Costco 45 88.24%
Other 2 3.92%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 10-02-2006, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't really know where to post this but "Meal Planning" sounds like a close fit, so...

I'm trying to decide wether to buy a membership to Sam's club or Costco and was hoping y'all could share your opinions and experiences at these places with me.

Thanks in Advance!
Laura

Mama to 01/2008 and anxiously awaiting due July 2011
#2 of 25 Old 10-02-2006, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Costco Costco Costco. Prices are about the same. Sams Club is Walmart. Costco is nice to their employees. Costco Costco Costco.

This is a tree on fire with love, but it's still scary since most people think love only looks like one thing instead of the whole world. *
#3 of 25 Old 10-02-2006, 04:28 PM

Costco provides health insurance, money for education, and most importantly: THEY DO NOT GIVE DONATIONS TO THE REPUBLICAN PARTY!!! Whereas, Sam's club is a big GOP contributor.
#4 of 25 Old 10-03-2006, 12:28 AM

The above posters said it. Costco treats their employees well--above average pay rates, benefits, and they're a blue company, not a red one.
#5 of 25 Old 10-03-2006, 01:45 AM

Amen and amen. Not to mention they have a far superior selection. Including a some organic items and more gourmet.

Happily married to DH for 6 years, in process to foster-adopt 3 children DD4, DS3 and DS2. We may be bringing half brother age 9 one day as well! We are not infertile, we just have decided that since there are precious children who need homes there is no need for us to have biological children.

#6 of 25 Old 10-03-2006, 02:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2crazykids View Post
Whereas, Sam's club is a big GOP contributor.
Actually, thats probably a plus for me as I'm a republican:

Thank you ladies but I was actually asking for you shopping experiences ,ya know... customer service,selection, prices, etc.

Thanks for your input,
Laura

#7 of 25 Old 10-03-2006, 02:49 AM

I've not spent much time in Sam's club, but the few times I have (with MIL who has both memberships), it has seemed like Sam's was messier and without the neat more gourmet things at costco. Sam's seems more the older "warehouse store" model; costco is I dunno, yuppie warehouse, but in a good way?

I love love love pine nuts. Pricy. I can get a huge bag at costco that are good and fresh and stick em in the freezer. The meat at costco is very good (if you do conventional meat...). I get big pieces of flank steak for stir fry there--always in stock, always good cuts, good price. They have great low fat ground beef too.

I have not had great luck with vegetable. They often seem a bit old. A couple times I bought salads and things and ending up not being to use them at all. If I had gone back they would have given me a refund but the gas was not worth it.

In general, I love costco and aside formt eh walmart thing, was not impressed with Sam's enough to ever consider joining.
#8 of 25 Old 10-03-2006, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Crunch View Post
Thank you ladies but I was actually asking for you shopping experiences ,ya know... customer service,selection, prices, etc.

I have never been to Sam's club, but my parents have been members of Costco for at least 10 years. I really like the costco near them. There is lots of room between the isles for the huge carts and it's pretty easy to find your way around really quickly (like when you just want to buy something and get out) or spend hours wandering seeing what books / toys / comptuter games might be in stock. I guess I am trying to say when you walk in, even though it is a HUGE warehouse, you can find stuff you want / need pretty easily, and even when it's very crowded there is space to move, load up your stuff, chase your kids, etc. (There might be lines at the end, but when you are walking through it doesn't feel crowded). My dad has the business membership which lets him in an hour early and we always try to go right when the store opens. Even an hour later it's not that bad.

Other plusses they have a bakery and kids clothes (carters, osh kosh) pretty cheap. The bakery is on site and really yummy (not organic though, or it might be now I haven't been there in a couple of years). Lots of huge packs of freezer food cheap. Greens / salad stuff cheap. I think it could be really good for meal planning, and we don't even get the meat etc. because we keep Kosher but we still find plenty of stuff

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

#9 of 25 Old 10-03-2006, 08:18 AM

Quote:

Thanks for your input,
Laura
I had a feeling you were going to say that....
#10 of 25 Old 10-03-2006, 08:59 AM
Banned

Quote:

Thanks for your input,
Laura
Then as a Republican, you should probably deplore any business such as Wal-Mart that actively encourages its employees to go on the public dole, thus costing the taxpayers hundreds of thousands of dollars for every Wal-Mart or Sam's Club that does business. "Conservative" used to mean fiscally conservative at one point. :
#11 of 25 Old 10-03-2006, 08:59 AM

Sam's is the only choice around here, we don't have a Costco. I know at Sam's Club you can go in and tell them you are considering becoming a member, and they will give you a one day pass. That way you can shop around, check out prices, see what you do and don't like, and then make a decision. I would bet that Costco would offer the same thing.
#12 of 25 Old 10-03-2006, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg Murry. View Post
Then as a Republican, you should probably deplore any business such as Wal-Mart that actively encourages its employees to go on the public dole, thus costing the taxpayers hundreds of thousands of dollars for every Wal-Mart or Sam's Club that does business. "Conservative" used to mean fiscally conservative at one point. :
Ok...that's a much better point than my pathetic comment...I love the incredible , intelligent, and insightful mamas on this board!
#13 of 25 Old 10-03-2006, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you ladies! It seems that ,politics aside, Costco is still the clear winner. Now I just have to find the nearest Costco and give them a visit.

