No money - 2 weeks til payday. What to make? - Mothering Forums
1 2 
Meal Planning > No money - 2 weeks til payday. What to make?
Mamatohaleybug's Avatar Mamatohaleybug 05:27 PM 01-09-2007
It's two weeks until payday and due to some unforeseen circumstances I'll have no money to speak of until then (I'll scrounge to come up with fresh milk, eggs and a few fresh veggies). I USED to have a pretty decent food storage in my basement but we've used a lot of it this year since it's been a rough year financially. I'm overwhelmed trying to come up with enough meals. Help me figure out some meals! Please?

I have flour, oil and yeast so I'll bake bread. I do have dehydrated potatoes (buds for mashed, along with slices and shreds). I have oats and farina for cooked breakfast cereals. I also have some dried fruits so I'll make granola. I have some canned veggies, canned and dried beans and some canned tomato products. I have some canned soups, some boxes of mac and cheese. Almost no meat but I do have a little hamburger, chicken and fish in the freezer. A few oranges. Some canned fruit. Frozen spinach (a lot actually).

These are things I know I can make:
Bread and rolls
Veggie soup
Chili
Bean soup
Shepherd's pie
Spaghetti
Black bean burritos

Other ideas??

oregongirlie's Avatar oregongirlie 05:53 PM 01-09-2007
That's more food than I've ever had in the house! As long as there's enough, you should be ok.
fek&fuzz's Avatar fek&fuzz 06:00 PM 01-09-2007
You could add the meat/chicken to the macaroni and cheese, along with some spinach to stretch those out and make yummy full meals.

Fruits can go into the breakfast cereal.

Add frozen spinach to almost anything.
Mamatohaleybug's Avatar Mamatohaleybug 06:31 PM 01-09-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregongirlie View Post
That's more food than I've ever had in the house! As long as there's enough, you should be ok.
To clarify: My problem is that I'm missing most/many of the ingredients I would use to make the meals I usually do (no fresh fruits and veggies except for a handful of oranges, no butter or margarine, no cheese, no eggs, etc). I just don't know how many meals of plain oatmeal we can stand in a row. I'm not worried about starving - just making the meals more pleasant. Now I feel like a spoiled brat and that wasn't how I meant for this to come across. I'm looking for interesting ideas with the basics that I have on hand.
saratc's Avatar saratc 06:57 PM 01-09-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamatohaleybug View Post
Now I feel like a spoiled brat and that wasn't how I meant for this to come across. I'm looking for interesting ideas with the basics that I have on hand.

Awe, no one thinks you're spoiled. At least that's not how I read your post or pp's reply.

Do you have any cream soups? Like cream of mushroom or chicken, etc? If so, you can make a sauce by leaving it condensed and adding bits of chicken or veggies to it and serve over the mashed potatoes and/or bread for open faced hot sandwiches. You can also use cream soups and put bits of beef in it (if there's any left after chile) and serve over farina or toast for breakfast. If you don't have cream soups, you can also turn your regular canned soups into stews by thickening them with flour and adding bits of fresh ingredients to spike them up.

Potatoe shreds can be turned into potatoe pancakes or hash browns to be eaten with any meal. If you can get milk, make baked oatmeal for variety from regular oatmeal.
Fairy4tmama's Avatar Fairy4tmama 10:20 PM 01-09-2007
Mamatohaleybug, I have spent the better part of the last 6 months like this (Thank the Gods we are on the road to financial recovery) here are some of the super cheep things we have been eating.

Pasta with canned tomato's and beans eighther kidney or garbanzo

ground meat sauted with onion if possible then do not drain fat instead add a few teaspoons of flour and a can/cup or 2 of broth or water to make a gravey and serve over rice or mashed potatos

Any soup can be streched out by serving over rice.

Tortillas are easy to make and are just flour/shortning and water or Corn masa and water

Beans and rice with (some cumin if you have it) and tortillas

Muffins with the dried fruit and flour

Mac and cheese can be made with just water it ain't great but its doable.

If you have any meat that is on the bone cook it and then save the bones and any sraps and make soup/broth out of it.

I will keep tring to think of some things. Hang in there I know it sucks what got me was having to keep feeding my kids the same thing over and over, me I am a grown up but telling my two and four year old that no there isn't any thing eles SUCKS!

I would look in to any community services near by and see if you can get a food box. Is there a Catholic social services in your area they can refer you and will look at your circumstances not just your income and they don't evangelize so there not gonna make you pray before they'll help you or anything like that.

HTH
leafwood's Avatar leafwood 10:53 PM 01-09-2007
Pancakes are always good (but that probably requires at least one egg). You could do potato pancakes with the shreds and maybe even add some spinach (again probably need at least one egg).

I am a huge soup fan. You can make it more stew like by adding cubes of stale homemade bread. Yum!

You could also use the bread cubes to make "stuffing" with some spices and oil and water. Then mix in some canned veggies and a little meat or beans. You can make gravy from a bullion cube if you have that on hand (or slated water with paprika for color....sounds gross but it tastes fine).

You could probably mash up some canned beans and add potato buds to make some sort of patty that you cold pan fry into a bean burger. Might be good with some tomato sauce as a topper.

