meal plannig on a budget. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 01-10-2007, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
so i need to hve a good meal plan and grocery list for my dh and i. i am nursing 15 week old dd. i am the only one eating breakfast and lunch during the week. dinner for 2 every night. bf and lunch for 2 on weekends. that is what i have to plan for and my budget is $285 for the month. i have no idea where to begin.
can anyone help me. dh and i want to start eating more healthy. dh wants to lose some weith and i want to make sure i am giving dd everything she needs. i am a very picky eater and i tend to eat a lot of beans rice tortialls and chicken. i was raised with a mex daddy who loved to cook. lol.
dh and i r not into the whole tofu thing. we dont have a whole foods. the only store we have is wal-mart, winn-dixie, publix and harveys. i prefer walmart.

Trying to with SO my dd3 my ds 2 dss 7 dss 8 and 2 chinese creasted's
#2 of 19 Old 01-11-2007, 01:22 PM

Harvey's!! It's been so long since I have been to a Harvey's. My great-grandmother used to take us there shopping when we were visiting in deep southwest Georgia. Such good memories (and the best raw peanuts around to boil!) But I digress....

There are a couple of great threads on here about meal planning, so I won't go into all that. I also find that you have to figure out what works for you. Shopping monthly, shopping weekly, a big shop monthly with weekly dairy/produce. You get the idea.

I like to try to figure out meals that complement each other. like this week, I have a white bean stew and gumbo on the menu. They each use half a pound of smoked sausage, so that's a whole package right there. No waste.

For breakfasts, I eat the same thing usually, so I make sure I have stuff for those.. Oatmeal, bread and eggs, grits and eggs, sausage and/or bacon for the weekends. I don't plan them, just make whatever sounds good in the morning.

For lunch, I almost always eat leftovers. But, for those times where there are no leftovers, I have a running list of what I have in the pantry/freezer. I freeze soups in one serving containers, I almost always have stuff for chicken salad, quesadillas, a simple tomato soup, beans and rice, mac and cheese. That's my lunch every day, and our lunch on the weekends.

For me, I try to make Sundays a little more restful. We have an easy breakfast (oatmeal or the like), then a later, pretty big lunch (this is the time for a big roast in our house), then supper is leftovers or Ramen or popcorn or whatever. It gives me a much needed night off, which helps with my sanity. I used to not cook on Friday nights, but then the baby came, and going out to eat isn't as much fun as it once was.
#3 of 19 Old 01-12-2007, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraBravo View Post
so i need to hve a good meal plan and grocery list for my dh and i. i am nursing 15 week old dd. i am the only one eating breakfast and lunch during the week. dinner for 2 every night. bf and lunch for 2 on weekends. that is what i have to plan for and my budget is $285 for the month. i have no idea where to begin.
can anyone help me. dh and i want to start eating more healthy. dh wants to lose some weith and i want to make sure i am giving dd everything she needs. i am a very picky eater and i tend to eat a lot of beans rice tortialls and chicken. i was raised with a mex daddy who loved to cook. lol.
dh and i r not into the whole tofu thing. we dont have a whole foods. the only store we have is wal-mart, winn-dixie, publix and harveys. i prefer walmart.
Have you tried doing some searches or looking in the frugality posts? That might help some too!

Mama to (DS 7) and (DD 5), wife to DH

#4 of 19 Old 01-12-2007, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

i know this is going to make me sound stupid but i can't find the frugality forum

Trying to with SO my dd3 my ds 2 dss 7 dss 8 and 2 chinese creasted's
#5 of 19 Old 01-12-2007, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraBravo View Post
i know this is going to make me sound stupid but i can't find the frugality forum
It doesn't sound stupid. Go to the main forums then to Mindful Home Management and then its Frugality and Finances I think its called. Here is the link for now but that's how to get there next time.
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...play.php?f=312

#6 of 19 Old 01-12-2007, 04:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hmmm, $285 for the month....

Make enough dinner each night for you to have left overs for lunch the next day... Take the following menu times 4 or 5 depending on how many weeks you need. Make sure to save even the teensiest amounts of left overs in the freezer for soup the 7th day.

