Beans & Rice - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-07-2006, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
To my bayou blood, beans and rice is red beans (kidney beans) cooked with some kind of salt pork and seasoned with red pepper and served with rice.

I want to start including some kind of beans and rice in our menu each week. I love, love, love my cajun beans and rice, but I need some new ideas.

So, help me mamas. To you, what is "beans and rice." How do you fix it?

Amanda, momma to Caroline (5/31/05) and Mary Elizabeth (1/8/09)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2006, 12:34 AM

Oh boy oh boy am I ever subscribing.

I don't have a fabulous recipe per se, I usually make it up anew each time, sometimes it's fabulous and sometimes dreadful. But I just have a couple tricks... a Peruvian friend showed me that beans & lentils and potatoes cooked together enhance each other's flavor enormously. My DH adores "Bosnian Beans" which, I gather, are coated in toasted white flour. Gave me a bellyache so I haven't made it, but that was really yummy too.
Old 10-08-2006, 01:06 AM

I like red beans and brown rice made into a layered casserole with canned ortega chiles, ricotta cheese and cheddar cheese on top.

Also- a mexican bean and rice bowl...pinto beans seasoned with cumin and garlic and even fried in butter if you'd like, brown rice cooked in chicken broth, stewed tomatoes and red pepper. Top with cheese, shredded lettuce, tomatoes, cilantro, sour cream and salsa.

Garbanzo beans (chickpeas) cooked in a curry sauce is nice over rice.

Just to name a few.

Happily married to DH for 6 years, in process to foster-adopt 3 children DD4, DS3 and DS2. We may be bringing half brother age 9 one day as well! We are not infertile, we just have decided that since there are precious children who need homes there is no need for us to have biological children.

Old 10-08-2006, 01:31 AM

black beans are great with garlic, onion, diced tomatoes, green chile, cumin, coriander and salt. you can put corn in it as well if you like.

refried beans are easy. although traditionally they are made with lard, we don't do pork so i cook them with a bay leaf and garlic, and when they get very tender i mash them up a bit with a potato masher and add salt and olive oil.

as for rice...i usually just mix it with the beans so i don't usually do anything special to fix them, but i do really like rice pudding for breakfast. lol.

dreads.gif and my man mischievous.gif. Momma to ds1 (11-'04) blahblah.gif, ds2 (8-'08) hammer.gif, dd (3-'12) orngtongue.gif, and Mr Blue, Chiyo, and Fireball, our 3 cat.gifnovaxnocirc.gif intactlact.gif uc.jpg

Old 10-08-2006, 01:03 PM

I made a great casserole this week--black eyed peas and rice, along with a can of diced tomatoes and sauteed trinity (bell pepper, celery, onion). Season with cajun seasoning, salt, pepper. It was really good.

User Tag List