Tips for organic Foods on a budget - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 10-23-2006, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had to type this up for another board but I figured it could be used here as well.
Get a big Freezer - this will save you more money in the long run then anything
Order a 1/2 a pig and 1/4 beef from a local organic or free range producer. When you order a 1/4 or 1/2 an animal then you get a selection of cuts - from your Prime Bib roasts down to your ribs and stew meats you always have variety - and ANY cut can be made tast fantastic
Buy fruits and Vegies in Season and put in the freezer, pulling them out when you need them. Fresh frozen foods are just as healthy as fresh, and better then canned, without the extra effort
You could easily spend the cost of a big freezer in canning supplies and still have to do a pile of work.
Buy in bulk, for grains buy right from an organic mill - they are way cheaper because they haven't been shipped to you high end stores and had a fancy sticker stuck on them. Alot of the mills also carry beans and lentals and such.
Also the large quantities you get the better the price. So get the 25lb bag of flour and the 20lb bag of oatmeal, Grains and Flours are best kept in the freezer as well, it keeps them fresh and keeps bugs out.
Avoid expensive organic knock offs, you can make a great granola cereal at home with very little effort. Cake mixes can be made in lage batches at home - just put all the dry stuff together and when you need to make a cake then just scoop out the amount needed and add the eggs and liquid.
Focus your organic buying on foods that are highest in contaminants that you dont want, ie
vegtables that you arn't going to peel - lettuce, tomatos, celerys, peaches , grapes, potatos -you get the picture
grains and flours - organic grains are often FAR less prosseds then conventional grains. They also tend to taste better.
Meats and Dairy - you definatly want to try and get organic here or at very least antibiotic free.
#2 of 6 Old 10-23-2006, 11:48 PM

Thanks for the tips! I like the idea of buying 1/2 organic cow. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find any organic meat in my area.
#3 of 6 Old 10-24-2006, 02:09 PM

Something else would be to join a food buying club if there is one in your area. In Ontario you can contact the Ontario Natural Food Coop for info on buying clubs in your area.

www.onfc.ca
#4 of 6 Old 10-25-2006, 12:59 AM

Thanks for the tips!
#5 of 6 Old 10-28-2006, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mags View Post
Thanks for the tips! I like the idea of buying 1/2 organic cow. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find any organic meat in my area.

Seek out locaL FARMERS. Many don't inject their animals and will let you buy some of their cow when they take it to market
#6 of 6 Old 10-30-2006, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Looking for a share in an animal? Check out the CSA lists. Often, in our area, the local organic fruit and veggie farmers (and local for us is within two hours) keep a list of all of the other natural and organic farmers in the area. The two csa's we participate in each have available lists for cows, milk, eggs, poultry. One actually keeps other farmers' goods on their premisis to make it easier for CSA members to get it, and they both set up the shares of the cows. ANYONE? I dont remember the web address for the page that will link you to local csa's in your state, but I know it exists!

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page