Feed the freezer recipes - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 699 Old 10-20-2006, 02:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Going back to the meatball topic: I use very low fat meat and I bake a big batch of meatballs all at once on cookie sheets (they can be spaced pretty close together). Then I freeze them on the cookie sheets (they can be placed even closer together). And once they're frozen I pop them into freezer bags (they won't stick to each other as much if they're frozen first). Then all I have to do is take out what I need and use them. Usually I heat them up in spaghetti sauce but that way they're already cooked.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 of 699 Old 10-21-2006, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamadege5 View Post
I froze 4 baggies of that apple pie filling today, tomorrow I'll make applesauce.

Justice~can you share that FRENCH bread recipe? Pretty please.....

it is COLD here, 37 but I haven't seen snow fluffies yet. Tomorrow it's supposed to, when one kid is going on a haunted hayride and another is going to a moonlit corn maze. bbbrrrrrbbbbbrrrrrbbbbrrr

Might need some CHILI when they get home! mmmmmmmm
Ok, here it goes - Oh, this recipe makes a ton of bread! 2 10 oz baguettes and one 1 1/4 lb round loaf

Pain Ordinaire
Classic yeasted french bread

2 Packages (2 scant tbsp, or 1/2 oz) active dry yeast
2 1/2 C water
6 C organic (sometimes I use organic and sometimes I just use unbleached) white (or all purpose) flour
1 tbsp salt
Glaze: 1 egg white whisked into 1/2 c cold wate

Put the yeast in a cup of warm (115 F) water for about 10 min until kinda creamy.
Start adding the flour, handful by handful, stirring after each addition, at first gently and then vigorously, with a wooden spoon. Add flour by the handful, stirring at first gently, then vigorously after each addition. After all buy 1 cup of the flour has been added (this will take about 10 minutes), turn the dough out onto a worktable, sprinkle the salt over the dough, and knead it for about 5 or 6 minutes while adding the rest of the flour. Because the dough ahs been whipped up vigorously in the batter stage, it will not have to be kneaded as much in the dough stage. The dough should be moist and satiny.
Place the dough in a bowl large enough to accommodate its doubling in volume. The bowl can be greased or ungreased as you prefer. Cover the bowl with a moistened dish towel and let the dough rise in a warm spot (free from drafts), for 1 2/2 - 2 hours, or until doubled. Punch it back and rise again for another 30-45 min.
Divide dough into two pieces, then divide one of the halves in two again. Round dough into three tight balls and let rest on table, covered, for 15 min.
Shape the two small balls into baguettes by flattening each piece into a rectangular shape that measures apx. 6 x 3. With the 6 inch side toward you , fold over a third of the dough down from the top and the seal the edge with the heal of your hand. Do this 2 or 3 times until the piece is in the shape of a log about 8 in long. Stretch each log out by rolling it on th etable under the palms of your hands until it is between 12 and 14 inches long. Place each in an oiled, black baguette tray or on a cookie sheet that has been greased or lined with parchment paper.
Shap the larger piece of dough into a tight, round loaf by first flattening it, then folding the outer edges over into the middle. Repeat the process of folding the dough 4 or 5 times and sealing each fold by pressing down on the dough wit the heel of the hand. With the folds underneath, drag the round ball of dough across the worktable with some pressure on top to make a tight loaf without any air bubbles. Place it on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper (I also use a greased cookie sheet for this one too). Let the loaves rise, covered, for 45 minutes or an hour (or wrap to freeze at this stage).
With a razor blade, slash each baguetter 4 or 5 times diagonally on top and glaze them. With the round loaf, slash with razor blade in a tick-tack-toe pattern. This loaf is not glazed because the matte, floured crust looks more rustic (but can be glazed if you wish).

Bake the baguettes for 20-25 min or until golden brown in color and sound hollow if thumped on the bottom. The round loaf - here's the problem, the book says to bake it for 40-45 min, but I have NEVER done this. My round loaves are ALWAYS ready at the same time as my baguettes. So use this cooking time with caution!

There you have it, best french bread ever!!!!
#93 of 699 Old 10-23-2006, 01:00 AM

Subbing... a lovely mama linked me here from a homebirth question about prepping food for after the baby!!! So, I've been pulling lots of great ideas from ya'll and have one question - Twice baked potato's - what do you do when you pull them out of the freezer? Thaw first or just bake and for how long? Thanks so much!
#94 of 699 Old 10-23-2006, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggma View Post
Subbing... a lovely mama linked me here from a homebirth question about prepping food for after the baby!!! So, I've been pulling lots of great ideas from ya'll and have one question - Twice baked potato's - what do you do when you pull them out of the freezer? Thaw first or just bake and for how long? Thanks so much!
I pull one out of the freezer and pop it in the microwave. Gosh, I can't remember how long I cooked it, though.... I want to say 9 minutes on 50% power, but it's probably been 6 months since I had any in the freezer. It depends on the size of the potato and how powerful your microwave is.
#95 of 699 Old 10-23-2006, 01:20 PM

I've decided to go to Amy1st's to live. Do you think she'd notice me hiding by her freezer?

