Feed the freezer recipes - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 699 Old 11-11-2006, 12:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ashleyhaugh~ how'd you prepare the pumpkin? Cusinart it? Blender? or does it need to be cooked down?

I saw on someones blog...and now I'll never find it again, ...cut in half, bake on cookie sheet, (cut side down,) seed and peel, and freeze in 2C amounts.

I'm going to see if the farm market down the street will give me a "deal" on remaining pie pumpkins, cant hurt to ask right? And then I'll post the FANTABULOUS pumpkin bread recipe from Top Secret Recipes..mmmmmmmmm
#122 of 699 Old 11-12-2006, 09:10 AM

i cut in half, scooped the seeds out, baked it til it was soft, peeled it, threw it in the blender, then vacuum sealed it in 2 cup bags

*~*Ashley*~* newly single mama to Tristan 10/01/2007
#123 of 699 Old 11-15-2006, 06:44 PM

Re: Pressure Canner

We don't have many stores locally that would carry these, but Walmart does. They have a 23-QT Pressure Canner for $68. Is that a reasonable size for just a family of 2.5? Can I can (LOL) everything in that? I'd like to be able to do spaghetti sauces, chilis, soups, fruits, maybe some veggies too.

Thanks for the help!
#124 of 699 Old 11-15-2006, 11:19 PM

Hi we don`t have a separate freezer either, just the top of the fridge. BUT we moved and there is space in the pantry for a small one. We live in Japan where lots of things are small.LOL.

I freeze things like lasagne and other casseroles in loaf pans, it is a better size for just the 2 of us. DD is not a big eater yet. I am due with #2 in Feb. so the goal is to have a freezer before then, and get it stocked. LOL. Last time my DH took a month paternity leave but can`t take that much time off this year. My mom and step-dad are coming to help, but it means I will just have to feed more people. LOL. it is great that they are coming to meet the new baby and play with DD.

I grind my own meat in the food processor. It comes out very fine, but works great for things like meatballs and stuff. Not so great for crumbly meat, but OK. If you can get lamb it is an option to grind your own.

OK off to unpack a few more boxes. Thanksgiving is next week and I have 4 families coming over for dinner. One will stay the night so must have a place clear for them to sleep.

Kathryn
#125 of 699 Old 11-28-2006, 01:08 AM

I have frozen Hummous before, and I don't think it's been mentioned here yet! So cheap and easy, yet a nice dip/spread for those snacks or sandwiches.
#126 of 699 Old 11-28-2006, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamadege5 View Post
And then I'll post the FANTABULOUS pumpkin bread recipe from Top Secret Recipes..mmmmmmmmm

this is a very flexible recipe. you can substitute coconut milk for the yogurt, also, you can replace one cup of the flour with oatmeal. i leave out the chips and nuts for my son, he prefers no additives in his pumpkin bread.

also, make sure you use small (not the tiny gift giving ones) loaf pans. the ones i use for bread baking are too big and result in a flat, dry loaf. we used the tiny gift giving ones today and this recipe made 4 of those. so, the recipe i based this recipe on is a weird size i guess.

also, make sure your bread is done when you take it out, i found different pumpkin makes the bread moister or drier and the baking times vary.

Chocolate Chip Pecan Pumpkin Bread

1 1/2 cups sugar
2 cups roasted pumpkin puree (or canned pumpkin)
1/2 cup walnut oil (or whatever fat you prefer)
1/2 cup vanilla yogurt (or 1/2 cup plain yogurt & 2 tsp. vanilla extract)
2 egg
3 cups special white whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped, toasted pecans or your favorite nut (or more as you prefer)
Cooking spray or oil to grease pans

Preheat oven to 350°.

Combine first 5 ingredients in a large bowl, stirring well with a wooden spoon and then a whisk. Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, spices, salt, and baking powder in a medium bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Add flour mixture to pumpkin mixture, stirring just until moist. Stir in chocolate chips and nuts.

Spoon batter into 2 (8 x 4-inch) loaf pans coated with cooking spray or oil. Bake at 350° for 1 hour (or so) or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes in pans on a wire rack, and remove from pans. Cool completely on wire rack. (if you can wait that long!)

great with cream cheese or mascarpone cheese.

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

#127 of 699 Old 11-28-2006, 04:28 PM

another use for pumpkin puree is to mix 2 cups pumpkin with 32 ounces chicken broth, heat until hot and spoon over cooked fresh cheese ravioli in a soup bowl and top with a dollop of yogurt or crème fraîche. yum.

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

#128 of 699 Old 11-30-2006, 07:43 PM

I just made some salmon cakes last night and froze a bunch of uncooked ones.
#129 of 699 Old 11-30-2006, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

I wonder if potato soup would freezer well...

