quite un-NFL. I'm working to alter then, but I'm not there yet, so I'll post the originals.

Chicken alfredo
10 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast
3 boxes Barilla mostacolli
4 jars Classico alfredo sauce

--Cook chicken on grill. Cool and cut into pieces.
--Cook pasta half the time listed on box.
--Combine all ingredients. Stir until chicken and pasta is coated.
--Divide between 6 gallon freezer bags. Freeze.
--Thaw, spoon into bowls, reheat in microwave.
--During the garden season, I like to sprinkle on some chopped parsley and chives.

I really don't have a recipe for the chili. I usually start with a couple cans of Bush's Chili Starter, add a couple cans of kidney beans in chili sauce, maybe a can of black beans, chopped or canned tomatoes, a chopped onion, sometimes a couple envelopes of chili seasoning. It just depends on what I have in the cupboard. Then, I let it simmer for maybe an hour.

Same with the enchilada casserole.
--I make taco meat filling using browned hamburger, taco seasoning (or a 50/50 mix of chili powder and cumin), and then whatever else I have on hand--taco sauce, salsa, chopped or canned tomatoes, chopped onion, garlic, canned or fresh chili peppers. I cook until it thickens some.
--I spread either some liquid/sauce from the meat filling or taco sauce on the bottom of a 13 x 9 x 2 Gladware pan, to prevent the enchiladas from sticking.
--Then I put the meat filling, some cooked rice, and cheese in tortillas, and roll them up, and line them up in the pan. (I think I'll add beans next time as well.)
--There is usually some leftover meat filling, so I spread that in a line down the middle of the enchiladas. Then, I spread cheese in a line over the top of that. I might spread some parsley and chives or green onions on top.
--Put lid on and freeze.
--Thaw at least partway in fridge.
--Remove lid, cover loosely with foil, place pan on baking sheet (if using Gladware), and bake at 350 for about an hour or until heated through. Remove foil and bake another 15 minutes.
Old 10-11-2006, 05:10 PM

Amy~for the canning, is 35 mins a good time for everything? We picked 52 pounds of apples on Monday. :

Gosh I remember my mom canned soo much: peaches, beets, sauces,jellies,pears,pickles........

Here's a recipe for apple pie filling, freeze in gallon size ziplock bags:

1/2 C sugar
1/4 C brown sugar
1/4 C Flour
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg

Mix all dry ingredients together. Just zip and shake the bag. Then add:
6 C apples~peeled, cored,sliced
Shake around to coat the apples.
FREEZE.

Thaw and dump into pie crust. (homemade or unfold kind )

oh darn, I forgot the baking info. My friend wrote it down for me....I'll call and post later. If you're me, just follow directions on the box.
Old 10-11-2006, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamadege5 View Post
Amy~for the canning, is 35 mins a good time for everything? We picked 52 pounds of apples on Monday. :
There's actually a wide range of processing times. Jelly takes only 10 minutes; some canned fruit takes 45. It's best to consult the owner's manual for your canner or get a good canning book. I'm naking now, but I *think* apples are 35 minutes for pints and 45 minutes for quarts.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:22 PM

Okay, another canning question.

Can I make soup and can it this way to keep it in the cupboard? I will be waaaay excited if I can keep soup like this instead of in the freezer!
Old 10-11-2006, 11:09 PM

Yes. However, some soups can be processed in a boiling water bath, but others must be pressure canned. It depends on the ingredients. Pressure canning scares me, LOL, but I am determined to learn how.
Old 10-12-2006, 04:39 PM

subbing! I can't wait to be organized enough to do this!
Old 10-12-2006, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

Today its around 30 degrees or so and we got some snow that lasted all of 2 mninutes. Even so, first chilly day I make a huge vat of chili.

We might have the in laws over and also freeze a huge portion.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
Old 10-12-2006, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amys1st View Post
now that the weather is getting cooler, making bread dough up and freezing sounds like a great idea. Do you let it rise first before freezing??

With white breat there are only two risings. You want to let it rise the first time (about an hour or until double) and punch it back. Then shape into loaves. One loaf I usually let rise again (for another hour or until double) to bake and the other I shape and wrap tightly in cling wrap and freeze immediately. When you bring it out of the freezer unwrap it and allow it to rise again (for the hour or so) and bake

With French bread, my recipe calls for a TON of rising time. Once for 1 1/2 hour, punch back, rise another 30 min, shape into three circles, rise another 15 minutes. Then shape and either allow to rise for another hour or wrap and freeze. This is the single best recipe for French bread that I have ever used. YUM YUM YUM and it's true french bread! Nothing but flour, water, yeast, and salt... again when you thaw this out, allow to rise for another hour or so and then back.

Now I am off to can!!!

Oh and I am loving the chili/first snow deal....they are calling for snow tonight so I think I may make some chili tomorrow!!
Old 10-12-2006, 05:59 PM

With the canning. Do you need a canner or can you just use like a large enamel (one of those dark blue ones with the little white flecks - ykwim?) pot?

