What do you eat for breakfast? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 10-16-2006, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have found the best way to save money each month is to actually make breakfast-
I have 3 hungry boys that will easily polish off a double batch of anything (pancakes, muffins, waffles, etc)
We only eat cold cereal on Sundays- It's my "day off"

We rotate through:
pancakes
oatmeal/granola
toast
eggs
banana bread
muffins

I feel like I make the same thing every week- like every Monday we have oatmeal... how boring is that?

Rachel, wife to Brian, mother of 5. Lover of birth.
Blog on profile.
#2 of 20 Old 10-16-2006, 01:11 PM

I mostly eat leftovers for breakfast--this morning (if I'd had time to eat it...) would have been curried potato and lentil soup.
#3 of 20 Old 10-16-2006, 05:26 PM

We pretty much eat the same thing every week, too. On Sundays, I make refrigerated cinnamon rolls (preservatives and all), as my "day off", too.

We eat oatmeal, eggs in a frame (eggs cooked in the toast), and homemade McMuffins almost every day. On Saturdays, we'll have pancakes or the whole shebang--eggs, grits, biscuits, gravy. Yum.
#4 of 20 Old 10-17-2006, 01:45 AM

We do the same rotation every week. It dosn't really seem like a rut, though because before we went NT I defaulted with white flour bagels with cream cheese and dh defaulted to cereal or bought Jimmy Dean Sausage Sandwiches (tasty but oh so bad) every single day.

Mon: Oatmeal
Tues: Whole yogurt with diced apples, maple syrup, cinnamon and a sprinkle of granola (not NT, but I figure 1 TBSP of crunch is better than a whole bowlful)
Wed: Eggs and Ezekiel 4:9 toast with butter and raw honey
Thurs: Oatmeal or Brown Rice Pudding (with raisins, cinnamon, maple syrup)
Fri: Me: Toast with peanut butter, apple sauce and cinnamon, dh: cereal
Sat: Big Breakfast Day (on my day off): eggs, pancakes, bacon or sausage, OJ
Sun: Muffins (made the night before if we have to go to church early) or french toast

Happily married to DH for 6 years, in process to foster-adopt 3 children DD4, DS3 and DS2. We may be bringing half brother age 9 one day as well! We are not infertile, we just have decided that since there are precious children who need homes there is no need for us to have biological children.

#5 of 20 Old 10-17-2006, 01:56 AM

Hmm... I sometimes make sweet potato with fixings. Also quinoa can be made into a quick porridge, savory or sweet. Amaranth flour can be lightly toasted for porridge, there's rice pudding, congee/jook, ground rice for cream of rice...
#6 of 20 Old 10-18-2006, 12:55 AM

I use the same weekly rotation, keeps me sane. m- cottage cheese and fruit (usually apple sauce); t- bagel and cream cheese; w- eggs, toast; th- cereal; f- oatmeal; s&s- same as th&f. Some days I'm inspired to make pancakes.
#7 of 20 Old 10-25-2006, 11:00 PM

What is the eggs in a frame?
#8 of 20 Old 10-26-2006, 10:24 AM

Egg in a frame is a piece of bread, you tear out the middle, then you fry an egg in the hole. I put butter in the pan, put the bread down for a bit, then flip the bread, put the egg in, fry it, then flip the whole thing to cook the other side. You cook the egg until it's the done-ness you like, but I like runny middles so that I can dip the toast from the edges in the yolk. Yummy.
#9 of 20 Old 10-27-2006, 12:58 PM

Dosas with yogurt. The dosas get mixed up 36+ hours ahead of time and soak. All you have to do in the morning is cook them on the stove. I serve them with whole milk plain yogurt and mashed bananas. My husband (not a fan of yogurt) gobbled them down.

Emily
#10 of 20 Old 10-27-2006, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetsyS View Post
Egg in a frame is a piece of bread, you tear out the middle, then you fry an egg in the hole. I put butter in the pan, put the bread down for a bit, then flip the bread, put the egg in, fry it, then flip the whole thing to cook the other side. You cook the egg until it's the done-ness you like, but I like runny middles so that I can dip the toast from the edges in the yolk. Yummy.
My mom made this for us when we were kids, and called it eggs in a nest. She cut the hole out with different fun shapes of cookie cutters. I make it for my kids and they love it too.

