Planning week of meals around CSA boxes - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 68 Old 01-25-2007, 01:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey, i was thinking maybe we could do a thread of weekly meals centered around our csa boxes, anyone else game? I will start tomarrow, when we get our box, and think of a week of meals based on what we are getting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 68 Old 01-31-2007, 05:37 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Sounds like fun, but we don't start till may!

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

#3 of 68 Old 02-10-2007, 01:09 PM

Wow you are lucky! Our CSA basket didn't ever start until June!

Aimee Blessed Momma to 4 amazing boys, P ~ 9 H ~ 7 J ~ 4 and B ~ 1.  Happily married to D Living my almost dream life on an urban homestead, hoping for our forever land to find us soon!

#4 of 68 Old 02-11-2007, 10:54 AM

Ours doesn't start until June either - I'm debating whether to join, or to just keep buying at the co-op and the farmer's market when that gets going. Aside from price saving - what are the advantages? (and what if I get a boatload of some veggie that no one likes?? )

Mama to DS (8) and DD (7) Aristotle was not Belgian. The central message of Buddhism is not "Every man for himself." And the London Underground is not a political movement.

#5 of 68 Old 02-12-2007, 04:27 PM

I don't get a CSA box in the winter, but if you post a list of what you are getting, I would post recipes. All of us non-CSAers can live through you.

Blogging at http://chronicladybug.blogspot.com

#6 of 68 Old 02-15-2007, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

lol, ty for the responses :P i can't wait till everyone else is getting thier boxes too!
this week (today) we are getting

Carrots
Red Radishes
Yukon Gold Potatoes
Hass Avocados
Jonagold Apples
Kiwi
Yellow Onions
D'anjou Red Pears
Jewel Yams
Jonagold Apples
Green Bell Peppers
D'anjou Red Pears
Red Leaf Lettuce
apples and pears are listed twice becuz i swapped them for two of teh other items, i think one of them was thyme, i can't remember what the other two were (the jewel yams are from swapping one other item too). So its a pretty basic week, no overly interesting items :P lol, but sometimes they are wierd things like celery root or collard greens (probably not wierd to some of you lol, but new to me ).
#7 of 68 Old 02-15-2007, 06:34 PM

Yesterday, Rachael Ray had a recipe that looked good on her show. Little toasts with a mixture of caramelized apples nad onions on top. Drizzle with a little reduced balsamic vinegar (until syrupy), then topped with pine nuts. We never have pine nuts, so I'd probably sub walnuts. I'm going to try it soon.
#8 of 68 Old 02-15-2007, 06:49 PM

I like baked yams with carmelized onions on top (and maybe sour cream, cheese, or yogurt on top of that if you are so inclined).

if you do meat, you could make a nice beef stew with those carrots, onions, and potatoes.

or you could saute the onions, carrots, and potatoes until the potatoes are cooked most of the way. Then add chopped tomatoes and maybe peppers. then add a cup of stock. bring the stock to a boil and then add a cup of couscous. cover tightly and turn off the heat. let sit for 15 minutes and then eat.

also, you could do baked pears or apples.

Blogging at http://chronicladybug.blogspot.com

#9 of 68 Old 02-15-2007, 07:38 PM

It certainly wouldn't use a lot of the fabulous sounding produce you received, but I would make my favorite salad: red leaf lettuce with those divine pears (and probably apples, too) and some goat cheese. Topped with balsamic and a tiny bit of oil and a ton of black pepper.

I can't wait for CSA season to start. Sigh.
#10 of 68 Old 02-16-2007, 05:48 PM

I dont get mine until May.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#11 of 68 Old 03-05-2007, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStateMama View Post
Ours doesn't start until June either - I'm debating whether to join, or to just keep buying at the co-op and the farmer's market when that gets going. Aside from price saving - what are the advantages? (and what if I get a boatload of some veggie that no one likes?? )
We don't start until June either. We did it for the first time last summer. The advantages for me are:
- It got us to try tons of things I wouldn't normally have bought. I had no idea what to do with turnips... turns out they're good shredded in a salad. Same with bok choi and several other items. With a little help from the Internet I was able to find tasty ways to prepare everything.
- It got us eating a lot more veggies. Having them already in the fridge meant I had to use them or I'd be wasting $$.
- The veggies were super-fresh. I don't usually get to the farmer's market so these were way better then what I could get at the grocery store.