What does a canner cost?
Old 10-12-2006, 06:36 PM

Can someone post their meat ball recipe please?

I'm really enjoying this thread!

Rachel, wife to Brian, mother of 5. Lover of birth.
Blog on profile.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:44 PM

I froze 4 baggies of that apple pie filling today, tomorrow I'll make applesauce.

Justice~can you share that FRENCH bread recipe? Pretty please.....

it is COLD here, 37 but I haven't seen snow fluffies yet. Tomorrow it's supposed to, when one kid is going on a haunted hayride and another is going to a moonlit corn maze. bbbrrrrrbbbbbrrrrrbbbbrrr

Might need some CHILI when they get home! mmmmmmmm
Old 10-12-2006, 11:48 PM

meat ball recipes...

1 lbs hamburger
3/4 c bread crumbs
1 egg
1 teaspoon of worshires sause
salt and peper to taste

OR
1lbs hamberger
3 peices or so of corn bread crumbels
2 c. shredded cheese
1 can tomato paste

OR
take any meatloaf recipes and turn it into meat balls, i have to do this b/c dh, ds, and dd REFUSE to eat meatloaf they don't like it, all i have to do it roll them into meat balls and there's NONE left ! LOL
Old 10-13-2006, 12:47 AM - Thread Starter

I used to follow a meatball recipe but I also add pork and sometimes veal in the mix. Usually I get the meatloaf mix the butcher makes and add egg, breadcrumb, spices, onions and some other odds and ends. Shape into meatballs, freeze on a cookie sheet, and then pack up.

Since it was the frost, dh picked/rescued all the basil and is now making pesto sauce into individual portions to freeze.

I saved some twirly pasta I used with the chili so he is pouring some pesto on the pasta for lunch tomorrow.

So for the weekend, I need to feed my freezer. I already have the chili.

I am going to add:
italian meatballs un cooked
swedish meatballs un cooked
chocolate chip cookies unbaked
french bread (if you share the recipe!!)
chicken and dumplings but will make dumplings when serving(maybe next week)

Old 10-13-2006, 02:40 AM

Amy, you freeze the meatballs uncooked. How do you cook them later?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justice2 View Post
With the canning. Do you need a canner or can you just use like a large enamel (one of those dark blue ones with the little white flecks - ykwim?) pot?

What does a canner cost?
I think you can use those, but I've never done it. You can't put jars directly on the bottom of the pot, so you would have to have a rack for the bottom. The price will depend on the size of the canner. Mine is a large pressure canner (the largest the store sold), and I want to say it was $80, but I used a gift certificate I got for Christmas.
Old 10-13-2006, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

I store the meatballs uncooked and then I can pop a few out when I need them or if having company, make the lot. I fry them in a bit of olive oil on a low heat- actaully I really just brown them. Then I add some tomato sauce and cover. Then they are steamed to done within 30-45 minutes. Very juicy and yummy when done and very fresh tasting. The prep this way is so minamal and the result is so awesome.

Canning-
I bought my canner w a rack inside at a local hardware store for about $30 several years ago. I have seen them at rummage sales for a dollar though. I'm pretty sure frontier coop has them too because they have all the tools for canning. I would also put out a request on freecycle. I use the same mason jars over and over and just purchase the seals new every year. they run about a dollar for a dozen.

My whole intial investment was about $50 but I use it all year after year so it was worth it. But again, you should be able to find this stuff dirt cheap or free somewhere. When we first started canning, we borrowed a canning pot from a friend to get an idea how to do it.

Old 10-13-2006, 02:15 PM

Great! I'll have to try the meatballs now, I have put off trying them because my meatloaf tends to just fall apart.
And I'm anticipating the french bread recipe

I make alot of breads, but they never seemed to do well frozen before baked, so I bake mine first.
Favorites are:
Whole Wheat Bread
Raisin Rye

I have a roll recipe that I use for Pizza, rolls, cinnamon rolls, pizza pockets, etc. but it takes only an hour from mixing it to getting it in the oven, so I never tried to save time in freezing it.
I might use it more if I did though- if you freeze rolls prior to rising, how long do you let it sit out before you can bake it?

Rachel, wife to Brian, mother of 5. Lover of birth.
Blog on profile.
Old 10-13-2006, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude Rose View Post
Here's an incredible soup/thick sauce that freezes beautifully. I got the recipe here at MDC somewhere:

It was so tasty-reminded DH and me of being at the Indian restaurant. I had added the red curry for the heat and Madras curry powder for a great mid-tone. When I unfreeze my next batch, I will probably throw in some cooked cubed lamb and a can of peas and serve over rice. Totally like a restaurant-yum!