Dinners:

day one: 15bean soup (15 bean soup mix, a ham hock, carrots and celery)
This would be enough for two dinners or several lunches.

day two: Scrambled eggs, fried potatoes or hashbrowns, toast and orange wedges.

day three: spaghetti with sauce (if you choose to use meat just use enough to flavor the sauce) This is also great for leftovers for lunch.

day four: Ground Turkey meatloaf, mashed potatoes, a veggie like green beans (frozen veggies are very economical). Have meat loaf sandwiches for lunch the next day.

day five: cooked black beans or pinto beans with cheese on tortillas. If it's in the budget (I don't know prices at your local store) have some tomatoes or other veggies with this. This is great for lunches as well.

day six: Roast a whole chicken if you can find one on sale, otherwise get what ever parts are cheapest. Save the leftovers for soup tomorrow. Serve with veggies and rice.

day seven: Soup made from left over meats and veggies. If you have left over spaghetti sauce it'd be delicious added to your soup as well. When the soup is almost done cooking add what ever pasta you found on sale.

Breakfasts:

Oatmeal oatmeal oatmeal it's ultra cheap and supper good for you.

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :
#7 of 19 Old 01-12-2007, 04:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Your shopping list would be this for the month....

4 pkgs 15 bean soup mix
4 hamhocks
1 small bag of carrots
1 large bunch of celery

2 doz eggs

1 lbs hamburger divided 4 ways for spaghetti sauce
8 cans tomato sauce
2 large or 4 small pkgs spaghetti noodles

4 lbs ground turkey
I box saltines (or you can use oatmeal instead for the meatloaf)
4 cans tomato paste

2 small bags or 1 large of beans (pinto or black)
tortillas for the month
1 2lb block of cheese

4 whole chickens
cheap pasta for soups

Get 4 large bags of what ever frozen veggies are on sale
4 to 6 loaves of bread.

3 large boxes of oatmeal.
10lbs potatoes
large bag of rice

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :
#8 of 19 Old 01-14-2007, 05:53 PM

oh have you tried Hillbilly Housewife?

#9 of 19 Old 01-14-2007, 05:53 PM

aghhh forgot the link... www.hillbillyhousewife.com

#10 of 19 Old 01-14-2007, 06:45 PM

I've discovered the cheapest way for us to cook is to plan for an entire month at a time, that way you can plan meals to use up all your ingredients. Every little bit is used up by the end of the month, no waste. Kind of hard to say what to cook. Hillbillyhousewife has some cheap stuff that I would use for a few meals, then I'd do some "fancier" meals mixed in throughout the month, it worked out great and we spent about $60 a week total.

You just need to plan to cook everything from scratch, so get some flour, cornmeal, dry beans, cheap stuff like that, and plan different meals that will use up all the flour, etc, by the end of the month. A good cookbook for this is "more with less cookbook".

Single mom of 2 boys
#11 of 19 Old 01-15-2007, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benji'sMom View Post
I've discovered the cheapest way for us to cook is to plan for an entire month at a time, that way you can plan meals to use up all your ingredients. Every little bit is used up by the end of the month, no waste. Kind of hard to say what to cook. Hillbillyhousewife has some cheap stuff that I would use for a few meals, then I'd do some "fancier" meals mixed in throughout the month, it worked out great and we spent about $60 a week total.

You just need to plan to cook everything from scratch, so get some flour, cornmeal, dry beans, cheap stuff like that, and plan different meals that will use up all the flour, etc, by the end of the month. A good cookbook for this is "more with less cookbook".
Would you mind posting a sample of a month?

#12 of 19 Old 01-15-2007, 12:16 AM

I feed 7 for about $100/week.

We eat a lot of oatmeal (as has already been suggested). Also, top ramen is NOT all the healthy for you (because of the high salt content) but I think when you skip or use less of the flavor packet, the salt content would go WAY down.. I love sticking leftover veggies, or a cut up left over chicken thigh in the ramen noodles.. it is a super quick noodle soup that really costs about 10 cents on sale..

I am not really BIG on planning for the month.. I use a different system. My kids all know to gather coupons for me, plus, where I live, we have safeway, and they have computerized coupons (slide a coupon card- don't know if they have those near you)... I also shop at Fred meyer's and have found lots of discounted lunch meat, bread, etc on the clearance shelf in the WEE hours of the morning that are GREAT. Just this week, i bought a basket of biscuits that were originally priced at 8.99 for 2.99. Someone had special ordered them, and then didn't pick them up. I also found bags of nuts for 99 cents.

I never buy sale items that I wouldn't use, though. My dh and I shop together (all the kids are in two carts), and a few times I have bought 1.5 carts of food for about $30. (although my grocery bills usually run a bit higher than that).

