Anyone up for a January pantry challenge? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-02-2007, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've never participated in this before, but I REALLY need to clear out our pantry/freezer. I like to buy in bulk when I find things on sale and as a result we have an over-flowing pantry and two freezers. We are probably moving in a couple of months and I don't want to move tons of frozen meat or canned goods.

For the rest of the month I really want to make a concerted effort to only buy the perishables that we need- milk, eggs, produce, etc. The only grocery items I'll buy are ones that we really need to complete a meal/dish or staples that we run out of such as peanut butter. My very picky MIL lives with us and she refuses to eat anything even semi-healthy, so I have to buy a lot of frozen junk and fast food for her so that's another exception for me.

I just finished menu planning for the week and shopping. Breakfast is always cereal, yogurt or oatmeal and lunches are generally leftovers or a PB&J sandwich so I did not write those out.

Tues-Teriyaki chicken (from Trader Joes- has been in the back of the freezer for a LONG time), frozen green beans from last year's garden, brown rice
Wed- Venison sloppy joes, a large green salad, corn
Thurs- Ham and beans, cornbread, more salad
Fri- Salmon tacos on whole wheat tortillas, guacamole, chips
Sat- leftovers

All I had to get at the store this week was some produce (bananas, greens for salad, cilantro, a lime & oranges), milk, yogurt, sour cream, and bread- mostly organic. I only spent around $25-30 for the week if you subtract the things I bought for MIL (frozen dinners, diet Pepsi, smoked sausage, Pringles, a few other things) off of the bill.

Anyone else?
#2 of 6 Old 01-03-2007, 12:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My mom lived with us for four years...I did the same thing as you and would often plan and buy around HER tastes and needs instead of/in addition to ours. Then I got frustrated. It was expensive. Not to mention boring. SO, I started planning and buying for OUR needs and likes. She either ate what I made or she bought her own or had cereal. It ended up sooooo much easier in the end!

I have to go feed MY pantry, but after I do that, I will really be working hard to eat from it and my freezer for the next few months. We need to save every penny we can. We just do. So, I'll be in in a day or two, after there is actually a stash of staples IN the pantry!

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

#3 of 6 Old 01-03-2007, 10:33 AM

I'm in. We have so many leftovers from the holidays I just can't in good conscience go out and buy more. At this point most of the perishable stuff has been frozen, but the pantry... Yikes!
All of the dry ingredients you buy to make holiday dinners... Let's just say I literally opened the cupboard the other day and was pelted by falling boxes...

I want to take a complete kitchen inventory and then type it up and post it on the inside of the cupboard. I think it will help remind me of what is hiding in the deep recesses (We have a *very* deep pantry) and use that stuff up. Then I'll need to learn how to actually meal plan... Ha! This should be fun!
#4 of 6 Old 01-03-2007, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Gillian, I have to say how cool it is to see your name. My sister is a Gillian with a "g." My family is from Ireland, and that is how it's spelled there...and we NEVER see it that way anywhere else. My sister loves it when we go back, because it's the only place she ever gets "stuff" with her name on it spelled correctly! Yes, she's 27 years old, but I think the deprivation during the school years may have made her a "pencil with your name on it" addict for life!

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

#5 of 6 Old 01-03-2007, 12:23 PM

Ha!!!! I so wanted name pencils as a kid!!

Dh, his sister and Ds all have very heavy Irish names (so will this baby probably) as is our last name, so I can totally understand. It's rare (and lovely!) to meet someone who can actually pronounce our names without prompting!
#6 of 6 Old 01-03-2007, 01:23 PM

Yee-haw! I'm most definitley in. We're moving to Canada at the end of the month and so I have a ton of things to get rid of. My challenge is that my husband doesn't like lentils and I have about 5 bags of them. Hmmmm....

My goal is to only buy produce this month as we're trying to ween ourselves off of dairy products. We have lots of items in our pantry (rice, lentils, beans, crackers, spices, canned tomatoes, etc.) and lots in our freezer (steaks, chicken, pork chops, ground turkey, and shrimp). This week I spent $52 on mainly produce but I also had to get a few things for New Years dinner we had with a few friends.

I'm most definitley in!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page