Thanks again,
Laura

#14 of 25 Old 10-04-2006, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelEve14 View Post
I think it could be really good for meal planning, and we don't even get the meat etc. because we keep Kosher but we still find plenty of stuff
I think the Costco here in Indy might have Kosher meats. I seem to recall my SIL saying something about stocking up there.
#15 of 25 Old 10-04-2006, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
I think the Costco here in Indy might have Kosher meats. I seem to recall my SIL saying something about stocking up there.
Wow that's great! I haven't been there in a couple of years but we are going back to the states in Nov. for a few months so I will have to check it out. I know the bakery there is kosher

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

#16 of 25 Old 10-04-2006, 04:12 PM

I voted "other"

My dh's friend has a BJ's Warehouse membership and we tag along with him every now and then. It is less expensive than Costco, and they take coupons (both manufacturer coupons and their own).

It also never has the crazy long lines that costco does
#17 of 25 Old 10-04-2006, 04:58 PM

i loves the costco. my parents have a membership, so they pick up stuff for us often. my dad ALWAYS gets salad greens and tomatoes from there-- they're always cheaper and better tasting than anything we can pick up from the regular grocery store. their fresh-baked bread is always of good quality and my father insists we always get our thanksgiving pumpkin pies there because they're excellent. i don't believe my parents have ever had a negative shopping experience there.
ps. and going during sample time= lots and lots of yummies for free, heheh.
#18 of 25 Old 10-04-2006, 05:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I have had both memberships as I live where there are no Costcos currently and have lived previously where there are no Sams either. Besides the fact that Costco pays their employees MUCH better with better benefits, I also just like shopping there better. It feels cleaner, there are more organic/healthy choices, the prices aren't any worse than Sam's Club either. Sams Club is starting to carry a few more organic items,but not even close to what costco had. If we had a Costco nearby, we wouldn't have a Sam's membership, we would stick to Costco.

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

#19 of 25 Old 10-10-2006, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg Murry. View Post
I don't know where you peole get your information....DH and I both work part time for WM and we make too much for food stamps and tax-paid "assistance"
#20 of 25 Old 10-10-2006, 07:30 PM

Costco all the way. It has a better selection than Sams, and is just overall a better company to support.

We've been very happy with our Costco membership, and we had a Sams membership for a year a while back. We didn't renew the Sams membership. We're going on for our 4th year at Costco now.
#21 of 25 Old 10-11-2006, 01:36 PM

I vote Costco mostly based on principle. Sams Club is part of Wal Mart. I do like Costco better anyway though.

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#22 of 25 Old 10-11-2006, 02:01 PM

We switched to Costco a few years ago, as soon as one opened by us. So I haven't been in Sam's for years, but I like Costco's selection a lot. There is still a lot of "tempting junk" in the store - toys, clothes, storage units. But sometimes we need that stuff and it's nice to be able to buy it close to home.

I like a lot of their frozen and prepared foods - chicken sausages and raviolis are a couple of our meal planning standbys. We mostly get unprepared foods though - cheeses, coffee, milk, fruits and veggies, tortillas. Meats I still buy at the regular grocery based on sales.

Bridget. Momma to DD (4), expecting DS - 9/09, wife to SAHD. Gardener, coffee addict, urban dweller.
#23 of 25 Old 10-11-2006, 02:19 PM

Dh's dad has his own buisness and pays for both memberships for us. On principle I vastly prefer to shop at Costco over SC. I did a price comparison a few months ago of the items we regularly purchase. SC had a few more "organic" optitions at that time, and there were a few items cheeper at SC but over all Costco was better for the items we buy. Great price on kerrygold cheese! Also nitrate free sausages.

DH&Me  Christ follower, homeschooler, gardener, (insert lots of additional crunchiness here) chicken mama, & occasionally blogger. intactlact.gifMama of  boys 9,7,3.5,&11months....& SURPRISE jaw2.gif  expecting a BOY in November!  7 sweet-babes gone too soon.

#24 of 25 Old 10-12-2006, 11:50 AM

I have had both memberships,as I live where there are no Costco's currently. When we have a Costco (we will in a few months, they're building now), we'll cancel our Sam's membership, (and ask for a refund).
As for the why's... The meats are better, love the sale on the seafood (crab legs for $6.00 ), clothes are a good price and selection, holiday shopping for the DP main office and practitioners, Holiday shopping in general, better overall prices, friendliness, always clean, well organized, great selection on all items. Can I say more? I'll have a choice soon and Costco will get my money.
(Look, an answer without politics
#25 of 25 Old 10-12-2006, 04:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
At one point, we had memberships to both places. Now we just keep up the Costco one. There is ONE thing that we will occaisionally ask his parents to pick up for us at Sams...otherwise, pretty much everything Sams has, Costco has for the same price, PLUS Costco, as previously mentioned, has a lot of organic produce, great bakery goods, and really great prices on stuff we like to buy bulk (and can't currently afford to buy organic), like eggs and butter. They even have organic milk, kefir, and soy milk in bulk. Not bad...

BTW, if you want to avoid the lines, go during the day NOT on the weekend!

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page