Here my kids get cold cereal (not the sugary kind - or a mix of plain Cheerios and something sugary like Apple Cinnamon Cheerios) and organic 2% milk for breakfast. Sometimes yogurt. Sometimes a banana. Even cold pizza every now and again (they love to hear how I used to eat cold pizza for breakfast at college). Hot breakfast is on the weekends, when we have more time. And dh always cooks that. "Daddy breakfast" is either your choice of egg preparation (his omelets are to die for) with homemade hash browns and bacon, or pancakes/waffles and bacon.
#11 of 20 Old 10-30-2006, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyGFab View Post
Dosas with yogurt. The dosas get mixed up 36+ hours ahead of time and soak. All you have to do in the morning is cook them on the stove. I serve them with whole milk plain yogurt and mashed bananas. My husband (not a fan of yogurt) gobbled them down.

Emily
What is Dosas? Sounds nice and easy!

Rachel, wife to Brian, mother of 5. Lover of birth.
Blog on profile.
#12 of 20 Old 10-30-2006, 05:12 PM

Another quick and easy breakfast during the week around our house is breakfast burritos.
#13 of 20 Old 10-31-2006, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetsyS View Post
I call this Toad in the Hole, I know toad in the hole can also be sausages and Yorshire pudding though. I believe it has many names. I like that it is quick and easy.
#14 of 20 Old 11-03-2006, 12:49 AM

A couple of things that I've added to use up left-overs and make things more interesting:

I put any leftover rice in the fridge and then cook it in the morning with a can of coconut milk, some ginger and a little cinnamon until it's a nice rice pudding and then put fresh diced fruit on top. This takes about 30-40 minutes.

I make a quiche and fill it with leftover whatever I have, some cheese, some veggies, left over tomato sauce, yams, seafood, etc... anything will work here. This will usually last for a week. If I have a lot to use up, I make it in a springform pan and then freeze the leftovers.

Fruit, veggie or egg turnovers with filo dough. You could use puff pastry too, but I don't make it myself and I can't find it organic-transfat free, so I just go with filo. It works really well and tastes great.

Scones are really easy to make and another good way to get rid of fruit or even things like spinach and feta cheese. I use cheese and nuts a lot to get protein with these.
#15 of 20 Old 11-03-2006, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirsten View Post
My mom made this for us when we were kids, and called it eggs in a nest. She cut the hole out with different fun shapes of cookie cutters. I make it for my kids and they love it too.
my BIL made this for us when we visiting earlier this year, and now i make it a few times a week he called it 'eggs in a nest' as well, but said its supposed to be with hash browns or bisquits or something instead of toast/bread. we just use bread, though.:
#16 of 20 Old 11-03-2006, 09:02 AM

well the past 2 days ive made dh homemade biscuits with homemade sausage gravy.... i made it yesterday, and he said dont woory about it i dont need breakfast.... oooh, this is really good.... then this morning i asked him how he wanted his eggs cooked, and he said..... could you make more biscuits and gravy??? please

lol

*~*Ashley*~* newly single mama to Tristan 10/01/2007
#17 of 20 Old 11-03-2006, 10:57 AM

I eat oatmeal weekdays. DH and DS have eggs and toast (we have chickens). On weekends we have eggs and toast or potatoes(Sat.) and pancakes or waffles (Sunday).

Amy at Stone Fence Farm
:
#18 of 20 Old 11-03-2006, 01:37 PM

We like egg scrambles.

Last week we used broccoli, zuchinni & tomatoes. Saute the veggies, add the eggs, then scramble. I top with hot sauce and feta when we have it.

We also do a lot of kefir smoothies.
#19 of 20 Old 11-08-2006, 05:30 PM

I make a lot of pancakes. Once you have the pancake thing down, you can make whatever type of pancakes the available ingredients call for. For instance, if I have a lot of eggs, they are crepes, if I have a milk substitute (no dairy for me) then I'll make buttermilk style pancakes (a dash of lemon juice is enough acid for the baking soda/acid reaction to make them fluffy). If I have some other grains like flax or oats, I toss those in, too.

Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches are a good "I don't want to cook anything" breakfast.

We buy bread in large quantities at an outlet and then freeze it, so if we have a lot of bread I make french toast. I often eat oatmeal, but that's a breakfast only I eat, so I fry up a few eggs for DP. That's another fast breakfast I make: eggs on toast. He used to eat a lot of cold cereal, but that stuff is so expensive and the way he eats it, the family size lasts two days! Someday when we have more money (and pigs fly) maybe we'll get cold cereal again... if he still has a taste for it.

I'm curious about a cooking more variety of grains, but leery because I tried kasha and... ick. I have a bag of sproutable barley I'd like to get some use out of. Any suggestions?

I'm a proud mama of two girls! 4/30/06 Madeline, 09/25/08 Amelia
--**I'm here to share my mistakes and learn from yours**--
#20 of 20 Old 11-08-2006, 05:39 PM

On weekends I like making egg bakes. Also pancakes, french toast, eggs... On weekdays its usually toast and coffee.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page