Anyone with a good spaghetti sauce recipe? Mine was ACK! We cooked some boneless spare ribs in it, so it had a nice meat-y flavor but I hated it. (dh said it was good....) And all my kids complained there were no meatballs.
#96 of 699 Old 10-23-2006, 01:58 PM

This is my first time posting here. I am expecting my first in about a month and truely have NO cooking experience. I was planning to learn while pregnant but I have actually been so sick that I have only been able to make a few things and they have been pretty blah! Anywho, I would like to make some freezer meals but totally don't understand how it all works(storage:in what and for how long, reheating in what and for how long, do you cook things first then freeze?) Basically I need step by step instructions for some easy meals. Understandably that may be a bit much for you busy mama's to post for me but are there any good books/websites you know of? I do eat meat occasionally and my DH and I like everything. Thanks
#97 of 699 Old 10-24-2006, 12:51 PM

i made 2 bags of that apple pie filling today, and im making beef stroganoff and taco meat here in a little bit as well... this weekend im going to cook down some pumpkins to keep in the freezer for muffins and stuff too

*~*Ashley*~* newly single mama to Tristan 10/01/2007
#98 of 699 Old 10-24-2006, 01:03 PM

I made a really good lentil soup yesterday that another author whose recipe I looked at said is freezer friendly (up to 6 months). (Her recipe doesn't use carrots and celery... but I don't see how that would affect the freezing.) It never lasts that long in our house, but I'm going to try and make a double batch and freeze the rest.

It uses red/orange lentils. I find them in middle eastern stores and health food stores (bulk bins). They turn yellow when cooked. You can also find the spices in bulk at middle eastern stores, which is great if you don't cook with cumin or coriander... just buy enough for this.

It's very forgiving. I've made it without the coriander... without the celery... and it's been fine. I like it better with both, though.

Here's the recipe:

1 large onion, chopped
3 T olive oil
3-4 cloves garlic, crushed
1 - 1-1/2 tsp cumin
1 - 1-1/2 tsp ground coriander
1 3/4 red lentils
1 stick of celery w/ leaves
1 carrot finely chopped
2 Quarts Chicken Stock or Veggie Stock (I use the Swanson giant cardboard container... but I've made this with bouillion cubes before, homemade as well)
Salt & Pepper

Sautee the onion in the olive oil in large saucepan until soft, but not browned.

Add garlic, cumin, and coriander. Stir and sautee for a minute or two.

Add the lentils, celery, and carrot... sautee for a minute, then add the stock.

Bring to a boil, cover, and then reduce heat to simmer. Simmer for 30-45 minutes until the lentils have disintegrated. Add salt and pepper to taste. At this point, I like to puree it with an immersion blender... but you don't have to. You may need to add some more stock/water at this point (or when reheating) if it's too thick.

Freeze at this point.

When serving, I usually offer pita chips and lemon slices. (I don't like lemon in the soup, but my husband does.) To make pita chips, split open pita breads and put them in the oven, directly on the rack, until they are crunchy and lightly browned. (400 degree oven... or if you have the oven on, put them in at whatever temp. ) Then break them up with your fingers into little bits.

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#99 of 699 Old 10-24-2006, 01:15 PM

Oh, I usually serve the soup with Fattoush (Syrian bread salad). When you make the pita chips, toast 4 more halfs for the salad.

Here's my recipe, it's not traditional, but good.

Dressing is from Claudia Roden...so it's traditional... I just don't add all of the variety of greens (usually because I can't find them.):

5 T olive oil
1 to 1-1/2 lemons (juiced)
2-3 cloves garlic, finely diced
salt & pepper

Whisk together in a small bowl. I usually start with juice from one lemon, and add more if needed.
Salad Bit:
1/4 onion, 1-2 shallots, or a few scallions
2-3 tomatoes
1 cucumber
1 carrot or handful of baby carrots
handful of parsley (flat leaf, if available)
Hearts of Romaine Lettuce
Pita Chips (see above)
Salt
Pepper
Vinegar

Slice the onions very finely and put in a big bowl. Sprinkle with salt (1 tsp or so) and pepper. Then add one capful of vinegar.

Dice the tomatoes finely and add.

Dice the cucumber finely as well. (You can peel and de-seed if you like. I'm usually too lazy.)

Finely chop carrots and add.

Finely chop parsley and add.

