pregnant mamas, what's your favorite thing to make when you are too tired to really c - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 10-25-2006, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DH usually wants eggs something when i am too tired to cook for real.

problem is, i usually eat eggs for breakfast and don't want them again for dinner.

what's your favorite really quick dish?

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 25 Old 10-26-2006, 10:22 AM

When I was pregnant, we ate a lot of my favorite comfort food. Noodles with butter and parm cheese. You can add zuchinni for a little more nutrition. This isn't the healthiest meal, but it's filling and quick and it is a major comfort food for me.

I also ate a lot of apples and cheese, cut up so that I could alternate bites.

We won't mention the instant iced tea that went with every meal. ROFL
#3 of 25 Old 10-26-2006, 05:31 PM

:

Wife to one. Mama to 5.
#4 of 25 Old 10-26-2006, 05:43 PM

Tator tot casserole......prolly not the best but that was my stand by during my last 2 pregnancies.

Layer frozen tots in a casserole dish

Brown 1lb ground beef

In a bowl mix cream of mushroom and cream of chicken soup along with ground beef and one can of drained spinach

pour 3/4 mixture over tots

add another layer of tots

pour last of mixture on tots and top with cheese

Bake covered at 375 for 35-45 minutes
#5 of 25 Old 10-26-2006, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

wow, that sounds really gooey amazing! but i'd prolly die from it. i can't eat anything processed... esp. like canned soups. :

(i do still crave tater tots because they were a regular in my hosue when i was a kid. sometimes i get a package of the organic ones so i can sleep at night! )

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

#6 of 25 Old 10-26-2006, 08:21 PM

I've been trying to use the crock pot a lot more- and take advantage of the moments that I actually have energy

Last night I put 5 or 6 chicken breasts in the crock pot, covered them with lime (3 TBS) and chili powder (1 TBS) (mix those first) and added a clove of pressed garlic cooked on low for about 6 hours I think (it was ready earlier...we weren't) and then I shredded it.

It was great in tacos, and DH had it on a salad, it had a good flavor and was super easy.

A variation we've had before is add a can of corn and jar of salsa at the end after you've shredded the chicken and that was very good as well, and even snuck a few veggies in

Minimal prep work and a pretty decent meal-
#7 of 25 Old 10-27-2006, 01:53 PM

When pregnant I used my slow cooker alot as well. Like the pp said, allowed me to cook in the morning while I had a bit of energy.

Otherwise, I think for like 2 months in a row for lunch I had one avocado, sliced, with lime juice and salt (obviously I didn't have blood pressure issues...) Yummy! Sometimes I'd mix things up by adding hummus and carrots on the side. That only works if you're only feeding yourself tho!
#8 of 25 Old 10-27-2006, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

OMG! here's another one of those tater tot recipes!! i wonder if i made sure i had everything on hand dh would make this when i go into labor?? : maybe the doula would make it.

Ham and Tater Crockpot Breakfast
This delicious breakfast casserole recipe cooks overnight in your crockpot. I love the combination of tater tots, ham, onion, and egg.
INGREDIENTS:
1 lb. frozen tater tots
1/2 lb. diced ham
1 onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1-1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
6 eggs
1/2 cup milk
salt and pepper to taste
PREPARATION:
In 4-5 quart crockpot, layer ingredients in order: one third of the tater tots, ham, onions, green peppers, and cheese. Repeat layers two more times, ending with cheese.
In a medium mixing bowl, combine eggs and milk and beat with whisk or egg beater until combined.
Season with salt and pepper to taste. Pour mixture over layers in crockpot. Cover crockpot and cook on low for 10-12 hours. 6-8 servings

#9 of 25 Old 10-29-2006, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

here's some more recipes i dregged up from the cooking classes i taught at the HFS.