Thai squash soup~feeds our family(5) 1 supper with lunch for 1 leftover

1 good sized butternut squash~prick with a fork a few time and roast it in the oven on a cookie sheet. takes 45 min-1 hour depending on squash

In a big soup pot:
1 onion, diced 4 cloves garlic, minced
1 thumb sized piece of ginger, grated
~add the above to pot with 2 TBS butter~
4 medium potates, cubed ~add to onions~ cook until onions are clarified
4-6 cup veggie broth
cover and cook until potatoes are done

With a hand blender/food processor/blender puree potatoe mixture
Seed/peel squash and puree~ add to potatoes mixture

Add 1 can cocnut milk, salt and pepper to taste and curry paste to taste. (some like it spicey others not so much) If you don't have curry paste you can always do your favorite curry blend.

reduce temp to low and let simmer 15 min or so to let the flavors mingle.

Enjoy with naan or crusty bread....sourdough is good too!
Freeze in freezer bags/lay them flat for easier storage
Last weekend we got this giant squash that was butternut-like at the farmers' market. I used it to make this recipe last night, only instead of poyatoes (we don't eat them) I added chicken. This recipe is delicious!!! I will definitely be using it again. Could also add cauliflower in place of potatoes. Or sweet potatoes! Or beets! So yummy - we each had two bowls!
Old 10-13-2006, 09:38 PM

Thanks for all these great ideas mamas! I need to do some major cooking this weekend.
Old 10-14-2006, 03:14 AM

Amy, I must not have my thinking cap on today, LOL. Do you thaw the meatballs before you fry them, or do you cook them while still frozen?
Old 10-14-2006, 04:14 AM

I have a freezing question. I meal plan for the month and freeze everything. I am bout to make some portioned pears for my dd's meals(I make all her baby food in advance as well). If I dice up some pears(she is doing finger foods, refuses to let me feed her..LOL), and flash them(boil hot then rinse cold), and divide them into portions, will they be soft enough for her to eat when I defrost them? This seems to be the only food I have run into trouble so far with cooking and portioning ahead of time.
I posted in here cause I didnt know where else to ask..
Thanks in advance for the help.

Mom to Bouncy Breastfed fly-by-nursing1.gifDD energy.gifLoving Woman to DH, RIP DS Born at 22 weeks  ribbonpb.gif

Old 10-14-2006, 09:24 PM

Here's a funny....all those apples we picked, I made a huge pot of applesauce, HUGE. We ate some for dinner (only 4 of us home), DD and BF ate some when they got home......I only had enough for 3 quart size bags.

:

I did freeze those 4 bags of pie filling-less work there, and we do have another grocery store size bag full of apples to go.
Old 10-15-2006, 10:28 AM

subbing

this is so my thread, lol.... i love to feed my freezer, its kinda hungry right now, though

when we get back to the states, i am going to learn to can... im so excited,

*~*Ashley*~* newly single mama to Tristan 10/01/2007
Old 10-17-2006, 10:49 PM

Subbing...

I have two giant freezers : One usually full of meats (we buy in bulk from other farmers) and the other is for Everything Else. If I have a few more kids I'll be adding a third freezer because I loooove it.

I always bake for the freezer, cookies etc, and I'm getting into making my own bread, so there's that. I haven't been huge on meals. I do LOVE putting leftover cooked meats in there, like roast beef, meatballs and chicken, because that saves tons of time. I do freeze shepherd's pie and lasagnas fairly often.

Freezing mashed potatoes is just fantastico. I have a giant mixer that helps with that but it's easy to do with just a hand mixer too (instead of hand mashing it all). After my sister's wedding I mashed 40lbs of potatoes in 2 days and froze them. Egads, that was WORK but it was worth it.

Need to get some apples now!
Old 10-19-2006, 04:01 PM

ok so what i would love is to see some menus for the month/week/two weeks that you have the in freezer now... i need some insperation to get cooking! LOL
Old 10-19-2006, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moms3kids View Post
ok so what i would love is to see some menus for the month/week/two weeks that you have the in freezer now... i need some insperation to get cooking! LOL
No problem. Also, you can come up with a formula for doing it so you can plan your whole month.

For your formula:
start with a list of 4 meals that your whole family loves.
Looking at these, what can be made ahead or double/triple batched?
If one meal has a huge prep time, make it 3 or more and freeze for later. Do this on a day you have the time and everyone can enjoy it together. Then put the others away for later.
Plan the other meals to cook for dinner later that week or into next week.
So now you have 3 meals from the first cooking, and 2 or more from the other cooking sessions. Thats 5-7 meals for a week. Not that you will eat all 5 in one week, but that option is open.

I usually plan to eat one of the meals every week. Its usually reserved for that day that was a long long day of nursing, bad moods whatever and the last thing I need is cooking. Or, I am going somewhere that evening and still have to feed the family. DH can handle taking it out and baking, defrosting whatever.
I also plan 1-2 meals weekly that can contribute to the freezer. So at any given time, we have 5 meals in there ready to go. If there are too many, we might eat more that week and not feed the freezer. If they are getting low because we had to resort to them more, I will plan an extra feeding that week.

HTH!

Tags
Food Items , Nutrition Good Eating
User Tag List