If you are sick of the mac and cheese you can use the mac separately and save the cheese packet and add it to mashed potatoes. You bake it and it is a cheesy potato casserole.

That's all I can think of for now! Good luck!
Aeress's Avatar Aeress 11:55 PM 01-09-2007
Do you have boullion? A little oil with some flour/cornstarch and let thicken, add a little broth or boullion and water, a little at a time to make a sauce. you can chicken and veggies and make a very yummy chicken stew. I just made this on friday.

With homemade bread anything is yummy! *laughs* I am bread lover by nature so I can eat a can of beans straight out of the can as long as I have fresh bread.

I know when supplies get low I find it hard to create meals, I always feel like I am missing something. Everyone at mdc helps me stay creative though!
***Heather***'s Avatar ***Heather*** 01:16 AM 01-10-2007
nicolelynn 02:18 AM 01-10-2007
Do you have canned corn? I make a Veggie Chili with canned tomatoes, cooked beans and corn. Add a little fresh or dried garlic, a pinch of italian seasonings, a pinch of chili or cayenne pepper and salt.
lil'mama's Avatar lil'mama 05:46 PM 01-12-2007
Have you checked out www.hillbillyhousewife.com ? She's got some good info on menus for 40$ per week as well as good stuff on using what you have. Sometimes I get ideas from here.
(((hugs)) to you!
Mamatohaleybug's Avatar Mamatohaleybug 06:52 PM 01-12-2007
Thanks everyone!!!

We had the yummiest spicy black beans and rice the other night. It's a new favorite!
ashleyhaugh's Avatar ashleyhaugh 02:19 PM 01-13-2007
i dont know if you have any bbq sauce, or if you can make any, but my mom would cook up a box of mac and cheese- i know margarine in cheaper than milk, and thats what i grew up using, lol, but if you buy the REALLY cheap mac and cheese, it tastes better if you dont use milk and use all margarine, or butter, to make it) and put in in a cassarole dish. brown up some ground beef, mix with some bbq sause, and pour it on top if the mac and cheese. bake for 15 or 20 minutes, and serve hot.... so yummy

another one, if you hav ecream of mushroom soup. brown up some hamburger with some onion if you have it, maybe onion powder if you dont. sprinkle fome flour on top of the meat, put the lid on, and leave it til the flour is goopy (a cheating roux, lol) and some cream of mushroom soup, salt, pepper, garlic salt or powder, and cook til its hot and as thick as you like it, and serve over noodles. my dad always ate his over rice. if it gets too thick (sometimes i out too much flour), just thin it with a little water
Ravin's Avatar Ravin 10:39 PM 01-14-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafwood View Post
Pancakes are always good (but that probably requires at least one egg). You could do potato pancakes with the shreds and maybe even add some spinach (again probably need at least one egg).

I am a huge soup fan. You can make it more stew like by adding cubes of stale homemade bread. Yum!

You could also use the bread cubes to make "stuffing" with some spices and oil and water. Then mix in some canned veggies and a little meat or beans. You can make gravy from a bullion cube if you have that on hand (or slated water with paprika for color....sounds gross but it tastes fine).

You could probably mash up some canned beans and add potato buds to make some sort of patty that you cold pan fry into a bean burger. Might be good with some tomato sauce as a topper.

If you are sick of the mac and cheese you can use the mac separately and save the cheese packet and add it to mashed potatoes. You bake it and it is a cheesy potato casserole.

That's all I can think of for now! Good luck!
All you absolutely have to have for pancakes is flour, water, fat, and baking powder. I don't use egg in them because DD is allergic, and we often eat them for breakfast when broke.

Applesauce makes a cheap topping, so does peanut butter (and you can save butter/margarine for cooking) or you can put jam or honey or syrup on them.

My basic recipe (enough for 2 people): 1 c flour, 1 c water or milk, 1 tbsp baking powder OR 1 tsp baking powder and 1 tsp baking soda. Fruit juice can be substituted for 1/4 of the water/milk to sweeten, or you can just keep sweet stuff on top; a pinch of salt, up to 1/4 c. oats or something like that; fruit if desired, 1 tbsp. fat (oil, butter, whatever).

the trick to cooking them w/ no egg in is to cover the pan.
onlyzombiecat's Avatar onlyzombiecat 07:17 PM 01-22-2007
Fry Bread?
A pot pie?
You might find some recipes here that use things you have-
http://www.y2kkitchen.com/html/recipes.html

You can enter what you have in this site and find recipes-
http://www.snacksby.com/
beka1977's Avatar beka1977 11:14 PM 01-22-2007
Can you post the bean recipe???
Mamatohaleybug's Avatar Mamatohaleybug 01:15 AM 01-23-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by beka1977 View Post
Can you post the bean recipe???
Mine?
Eaglevoice's Avatar Eaglevoice 09:18 PM 01-23-2007
I just made a really yummy potato soup. Just potatoes, celery, carrots, onion, barely covered with water, boil until veg are soft enough, then add cream cheese (we used a half a package) and some salt and pepper. That's it. It's delicious. The second time we made it we put a little shredded cheese in it to make it a little cheesier. That was good too.
wife&mommy's Avatar wife&mommy 11:04 PM 01-23-2007
Sounds like you have lots of good stuff there, I think you guys will do fine! I am not good at making meals from ingredients though, I do it the other way around! LOL I'm sorry.
nonniecita's Avatar nonniecita 05:35 PM 01-26-2007
These scones are sooooooo yummy. I used pumpkin seeds instead of walnuts and water instead of rice milk...(you can try lots of substitutions)
I'm craving them now, gonna make them today!

http://www.care2.com/channels/solutions/food/3194

Currant Griddle Scones
Adapted from Vegetarian Soups for All Seasons, by Nava Atlas (Amberwood Press, 2006).