BBQ tofu and beans

3 cups hot cooked rice (brown or white)
1 package exta firm tofu, cut up in chunks
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup BBQ sauce

mix everything together and warm slowly over low heat.

tomato tortellini soup

1 32 ounce box organic chicken or veggie broth
1 28 ounce can diced tomatoes
i package frozen tortellini, cooked

mix soup and tomatoes and heat until hot. pour over tortellini in bowls.

you can float fresh spinach on top of the bowls too.

pumpkin soup with ravioli

1 32 ounce organic chicken or veggie broth
1 small can organic pumpkin
1 9 ounce package fresh small ravioli, cooked

mix soup and pumpkin and heat until hot, serve over ravioli. spinkle with pepitas (mexican pumpkin seeds) if you have them on hand.

veggies and pasta

1 package frozen organic veggies
1 package frozen stuffed pasta (ravioli, etc)
1 jar premade tomato sauce
parm cheese

bring a big pot of water to boil, add veggies and return to boil, add pasta. cook 4-5 minutes, drain. add sauce to hot pot warm up and add veggies nad pasta back into sauce. serve hot with parm cheese on top.

HTH! i'm typing them up for dh!!

#10 of 25 Old 10-30-2006, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybeedreams View Post
OMG! here's another one of those tater tot recipes!! i wonder if i made sure i had everything on hand dh would make this when i go into labor?? : maybe the doula would make it.

Ham and Tater Crockpot Breakfast
This delicious breakfast casserole recipe cooks overnight in your crockpot. I love the combination of tater tots, ham, onion, and egg.
INGREDIENTS:
1 lb. frozen tater tots
1/2 lb. diced ham
1 onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1-1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
6 eggs
1/2 cup milk
salt and pepper to taste
PREPARATION:
In 4-5 quart crockpot, layer ingredients in order: one third of the tater tots, ham, onions, green peppers, and cheese. Repeat layers two more times, ending with cheese.
In a medium mixing bowl, combine eggs and milk and beat with whisk or egg beater until combined.
Season with salt and pepper to taste. Pour mixture over layers in crockpot. Cover crockpot and cook on low for 10-12 hours. 6-8 servings

LORD! I think I just found Christmas breakfast! Wouldn't it be nice to just have it ready when we got up?! Ooooh, yum!

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

#11 of 25 Old 10-30-2006, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

last year at new years (which is my birthday) i made up a french toast casserole and put it in the fridge. in the morning, i just put it in the oven and it was ready!

it *would* be nice to have someone else make breakfast one in a while, eh?

#12 of 25 Old 10-31-2006, 08:37 PM

I do salmon or chicken salad.

Dump one can of canned salmon or chicken into a bowl and flake. Add a half-pint of kimchi (for the salmon), a spoon of coconut oil, some salt, a diced rib of celery, a clove of crushed garlic, a diced bell pepper (for the salmon), grape halves (for the chicken), pecans (for the chicken), some mayo, and you can add grated or chopped carrot, cooked quinoa or chopped boiled eggs.

KerryAnn @ CookingTF dot com - Nutrient dense foods your kids will LOVE!  Real Food Cooking School and Lactofermentation Classes now live! Use coupon code "CTF" for 20% off.

#13 of 25 Old 11-06-2006, 05:12 AM

When I'm too tired to cook I tell DH that I'm craving hamburgers because he's in charge of all things grill related and we always do hamburgers on the foreman.
#14 of 25 Old 11-06-2006, 02:14 PM

Veggies or crackers & hummus was my fav snack while preg. Quick, easy & so yummy

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#15 of 25 Old 11-13-2006, 06:44 PM

I like to have my homemade tuna salad (although my husband likes me to limit the amount of tuna in our diet). I use cottage cheese, drained tuna, vinegar, chopped celery, chopped onions and tons of fresh black pepper (all to taste). I spent a couple of weeks with my mom and grandma this past summer and I got both of them hooked on it and it is so easy to make. I am starving! I need to stop talking about food.
#16 of 25 Old 11-13-2006, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

do you eat tuna when pregnant? even the conservative CDC says you shouldn't.

#17 of 25 Old 11-14-2006, 06:37 AM

Not often but sometimes. I have made it 3 times since I became pregnant. I can't control a craving and having a small amount of tuna is better to me than me biting my husbands’ head off because I can't have something. I have done wonderfully with diet while pregnant, but sometimes you just got to have what you want. I tried making it with chicken, tofu, chickpeas, and hard-boiled eggs but it wasn't the same, I wanted the tuna taste. I know the views of the CDC (I actually work for the CDC ) and others about tuna but denying a pregnant woman a craving can be dangerous (my poor husband found this out the hard way).
#18 of 25 Old 11-14-2006, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

tofuna salad is a nice substitute, it works for me, since i very rarely eat tuna (or other high mercury contaminated fish) anymore, pregnant or not.

http://blog.vegkitchen.com/2006/06/w...ofu-tuna-salad

#19 of 25 Old 11-14-2006, 05:16 PM

reservations.