Mom to (5) (9)
#12 of 68 Old 03-05-2007, 08:40 PM

I am sure it is very obvious but what are CSAs?????
#13 of 68 Old 03-09-2007, 06:19 PM

haha, no it's not obvious....to me anyway. i had to google it:

"CSA is the acronym for Community Supported Agriculture, a grass roots movement to bring consumers into a closer relationship to their food production. Become a member of our CSA program to receive a weekly food box full of delicious, seasonal produce."

this was a quote from a community supported agriculture website. sounds awesome, huh????

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

#14 of 68 Old 03-09-2007, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtenay_e View Post
Sounds like fun, but we don't start till may!
Same here.

Mama to three small people; wife to one big person; pet-person to cats and dogs..."Be the change you want to see in the world"-- Gandhi
#15 of 68 Old 03-09-2007, 11:17 PM

Boy, I didn't really think about how lucky I am here in CA - my CSA is year-round! The lettuce, carrots, radishes, peppers, avocados onions and maybe some pears or kiwi would make a fabulous salad...could even be a main dish with a side of mashed or baked potatoes? You could also mash a mixture of potatoes and yams. If you want to stretch things out over the week you could make a number of salads of different combos too.

Here's a quick, yummy way I use apples and/or pears for dessert:
Chop fruit and saute in coconut oil or butter until soft and brown.
Dish up and serve topped with shredded coconut and fresh cream.
It is super-good!

So, tomorrow we're getting the following and I'd love to get some ideas too:
Carrots
Leeks
Salad Mix
Potatoes
Mandarins
Red Russian Kale
Celery

We're officially TTC!!!

I blog about traditional foods, nurturing creativity, keeping a simple home, and the elements of crafting a meaningful life at www.maggiesnest.org.
#16 of 68 Old 03-10-2007, 01:55 AM

June here too And we don't get all the fabulous fruits that you do, but I won't complain as I love my CSA! :
#17 of 68 Old 03-13-2007, 01:24 AM

Our CSA will also start in June and this will be our first time, so I'll be sure to check this thread as the time draws closer. I want to make sure we're making the most of our share.

I'm hoping to keep it going year-round, but wasn't able to join the spring share this year because it was only open to current members. It's so hard for me to be patient when I get excited about doing something new.

Can't wait for June!
#18 of 68 Old 03-13-2007, 05:34 PM

We start in May too and I have such a hard time meal planning with my CSA. We pick up one basket Monday evening, another (we're in two CSA's) on Wednesday afternoon and I do my grocery shopping on Saturday mornings. I can't change any of these - the pick up locations are at the farms which is not where our food coop is. How do you plan that way? It's really frustrating. I want the CSA to save us money and when I can't meal plan that doesn't happen!
#19 of 68 Old 03-21-2007, 11:48 AM

My CSA is year round too--definitely something I'm going to miss if/when we leave California! We do grocery-shopping every two weeks or so to buy staples, dairy, pasta, that kind of thing; then I combine our vegetables and fruit with whatever we've got to come up with meals. The cookbook Vegetable Love by Barbara Kafka is great--there's a section for every vegetable.

My problem lately has been that we've been getting "winter" type vegetables, understandably, but our weather has been really warm and summery! I took advantage of a cold rainy day yesterday to make vegetable soup and use up a lot of different things.

We also don't eat nearly enough salad... salad mix is what we probably end up wasting or giving away the most often. In the summer, there's no way we could eat all the melon they send!

I was talking to my sister in Seattle a couple of days ago while unloading my box. "Meyer lemons again? What am I going to do with all of these?" She about fainted.

My favorite thing is the organic, heirloom potatoes--SO much flavor and color! Russet potatoes from the supermarket don't do it anymore; I'm spoiled. A winter CSA dish I make a lot: saute leeks and cabbage until very soft, boil potatoes with two cloves of garlic and mash them (adding salt, pepper, and slightly less butter than usual), then mix it all together.