Finely chop romaine lettuce as well. (Think of chopped salads you've had.) You don't want to use too much... want relatively even amounts of lettuce, tomato, and cucumber.

Mix with your hands. Add pita chips and mix again with hands.

Pour on the dressing...mix again.

Enjoy!

NB: More traditional fattoush includes mint (which I don't always have on hand), pulsane, etc. Also, one adds sumac to the dressing.

#100 of 699 Old 10-24-2006, 02:25 PM

wow, I was typing and whoosh my computer shut down....

umsami~ that sounds so good. I am loving these "different" types of cuisine for my family to try. One dd is a little picky, but she will try new foods. (no mushrooms or celery visible and what she doesn't know won't hurt her)
(and I clicked your link for the stuffed animal donations )

Last night I thickened the chicken-rice soup from the weekend, it was already a little thick-too much rice- with some cream soup, poured in a casserole pan and topped with bisquits. It was pretty good. DH didn't even know it was from the soup!! bebe dd wouldn't even try it, but then I remembered she had eaten around 3:30 and wasn't hungry.....until 11pm. "I hunn-ree mama"
#101 of 699 Old 10-25-2006, 12:48 PM

I'm getting lots of great ideas!!!

I mostly just can spagetti sauce. I wonder if we can do the same for chili?

Sand, Mom to three girls and a new SON!!!!  babyboy.gif Born on March 7th, 2011  I get to do these again:   bfinfant.gifslingboy.gifcd.gif
#102 of 699 Old 10-25-2006, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moms3kids View Post
ok so what i would love is to see some menus for the month/week/two weeks that you have the in freezer now... i need some insperation to get cooking! LOL
here's a blog forma woman on my nutrition list:

http://freezeitwhole.blogspot.com/

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

#103 of 699 Old 10-25-2006, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amys1st View Post
Good question. I do something my very different that SIL suggested. For once I actually agreed with her (Love her to death but we soo do not agree on so many things! another thread!)

When making a dish that you freezer for later to cook: Line the pan you are using with AL foil. Make the dish, freeze. The next day lift it out in the shape and pack it to freeze. When ready to cook, get the pan, spray it w cooking spray, unwrap the dish and discard foil. Place in pan, bake!
You get your pan back.

Sometimes I freeze in a al foil line circle/pie shape pyrex so its the shape of my pots. Then I stick it in the pot and reheat.

For things like pulled pork, meatballs etc I use ziplocks.
This is so genius I almost couldn't breathe when I read it!
This whole thread has been great for me (new to freezing, but totally interested in saving myself time and effort) but that piece of advice wins hands down!

Diana, homebirthing, homeschooling, homemaking wife and mother of two (plus one more coming this Spring)!
Wrap Your Baby Comfy, versatile baby carriers and lots of wrap instruction.
Preparing to move our family of five into a motorhome and live on the road fulltime at Free Range Dreams.
#104 of 699 Old 10-25-2006, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelagain View Post
Can someone post their meat ball recipe please?

I'm really enjoying this thread!
italian meatballs:

1 pound ground meat; whatever you use as long as it's lean (i use buffalo, but you use what you like)
1/3 cup dry plain bread crumbs
1/3 cups freshly grated parmesan cheese
1 large egg, beaten
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried italian spice mix
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper

mix in a large bowl with a light hand, overmixing will make the meat tough.

roll into small balls, place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and bake at 350* for 15 minutes, turning once. cut one open to make sure it's done inside.

cool, freeze on a big plate or cookie sheet and then place in a plastic bag or freezer container.

to eat, defrost and cook in a big pot of good tomato sauce until hot through, and serve over pasta.

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

#105 of 699 Old 10-25-2006, 09:35 PM

ideads i haven't seen yet:

fresh roasted tomato puree for making into soup or sauce
stuffed bread or calzones
multi grain waffles
quick breads already sliced

and my favorite:

moussaka!... i usually replace the potatoes with rice for freezing.

#106 of 699 Old 10-25-2006, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandrine View Post
I'm getting lots of great ideas!!!

I mostly just can spagetti sauce. I wonder if we can do the same for chili?
you may need to use a pressure canner for something with beans or meat in it.

check your local cooperative extension or the blue ball website.

#107 of 699 Old 10-26-2006, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybeedreams View Post
you may need to use a pressure canner for something with beans or meat in it.
My spag sauce has meat and it does fine.

Quote:
check your local cooperative extension or the blue ball website.
My what?? never heard of these.