I still have a few crab cakes in there to eat.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#130 of 699 Old 11-30-2006, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amys1st View Post
I wonder if potato soup would freezer well...
It does, but I tend to add a little water since I find it thicker than when I originally make it.
#131 of 699 Old 12-01-2006, 12:36 AM

I used up my Thanksgiving leftovers by making turkey and stuffing pie. I chopped the turkey into small pieces, mixed with the stuffing, added enough gravy to make it moist and cohesive, stirred in a handful of shredded cheddar cheese, pressed it into a pie pan, wrapped with foil, amd froze. To cook, thaw in the fridge and bake, loosely covered with foil, until hot and bubbly. I actually got three pies out of all the leftovers.

I also made ham and cheese sandwiches from the leftover wheat rolls and ham. I cut the rolls in half, spread butter on one cut surface, sprinkled dried minced onion on the butter, layered sliced ham and cheese, closed the roll, wrapped in foil, and froze. To cook, I bake them on a cookie sheet, still frozen and still wrapped in foil. The baking time depends on the size of roll and the amount of meat used, so you may have to open one and check it, but I usually bake around 30 minutes. (When I have the time, I prefer to use saiteed finely chopped onion instead of the dried minced onion.)
#132 of 699 Old 12-02-2006, 04:17 PM

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/chicken_xim_xim.html

Chicken XimXim with Ground Peanuts

Yield: 8 servings
Active Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
Ease of preparation: Easy

In African dialect, ximxim means "stew." Using ground peanuts, shrimp and coconut in stews is distinctly African. Enjoy spooned over brown rice

4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed of fat and cut into bite-size pieces
1/4 teaspoon salt
Pinch of freshly ground pepper
1 large onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
6 plum tomatoes, chopped
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup dried shrimp or 3 tablespoons fish sauce (see Notes), optional
1/4 cup roasted peanuts
1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
3/4 cup "lite" coconut milk

1. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add chicken, salt and pepper and sauté, stirring often, until cooked through, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl and set aside.
2. Heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil in the pot over medium heat. Add onion and bell pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, parsley and garlic, reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until thick and bubbly, 10 to 15 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, place dried shrimp (if using) in a food processor and process until finely ground. Transfer to a small bowl. Add peanuts to the processor and process until finely ground. Combine the ground shrimp (or fish sauce), if using, with the ground peanuts.
4. Add broth, coconut milk and the peanut mixture to the pot. Increase heat to medium, bring to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, 10 to 15 minutes. Add the reserved chicken and cook until heated through, about 2 minutes.

Per serving: 302 calories; 10 g fat (3 g sat, 4 g mono); 89 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrate; 39 g protein; 3 g fiber; 241 mg sodium.
Nutrition bonus: Vitamin C (130% daily value), Vitamin A (35% dv), Potassium (21% dv).
1 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 5 very lean meat, 1 fat

Ingredient notes: Dried shrimp are tiny dried crustaceans often used in Asian and Latin American cooking. They have a distinctive, pungent, fishy flavor. Look for them in Asian markets or at Amazon.com. Fish sauce is a pungent Southeast Asian sauce made from salted, fermented fish. It can be found in the Asian section of large supermarkets and in Asian specialty markets.

Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 1 month.

#133 of 699 Old 12-05-2006, 01:54 AM

subbing... back to read more later!

me, wife to dh, the movie geek (7/01), mama to ds1, budding Star Wars geek (10/05), dd, budding princess of the dirt (03/08) and ds2, budding extrovert. watch out! (8/10).
#134 of 699 Old 12-05-2006, 04:19 PM

: Is it too late for that turkey carcass and meat sitting in my refrigerator?
My dad sent it over and I have neglected the poor bird. I was partly afraid to use it as his fried turkey was undercooked, like raw. I don't know if this was the fried one or the roasted one.
#135 of 699 Old 12-06-2006, 04:07 AM

Quick throw it away, esp. if you don`t know if it was the raw one or not!!
I am all for being frugal and using up food but not at the risk of food posioning or worse.

Kathryn
#136 of 699 Old 12-06-2006, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamadege5 View Post
: Is it too late for that turkey carcass and meat sitting in my refrigerator?
My dad sent it over and I have neglected the poor bird. I was partly afraid to use it as his fried turkey was undercooked, like raw. I don't know if this was the fried one or the roasted one.
Can't you slow cook it? if you stick it in the slow cooker, it will finish up the cooking, and make it uber moist.

That's what I would do, but I do riskier things with my food
#137 of 699 Old 12-12-2006, 02:03 PM

I've cross-posted ths with my own thread (cause I forgot about this thread). If ya'll see anything that may not freeze or re-heat well, please let me know.

My grandmother hates to cook so I am going to freeze like 10 or 12 meals for her and my Grandpa for her Christmas gift. Thing is, I just got my deep freeze and am not really experienced with what freezes well, etc. So, these are the recipes that I have so far. Please critique and let me know if something won't reheat well. Thanks for any help you can provide (I'm afraid I'm in over my head here, but I have the utmost faith you all can throw me a line!!)