Also love braised chard on polenta.

We're having our first asparagus tonight! I can't wait.
#20 of 68 Old 03-26-2007, 07:30 PM

This week, among other things, we got red potatoes, asparagus, leeks, and green garlic in our CSA box. I chopped the potatoes and parboiled them, did the same to the asparagus, sauteed the leeks and garlic, added the half-cooked potatoes and asparagus, threw in a tablespoon of dill, and cooked the whole business for another fifteen minutes. Delicious, flavorful, organic goodness! I love it when I can make a whole meal with nothing but the box (well, the salt, pepper, olive oil, and dill I already had).

Need to do something with cauliflower tonight. We have a LOT of cauliflower.
#21 of 68 Old 03-27-2007, 07:21 AM

One of my favorite things to do with cauliflower is to make a pasta dish with it. I steam the cauliflower (or if I'm lazy or in a big hurry, I throw it in with the pasta), boil some bowtie or ziti type pasta, toss it in a big bowl with shredded gruyere cheese, a bit of mustard, some butter, and some bread crumbs crisped in olive oil. If I'm really energetic, I'll caramelize some onions to go in too. MMM....can't wait for CSA season!
#22 of 68 Old 03-27-2007, 07:49 PM

I am just starting a CSA this year i am so so so so excited. I love the farmers that are doing it <i have bought stuff from them at the Farmers Market for the last 3 or 4 years> and I am so down with the whole recipe sharing. I am new to most of the stuff that i will be getting but i really and trying hard to eat healthier and i think this will help out alot. It is only 200 for a half share and it is only me and my DP and my 3yo so i think it should be enough. Yeah, i would love to once it starts.
#23 of 68 Old 03-28-2007, 11:26 PM

Herbangirl: I would make minestrone with that list: potatoes, carrots, celery, leeks (right?), and kale. I love kale in minestrone. Just add broth, whatever bean you have on hand, garlic, thyme and pasta if you want. I freeze half (before I add pasta) and make it a few weeks later.
#24 of 68 Old 03-29-2007, 10:45 AM

Our CSA doesn't start till June either, so please keep this thread going!
#25 of 68 Old 03-30-2007, 11:46 PM

June here too. But I'm subbing! Can't wait to share and learn here. Last two years I got a lot of stuff I didn't know what to do with.
#26 of 68 Old 04-02-2007, 10:47 AM

June's so far away! Makes me want to move to CA . We have a new CSA and I'm soo excited because it comes with homemade organic goat cheese every week!!
#27 of 68 Old 04-02-2007, 10:56 AM

Another June here. This is our first year in a CSA and I'm definitely feeling some anxiety about using it all! We got a blueberry farm share too with ours - really looking forward to that!
#28 of 68 Old 04-04-2007, 11:54 PM

Yay, I just got our weekly box!

We have:

Asparagus
Carrots
Leeks
Lettuce
Spinach
Radishes
Arugula

Any ideas for the leeks? (I can't make creamy potato/leek soup because I'm off dairy for dd).

Happily parenting our snuggly wild child since 2007 and her little brother since 2011!

#29 of 68 Old 04-05-2007, 12:19 AM

To clean the leeks, cut them lengthwise and you can rinse the sand off. They usually have some sand in the middle.

Recipe:

Cut the long halves in 1/2 inch thick pieces and sautee in plenty of olive oil. Don't skimp on the oil.

Boil some whole wheat pasta. Drain and dump into the skillet with the sauteed leeks. Toss and re-heat. Put on plates and cover the top with finely chopped walnuts.

Or you can use leeks in any soup you make. I love them in soup.

Use leeks instead of onions for anything. Great on pizza.
#30 of 68 Old 04-05-2007, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meggles View Post
Any ideas for the leeks? (I can't make creamy potato/leek soup because I'm off dairy for dd).
If you use soy, I find that silken tofu makes a great base for cream soups. And creamy potato leek soup is SOOOOOOOOOOoo yummy!

4 kids under 10

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page