I'm veg, partner is meat and potatoes and I'm running out of ideas - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 01-24-2007, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
: The title just about says it all, if you have any suggestions for meal planning they would be greatly appreciated!
#2 of 4 Old 01-24-2007, 02:33 PM

I don't know how well this would go over in your household, but in my home this is what we do. I am newly vegan and dh is omni. For a long time I would make piggy back type meals, but it just wasn't working for me to plan a meat and potatoes kind of meal and then find a veg*n substitute for whatever meat dh was having. I was eating a fair amount of processed foods, and much more dairy than was good for me. So shortly after my baby was born I started planning complete vegetarian meals. I allocated a part of our grocery budget for dh to use to get whatever meat or dairy products he might want. If you wants to eat it he can prepare it.

To be honest at first dh was kind of grumpy about it. I kind of expected that, because not only is he kind of picky in general and really resistant to the idea of "hippy rabbit food", but he is also very resistant to anyone telling him what to do - I am sure he viewed my actions as a passive attempt to get him stop eating meat. While I would be thrilled if he decided to completely cut out animal foods, the change was mainly for my benefit. Being pregnant, and then nursing made me much more aware of the nutrients missing from my diet. I was very clear that although my main reasons for not eating meat are ethical and environmental - reasons that he understands, respects, and to some level agrees with - I had to be healthy too, especially when the baby's health was dependent on me being well nourished. And I told him that, and that seemed to help.

Anyway, at this point dh is only eating meat a couple times a week, and he is happily eating legumes and all manner of whole grains and veggies.

treehugger.gif homemaker mama to jumpers.gif and stork-boy.gif due in March

#3 of 4 Old 01-24-2007, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, that was really helpful. It's hard without breaking the budget to make sure we're both happy but I'm nursing as well and need to be careful. I just cut out dairy recently again so it's even harder to plan meals. Surprisingly, most of the time he goes along with whatever I'm making but I can tell when he needs a steak because he gets a little grumpy and starts making comments. I've tried but it doesn't work for us to make him cook his own meat separately because by the time he gets home from work, I have to have dinner going or else we wouldn't eat until 7 or 8 which is kind of late for us in the winter. With a 6 month old, the earlier I get to bed means the more sleep I get because she's up no matter what in the am.
#4 of 4 Old 01-24-2007, 03:10 PM

What if you just add a chicken breast to whatever you're making. Chicken and lentils, chicken and beans, chicken and spagetti sauce. While he'll undoubtably get sick of eating chicken, its easy.

That's how I got my STBX eating beans (actually, it happened in Cuba where a standard meal is chicken, rice, beans and fried banana and cabbage salad). He loved it and after that would eat the beans I had been making for eons!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page