Sorry, couldn't resist!

Rice in a rice cooker. Throw sausage or any meat on top when it's mostly cooked. It'll cook the meat. Any already prepared sauce, kimchi, saurkraut, soy sauce, anything to add flavor so you don't have to (unless the sausage is pretty flavorful).

Zia+Lane+Sonora=Mi Vida Loca! :
#20 of 25 Old 11-14-2006, 05:30 PM

I'd make some frozen cheese ravioli, and wilt a bag of fresh baby spinach in the marinara sauce - voila, one dish meal.

Mama to DS (8) and DD (7) Aristotle was not Belgian. The central message of Buddhism is not "Every man for himself." And the London Underground is not a political movement.

#21 of 25 Old 11-15-2006, 01:43 AM

I no longer eat tuna (while pregnant or not pregnant). I'm just not comfy with it.

Whole foods and similar stores sell canned wild salmon, which isn't as inexpensive as tuna, but is still very reasonably priced for some decent protein. It works for me as a decent substitute, and my toddler likes it a lot. I'm sure it won't work for everyone, but throwing it out there as an option.
#22 of 25 Old 12-01-2006, 06:09 AM

When I am at my most tired pg times I seem to have an aversion to all meat, fish and chicken. So it is salad, salad, salad for me. I usually have canned chickpeas or white beans or some sort of bean to throw in for protien. Baby greens, spinach, red onion, pine nuts. I make a different dressing each time.

tonight is marinated salad (sm. jar of marinated artichokes, roasted red pepper, black olives, cuckes, red onion and pine nuts) with some whole grain spelt spirals. Little Miss M will have steamed carrots and the pasta and some goat cheese.

honeybeedreams we have the same EDD!!
Kathryn
#23 of 25 Old 12-01-2006, 10:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
When I was pg, I was often too tired to cook, plus we were dirt broke. My fave meal was whole wheat pancakes with peanut butter and applesauce. I'd toss an extra egg and some protein powder or soy flour into the batter, and use natural applesauce. It used up eggs and milk and peanut butter I got from WIC. All I really had to spring for was flour and baking powder. I got to where I could make pancakes in my sleep.

Pancakes are still one of our fave meals, though DD is allergic to eggs and peanut butter...

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#24 of 25 Old 12-05-2006, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krankedyann View Post
I do salmon or chicken salad.

Dump one can of canned salmon or chicken into a bowl and flake. Add a half-pint of kimchi (for the salmon), a spoon of coconut oil, some salt, a diced rib of celery, a clove of crushed garlic, a diced bell pepper (for the salmon), grape halves (for the chicken), pecans (for the chicken), some mayo, and you can add grated or chopped carrot, cooked quinoa or chopped boiled eggs.
This is one of the best sounding Chicken Salad recipies.... Off to put to in my notebook!
#25 of 25 Old 12-08-2006, 02:41 PM

I do crockpot or soups a lot now that I don't feel like cooking. My favorite is chicken soup. Simply boil whatever chicken you have (I use thighs because they're cheaper) in a big pot with just enough water to cover. You can add some boullion if you want. When it's done, take them out to cool, so you can debone. Add a chopped onion, carrots and celery and mushrooms. Simmer until veggies are tender, debone and tear up chicken into chunks, add back to pot. If you like it creamy, add a can of evaporated milk. Add spices to taste, usually sage, garlic, black pepper, parsley. Add noodles before serving. Takes a while to make, but you don't do everything at once. I start it after lunch, do other things, come back to add veggies, etc. So it's not a lot of work, and it's done for supper.
Another good one that just simmers all day is chili. Or a big pot of ham and beans. Anything I can do a little at a time is good now! I don't feel like spending an hour or two at a time standing in the kitchen, and I make enough for leftovers to freeze too.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page