I would like to buy more organic foods in the future, but for now, I am saving for a house and it isn't a priority as long as the boys all get fruits and veggies that is my priority.

I buy shelf stable foods whenever I find them on sale, and I have a pantry so I don't have a BIG storage issue. If I find pizza sauce cans on sale, i will buy all I am allowed, becuase I know my boys will eat pizza.. items that need refrigerating I MAY stock up on if I can freeze them otherwise, I need to be able to use it up within a few days.
#13 of 19 Old 01-15-2007, 01:43 AM

Check out Recipes and Tips for Healthy, Thrifty Meals distributed by the US Dept of Agriculture's Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion. It provides recipe ideas for the week and grocery needs lists.

-L

I like it and sometimes I tweak them with organic options... well actually, I usually do that...

Mom to 7-year old DS1 carrot.gif, 2 year old DD joy.gifand DS2 surf.gif

#14 of 19 Old 01-15-2007, 09:38 AM

OT: Alaskanteach, I have to ask, since you said you hope the boys get enough fruits and veggies...are all 5 of your kids boys??

Jude
#15 of 19 Old 01-15-2007, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judegirl View Post
OT: Alaskanteach, I have to ask, since you said you hope the boys get enough fruits and veggies...are all 5 of your kids boys??
I had 3 boys... then we decided to adopt... found out THAT baby was a boy... then we found out we were expecting... a boy.

So, yep.
#16 of 19 Old 01-15-2007, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wife&mommy View Post
Would you mind posting a sample of a month?
I think I actually have 2 on my home computer but unfortunately it's totally fried and at the repair shop. I can think of some things, like buying a chicken and making something like chicken soup with the bones and only a little meat, load the soup up with veggies and potatoes. Freeze the leftover meat and make something else with it the next week, like quesadillas, and maybe the next week chicken spaghetti. And those potatoes should be in a big bag of potatoes, any type will do, so you could use the rest to have chicken and mashed potatoes one week, a shepard's pie the next week, homemade french fries the next week, etc.

Buy cornmeal and make chili and cornbread, then the next week make some corn fritters (hillbillyhousewife has a recipe) and the next week make your own corn tortillas or taco shells or something. I think hillbillyhousewife describes how to make tortillas too. Instead of making chili and tacos with 1 lb ground beef, use 1/2 lb gb and 1/2 lb beans for each, so you can make both dishes with 1lb of meat. Beans are less than $1/lb whereas ground beef can be over $3/lb. Hillbillyhousewife has a whole section on bean dishes: http://hillbillyhousewife.com/beanrecipes.htm

Buy a bunch of eggs, cheap!, and make omlettes, quiches, scrambled eggs and pancakes. Remember you bought all that flour, so use it to make the pancakes, buiscuits, bread, etc. Don't be afraid to eat breakfast foods for dinner every now and then.

Buy cheese in a big block, that's cheaper than buying slices or shredded cheese, you can slice and shred it yourself.

And I'd also plan a special snack once a week, like homemade cookies or something, which stopped me from buying sweets on impulse.

Basically you buy a lot of something, like a big bag of potatoes instead of just 1 or 2 potatoes at a time, and think of ways to use up the whole bag by the end of the month.

Single mom of 2 boys
#17 of 19 Old 01-15-2007, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJ's Momma View Post
Check out Recipes and Tips for Healthy, Thrifty Meals distributed by the US Dept of Agriculture's Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion. It provides recipe ideas for the week and grocery needs lists.
I can't get it to work.. is there a linky that isn't broken? I went to their site, but everytime I think I have found it I end up on a broken page..
#18 of 19 Old 01-15-2007, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskanteach View Post
I can't get it to work.. is there a linky that isn't broken? I went to their site, but everytime I think I have found it I end up on a broken page..
http://www.pueblo.gsa.gov/cic_text/f...ty/recipes.htm

Single mom of 2 boys
#19 of 19 Old 10-14-2007, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskanteach View Post
I feel so silly for just finding this post and deciding to respond. It isn't a link, I underlined the title. Check out Barnes & Noble or contact the WIC office. You could also contact a Food Bank in your area. I got my copy when I taught a CPS parenting class on nutrition.

Mom to 7-year old DS1 carrot.gif, 2 year old DD joy.gifand DS2 surf.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page