"Mise en Place" do YOU cook like they do on TV? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-30-2007, 02:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mise en Place is french for preparing all of your ingredients before you start cooking a recipe, I think it means "everything in its place" or something...but it's how they cook on cooking shows, when you see them with like twelve little bowls and they already have everything premeasured and precut or whatever, so when the time comes to add the garlic to the pan of hot oil and onions, for example, you can do it at the perfect moment when the onion is just becoming translucent and not too late because you're still chopping garlic.

anyway... do you cook like this? I've tried it in the past and it's so awesome! First off you are certain you have everything you need before you even start, and secondly it actually saves time! The only tiny drawback is that you then have to wash the twelve little bowls, but usually it's just a quick wipe, 'cause they don't get that dirty...

I'm making it one of my resolutions to cook this way more often, I may even treat myself to a set of those tiny little glass bowls for just this purpose. I swear it makes your meal better too!

6/9/2005 6/30/2007 10/17/2009 (Ebstein's Anomaly)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2007, 02:49 AM

When i'm cooking with kids, i try to do this. but on my own, i'm mpre on the fly.
i agree with you though, it is really easy, if you have the time beforehand...
Old 01-30-2007, 02:59 AM

I love my mise en place cups, but I only use them if: I'm prepping and dh is cooking (extremely rare!), or if I'm making something where things must be added in quick succession like a stir fry. Otherwise, it's really not worth the extra dishes (for me).
Old 01-30-2007, 10:34 AM

sometimes i do, sometimes not. it depends on my mood and how much of a rush im in, lol

*~*Ashley*~* newly single mama to Tristan 10/01/2007
Old 01-30-2007, 12:41 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Yes, but I don't often use the bowls. If it's veggies/onions/garlic, etc, I either dump it on the counter and scoop as I need it, or just leave it all on different parts of the cutting board and use my chef's knife to scrape whatever needs to be in there into the pot/pan. I hate doing dishes, so the fewer dishes the better...I love cooking too much to ruin it with the "aftermath" of a kitchen full of dishes. With baking, I'll have all the spices OUT and the containers open, but not measured into little bowls...I find that with stuff like vanilla, or two drops of almond extract, etc. that I lose more of it than it's worth (I use expensive vanilla!).

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

Old 01-30-2007, 01:37 PM

When my son was a newborn, nothing fun (including cooking) happened between the hours of 5 and 8. I started prepping everything in the morning, so that I could throw it all together as soon as he went to bed. (cutting all the veggies for stir-fry, chopping any accompaniements for soup, etc) I found we could eat in 10-15 minutes from his bedtime this way.

And what a treat! So, now, he is much better in the evenings , but I still prep everything in the morning. It makes cooking a lot more fun.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:48 PM

Not usually. I do always get all ingredients out before I start cooking and I typically chop things ahead of time and leave them all in neat piles on the cutting board next to the stove. Sounds like too many extra dishes to wash!

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

Old 01-30-2007, 05:12 PM

I do. I used to work in a high-end restaurant kitchen (as a prep cook) and it is SO much less stressful to cook if you've got everything already chopped and prepped. Sometimes if I'm cooking something I'm really familiar with I'll prep one stage (like meat and onions for stew) and cook that while I prep the rest of the veg, but mostly I do all my prep in advance and I do use extra bowls if I need to but it's totally worth the extra dishes. Especially since I don't do dishes, dh does... but he cooks the same way so he stopped complaining...

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

Old 01-30-2007, 05:20 PM

It depends on the recipe. If it's something where adding the ingredients at the right time makes a difference, then yes; if it's a roast or something like that, I don't bother. But if I had production assistants who prepped everything and washed up afterward, I would insist on mise en place!

--
Let your life speak. -- George Fox
Old 01-30-2007, 05:24 PM

Mostly, I do. We have an overstocked pantry, and I have to find everything before I get started.

When I'm on the ball, I read the recipe, get out the ingredients, measure them and then cook. It takes more time on the front end, but things aren't burning as I'm trying to find or measure out additional ingredients. Sometimes the recipe will say "while sausage is browning, chop onion and garlic," and I may do it that way.

DH NEVER does this. Drives me batty. He will start cooking and then start hollering "were's the cumin" and "help me find the vanilla." Stresses me out!

Bridget. Momma to DD (4), expecting DS - 9/09, wife to SAHD. Gardener, coffee addict, urban dweller.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:01 PM

One way to do this so you don't have as many dishes is to put all the ingredients added at one time in the recipe in the same bowl.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:40 PM

I do it if the recipe calls for a lot of chopped veg. I chop everything then put it on a plate instead of the bowls. I have 16 ramekins I could use if I felt like doing a ton of dishes but that takes all the fun out of it
Old 01-30-2007, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtenay_e View Post
Yes, but I don't often use the bowls. If it's veggies/onions/garlic, etc, I either dump it on the counter and scoop as I need it, or just leave it all on different parts of the cutting board and use my chef's knife to scrape whatever needs to be in there into the pot/pan. I hate doing dishes, so the fewer dishes the better...I love cooking too much to ruin it with the "aftermath" of a kitchen full of dishes. With baking, I'll have all the spices OUT and the containers open, but not measured into little bowls...I find that with stuff like vanilla, or two drops of almond extract, etc. that I lose more of it than it's worth (I use expensive vanilla!).
Me too
Old 01-30-2007, 10:03 PM

I don't usually pre-measure things like dry ingredients, but I do prefer to take out everything I'll need at the beginning. And I like to get all the chopping done at once. So instead of having, say, 1 tbls baking soda in a little dish, the box will be right there on the counter and all the measuring cups/spoons I need out. Then I put each ingredient away as I use it. Partly to reduce clean-up time after, partly so I know whether I've put in it yet or not.
Old 02-04-2007, 01:36 PM

We do when we have a recipe with many ingredients, but not when it's a simple dish - less than 5 ingredients.

I received little glass bowls as a Christmas gift several years ago from DH.
Old 02-04-2007, 05:54 PM

It depends on whether I'm making something for the first time (especially baking) or if I'm cooking with my dd or if I want to make sure I don't forget anything.
Old 02-04-2007, 05:55 PM

i try to, i dont have bowls out, but i get everything prepared first
Old 02-04-2007, 07:37 PM

I do. I love to cook and make a full, from scratch dinner every night. But my yds usually loses his steam right around the time I like to start cooking. If I don't have everything ready to go, it takes forever with him crying and yanking on my pants and trying to push me away from the stove or counter. When I have everything chopped and measured I can hold him with one arm and add ingredients, stir, etc with the other.

I don't have lots of little bowls - I use ramekins, and I put things that go in at the same time in one bowl together.

treehugger.gif homemaker mama to jumpers.gif and stork-boy.gif due in March

Old 02-09-2007, 04:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Yes, always! I would be : if I didn't!
Old 02-09-2007, 04:38 PM

I don't do the cooking in our home because my husband is a Chef (in training, one more year of school left!)

However, he is a big believer in "Mise en Place". It does mean "everything in its a place or a place for everything". He doesn't prep all his ingredients but definitely has a system for cooking items and cleaning.

Just my .02

Rachael ~ Wife to : DH ~ Son 4-24-07 ~ 6-24-08 ~ Daughter 7-22-09

User Tag List