Meals so far:
1) Roast rock pidgeons/small chicken with stuffing and green beans
2) Curried pumpkin and apple soup
3) Beef stew with carrots & potatoes
4) Slow roasted pork with parsnips, carrots and sweet 'taters
5) Three bean soup with ham and chicken
6) Pork chops cooked with apples and raisins
7) French Onion soup
8) Chicken cooked in tomatoes and green olives
9) Balsamic chicken with green beans

and that's pretty much where I stall out. Help, help! Or just tell me to go buy a gift!

me, wife to dh, the movie geek (7/01), mama to ds1, budding Star Wars geek (10/05), dd, budding princess of the dirt (03/08) and ds2, budding extrovert. watch out! (8/10).
#138 of 699 Old 12-13-2006, 02:15 PM

lasagna freezes really well, if they like that, it would be a good addition to your list, and i like throwing some meat in the crock pot with a couple of bottles of bbq sauce, then shredding it when its done for sandwiches, and sticking baggies in the freezer

#139 of 699 Old 12-13-2006, 03:10 PM

nak
mmm, bbq is a great idea. they are on low-carb diets so it's pretty much meat & veggies with very small amts of grain. which sucks 'cause grains/pastas/beans go a heck of a lot farther than meats! i was thinking about using frozen veggies and basically assembling the roasts/meats and then when they put it in a warm oven to re-heat it will gently cook the veggies. hopefully that will help keep the veggie stuff from over-cooking or getting rally mushy.

#140 of 699 Old 12-13-2006, 03:34 PM

what a sweetie you are! i cooked and shopped for my mom after she had major surgery this fall. she didn't eat any of it! (she loves take out)

and then she was out of power for 8 days and so everything in her freezer went in the garbage, i was so bummed!! :

#141 of 699 Old 12-16-2006, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybeedreams View Post
Chicken XimXim with Ground Peanuts

i finally got around to making this tonight and WOW WAS IT YUMMY!

there isn't enough left to freeze! :

and it took only about 30 minutes to make.

#142 of 699 Old 12-19-2006, 08:57 PM

:
#143 of 699 Old 12-20-2006, 07:28 PM

:

Rebecca, single mama to intact Junebug 6/01, Daughter of the King!
#144 of 699 Old 12-20-2006, 07:47 PM

I finally got my freezer!!!
So a Q for all the experienced freezer stockers out there. What is the best/easiest way to lable the frozen food. So far I have put a large zip lock of mushroom barley soup and a small zip of pizza sauce. I want to put the contents and date on them so I know what is what (and can ask DH to dig something out) and eat things up in a few months.
TIA,
Kathryn
#145 of 699 Old 12-21-2006, 12:47 AM

i use a perment marker to make my jars/ bags/ ect in my freezer... HTH
#146 of 699 Old 12-23-2006, 09:58 AM

if its a baggie or a vaccum sealer bag, i usually use a sharpie, if its pyrex or tupperware, i used to print lables (name and date on regular paper) and tape them on, but now i use my lable maker

#147 of 699 Old 12-23-2006, 02:10 PM

When I had DS1 was born, my mom made frozen dinners for us. Each meal was packaged in a gallon sized ziptop bag that had been set inside an 8"x8" casserole dish. They stacked really well in the freezer and were super easy to reheat - I defrosted overnight in the dish and baked for 30 minutes in 350. Voila, dinner!

She made beef stew, shephard's pie, barbecue chicken, meatloaf, macaroni and cheese, and a few others. Having mom-made comfort food was fantastic.

I've also done once-a-month cooking in individual servings and made things like lasagne, enchiladas, calzones, pulled pork for sandwiches, and meatballs. Meatballs are the best because they can be made into a million different meals:

Chili
Kabobs with teriyaki, pineapple, bell peppers, and red onions
Stroganoff
Subs
Minestrone
Stuffed peppers
Skillet lasagne
#148 of 699 Old 12-27-2006, 04:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by momaste View Post

Chili
Kabobs with teriyaki, pineapple, bell peppers, and red onions
Stroganoff
Subs
Minestrone
Stuffed peppers
Skillet lasagne
Would you be willing to share a few recipes? (Specifically, stroganoff and skillet lasagna.) Thanks!

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#149 of 699 Old 12-27-2006, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleyhaugh View Post
li like throwing some meat in the crock pot with a couple of bottles of bbq sauce, then shredding it when its done for sandwiches, and sticking baggies in the freezer
Potentially stupid question, but what type of meat?

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#150 of 699 Old 12-27-2006, 05:20 PM

Alright, mamas.

I've got 10 lbs of frozen boneless, skinless chicken tenders in the freezer, and a baby arriving in 6 weeks.

What are some good meals to make for DH and I (DD3 is too little to eat "real" food, and DDs1&2 aren't here that often, unfortunately) that I can just throw in the oven during the 2 minutes I'll have free each day?

Hit me with recipes!!

Sarah - Mama to Vic (1/19/00), Syd (4/06/02) Sam (4/20/06-born at 30wk2d), JackJack (2/14/07) and Charlie (4/30/10)

Tags
Food Items , Nutrition Good Eating

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page