Simple Solution
This vegan version of a traditional recipe bakes on the stove rather than in the oven, yielding a luscious batch of tender scones studded with currants--and they're only 204 calories each! Here is the recipe for currant griddle scones--and another: our favorite Baked Apple Pancake.

INGREDIENTS

1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup natural granulated sugar
1/4 cup no hydrogenated margarine, softened
1/4 cup rice milk, or as needed
2/3 cup dried currants
1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts

1. In a mixing bowl, combine the first 4 (dry) ingredients. Work the margarine into the flour with a pastry blender or the tines of a fork until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.

2. Add enough rice milk to hold the dough together, working it together with your hands, then turn the dough out onto a well-floured board and knead briefly.

3. Form the dough into a ball, then roll out to a thickness of about 1/4inch. Cut the dough into 2-inch rounds with a cookie cutter or the open end of a round glass. Gather up any remaining dough, roll out, and cut until all the dough has been used up.

4. Heat a nonstick skillet or griddle that has been sprayed with cooking oil spray. Cook the scones over medium heat or until golden brown on both sides. Cool on a rack and serve warm.

Makes 8.
peilover010202's Avatar peilover010202 07:25 PM 01-26-2007
I like to make a soup with white beans, black beans, 3 potatoes, chicken broth (I usually add garlic and onion too), spinach or kale, and leftover chicken/turkey. Sometimes I add in orzo to stretch the meal even further. sounds like you would have most of the ingredients needed to make this soup. It's yummy too!
mama4gals's Avatar mama4gals 02:26 PM 01-30-2007
Quote:
Mine?
I'd love the bean recipe--please post!

Liz
Mamatohaleybug's Avatar Mamatohaleybug 02:36 PM 01-30-2007
I don't have a recipe but this is the basic idea:

I soaked some dried black beans overnight and then rinsed and cooked them the next morning on my stovetop. After they were soft I pulled out 8 cups to freeze for later. To the remainder I added salt, pepper, onion, bell pepper, garlic, cumin, chili powder and Tabasco sauce and cooked them for another hour or so on low. Right before I served them over rice I added a little dried cilantro.

I just added the spices until it tasted yummy to me.

They were DELICIOUS! My 4 year old couldn't get enough of them!

They would also be great pureed into a black bean soup.
mama4gals's Avatar mama4gals 04:35 PM 01-30-2007
Quote:
I don't have a recipe but this is the basic idea:

I soaked some dried black beans overnight and then rinsed and cooked them the next morning on my stovetop. After they were soft I pulled out 8 cups to freeze for later. To the remainder I added salt, pepper, onion, bell pepper, garlic, cumin, chili powder and Tabasco sauce and cooked them for another hour or so on low. Right before I served them over rice I added a little dried cilantro.

I just added the spices until it tasted yummy to me.

They were DELICIOUS! My 4 year old couldn't get enough of them!

They would also be great pureed into a black bean soup.
Sounds great, thanks!

Liz
kroonkles's Avatar kroonkles 04:39 PM 02-07-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonniecita View Post
These scones are sooooooo yummy. I used pumpkin seeds instead of walnuts and water instead of rice milk...(you can try lots of substitutions)
I'm craving them now, gonna make them today!

http://www.care2.com/channels/solutions/food/3194
thanks for the recipe and I really like that website!
kathirynne's Avatar kathirynne 04:52 PM 02-07-2007
If you have eggs, you can make spinach quiche. I have a recipe I'll post if you want it.
Momma2DoubleCuties's Avatar Momma2DoubleCuties 01:59 PM 02-10-2007
I also suggest contacting a food bank or something of the same sorts and get a box of food.

Your beans sounds great!!

Heres to a better financial future. Good luck momma!
425lisamarie's Avatar 425lisamarie 02:05 PM 02-20-2007
Make some homemade bread. It's really hardy and you can almost eat it out of the oven for a meal!
Momma2DoubleCuties's Avatar Momma2DoubleCuties 07:15 PM 02-20-2007
How'd you guys end up doing?
Mamatohaleybug's Avatar Mamatohaleybug 11:10 PM 02-20-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma2DoubleCuties View Post
How'd you guys end up doing?

Fine. Thanks for asking. My mom bought us a few staples (like milk) and we actually got by for almost a week longer than initially thought. And we really didn't eat too poorly.

I'm using a lot of the suggestions for everyday meals so I really appreciate all of the ideas!
1 2 

Up