Sand, Mom to three girls and a new SON!!!!  babyboy.gif Born on March 7th, 2011  I get to do these again:   bfinfant.gifslingboy.gifcd.gif
#108 of 699 Old 10-26-2006, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandrine View Post
My spag sauce has meat and it does fine.
My what?? never heard of these.
since you are in canada you my not have cooperative extensions around you. here in the US mostly every county has them, esp. rural counties. you can contact them for info on everything from canning safety, what to feed a pregnant goat or 4-H clubs for kids. "the blue book" is kinda of the bible of canning. it is published by ball canning jars. they now have a website you can check out there info on.

here's their site: http://www.homecanning.com/USA/ALPro...CAT=479&P=1472

i checked and it recommended that anything with meat or beans be pressure canned. the reason for this is that the temp inside a jar that has been water bath processed doesn't get hot enough to kill all the germs that might be in meat or beans (and other things too). that's why you have to make sure that waht is water bath processes is sufficently acidic. it makes an unfriendly enviroment for bacteria to grow. meat and beans are not.

so they must be pressure canned to reach a high temp to kill any bacteria that might be in there. here's an example.

the trick to not getting sick from your own canning is to make sure you are doing it right.

CHILI CON CARNE

2 quarts crushed or whole tomatoes
3 cups dried pinto or red kidney beans
5-1/2 cups water
3 lb. ground beef
1-1/2 cups chopped onions
5 tsp. salt (separated)
3 to 6 tbsp. chili powder
1 tsp. black pepper
1 cup chopped peppers of your choice (optional)
Yield: 9 pints
Procedure: Wash beans thoroughly and place them in a 2 qt. saucepan. Add cold water to a level of 2 to 3 inches about the beans and soak 12 to 18 hours. Drain and discard water. Combine beans with 5-1/2 cups of fresh water and 2 teaspoons salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes. Drain and discard water. Brown ground beef, chopped onions, and peppers, if desired, in a skillet. Drain off fat and add 3 teaspoons salt, pepper, chili powder, tomatoes, and drained cooked beans. Simmer 5 minutes. Caution: Do not thicken. Fill jars, leaving 1-inch headspace. Adjust lids and process.
Recommended Process
1) Dial-gauge Pressure Canner
Pints—75 minutes 11 PSI

2) Weighted-gauge Pressure Canner
Pints—75 minutes 15 PSI

#109 of 699 Old 10-26-2006, 11:49 AM

Thanks for the info.

#110 of 699 Old 10-27-2006, 11:15 AM

i found this link on about.com... lots o' links about cooking and freezing!!

http://busycooks.about.com/od/freezingfood/

#111 of 699 Old 10-29-2006, 03:47 PM

http://www.cookinglight.com/cooking/...547544,00.html

#112 of 699 Old 10-29-2006, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

please share the mousaka recipe!!

I am adding Italian beef (a chicago staple) to the freezer this week.

Anyone have a recipe for it??

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#113 of 699 Old 10-29-2006, 07:55 PM

I've never frozen moussaka because I've been worried about the bechamel and the texture of the eggplants. I do freeze the tomato-ground beef-spice mixture because I can use it to make moussake or this Egyptian dish called penne bechamel. (Basically pasta instead of eggplant).

#114 of 699 Old 10-29-2006, 11:53 PM

I just made apple rolls for the freezer. You could experiement with the ingredients. The basic ingredients are: 1 cup grated apples, 1/2 cup oil (I think I'll use less next time), 3/4 cup pure maple syrup. Boil those three ingredients until desired consistancy and remove from heat. Add 3 cups quick oats and combine. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto wax paper and let cool. Roll into balls and put in fridge or freezer. No baking. Ready to eat as is.

I rolled some balls in wheat germ and sprinkled some with cinnamon. If I had crushed nuts I'd use that too. I think nutmeg would be good and maybe some type of nut butter.

Super easy and endless possiblities.
#115 of 699 Old 11-03-2006, 10:57 AM

does sausage gravy (the white gravy to eat with biscuits ) freeze well?

#116 of 699 Old 11-04-2006, 01:20 AM

my guess woudl be gravey would come out lumpy??? but not sure if it was reheated well and stired up well, ect milk added it might work... good question!
#117 of 699 Old 11-04-2006, 01:32 AM - Thread Starter

I have some frozen gravy now in there..

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#118 of 699 Old 11-06-2006, 05:52 PM

well i just added 14 cups of pumpkin puree to the freezer, and i have another one to cook down tomorrow

maybe i'll make some kind of soup or stir fry too

#119 of 699 Old 11-09-2006, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amys1st View Post
I feed the freezer w/:
crab cakes
When do you freeze them? After you form them but before frying? Do they taste as good when they're fried again? And do you thaw before frying?

I love crab cakes but never make them because we have to buy a full pound of fresh crab, and then we have crab cakes coming out our ears! But if I could freeze them...

Rebecca, mama to M (08/06) and E (04/09)
#120 of 699 Old 11-10-2006, 03:06 AM

Subbing. Loving this thread.

Tags
Food Items , Nutrition Good Eating

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page