healthy protein for lunchbox, soy and dairy free? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 01-30-2007, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Looking for healthy soy free and dairy free protein ideas for the lunch box. I am running out of ideas!

I know that different people will differ on what is healthy. I respect vegans but with allergies and a picky child (doesn't like dark beans) that's difficult.

Here's what I've come up with:
egg salad
chicken salad
hummus (chickpea/garbanzo dip)
sliced turkey

I'm concerned about mercury in tuna.

thank you very much!

#######################
Edited to include recommendations I've heard on this thread.

Dips using lighter beans, white, pinto etc. Vary them and serve with crackers/toasted pita/bagel/tortilla or corn chips etc.

Black bean salad with corn/tomatoes/balsamic vinaigrette

roasted/flavored garbanzo beans

a puree of beans and veggies (one example, tomatoes, carrots, onions) with bread/toast

Nut butters (nuts are not allowed in some schools)

whole wheat pasta salad with chunks of chicken

canned salmon (with mayo, like tuna salad)

Drumsticks with wipes for the mess (with ice pack)

Try "specific carbohydrate diet" recipes

hot foods in thermos container: whole wheat pasta, lentil and brown rice stew, baked beans and more

I found ideas for dealing with lunch box foods for the allergic child here: (scroll down to lunch box section)
http://www.allergygrocer.com/id1162.html

Take the time to heal from your marriage before you move on with someone else. Make a list of all the qualities you would like in a new partner and then work on growing that way yourself. ~mandib50
#2 of 13 Old 01-30-2007, 12:24 PM

Dips using the lighter beans--pinto, white, etc. You can vary them and serve them with crackers or toasted pita for dipping, spread them on bagels, send them with tortillas or corn chips, etc.
#3 of 13 Old 01-30-2007, 12:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Can he have any nuts? I know some schools are peanut free though. My kids can't have dairy, eggs, or glutens. So we actually have one of those lunchboxes that come with the ice pack. My kids love drumsticks for lunch. It's a bit messy, but we send them with wipes too.

#4 of 13 Old 01-30-2007, 12:30 PM

You might find some good ideas if you look up specific carbohydrate diet recipes as neither dairy or soy is allowed.
Can your child tolerate nuts?

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#5 of 13 Old 01-30-2007, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, nuts are ok, but everytime I put nuts in the lunch (nut butters etc) I worry about the kids at school because nuts are so dangerous to them.

Take the time to heal from your marriage before you move on with someone else. Make a list of all the qualities you would like in a new partner and then work on growing that way yourself. ~mandib50
#6 of 13 Old 01-30-2007, 12:36 PM

I make a yummy black bean salad with corn and tomatos tossed in a balsamic vinagrette. DD loves it, and I think that it would work just fine with a different bean.

I've also seen recipes for roasted and flavored garbanzo beans, but I've never tried them.

If you buy a thermos food jar, you could also send warm foods, like baked beans, whole wheat pasta, or a lentil and brown rice stew. (I usually save a portion of leftovers from dinner and just heat them up in the morning and pop them in the thermos.)
#7 of 13 Old 01-30-2007, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie Bugs Mama View Post

If you buy a thermos food jar, you could also send warm foods, like baked beans, whole wheat pasta, or a lentil and brown rice stew. (I usually save a portion of leftovers from dinner and just heat them up in the morning and pop them in the thermos.)
Hadn't thought of hot foods like the stew or the drumsticks!

Do whole grains have protein?

#8 of 13 Old 01-30-2007, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by race_kelly View Post
Can he have any nuts? I know some schools are peanut free though. My kids can't have dairy, eggs, or glutens. So we actually have one of those lunchboxes that come with the ice pack. My kids love drumsticks for lunch. It's a bit messy, but we send them with wipes too.

So you pack the drumsticks cold? Or are they hot?

#9 of 13 Old 01-30-2007, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
DD loves pasta salads,we often add cut up chicken. Dips are poupular with her too, I often make quit e a thick puree or beans, onions, carrot and tonato puree and spread it on toast for her. We use the same recipe with more water as a dip.
#10 of 13 Old 01-30-2007, 01:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momtwice View Post
So you pack the drumsticks cold? Or are they hot?

We actually send them cold. I know it's weird, but they prefer them that way, crazy kids! You could probably warm them up and keep them in a similar insulated bag and they should be OK until lunch, or even put them in a thermos.

#11 of 13 Old 01-30-2007, 01:45 PM

At home usually eat veg at lunch, but my DH loves taking canned salmon sandwiches to work. We buy wild alaskan canned salmon for a great price at Trader Joe's and then he makes it up like tuna salad.

The rest of the ideas you have gotten are great, they are alot of what we eat at home. Oh, and the roasted garbanzo beans mentioned are YUMMY. My dd begs for them!

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

#12 of 13 Old 01-31-2007, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momtwice View Post
Hadn't thought of hot foods like the stew or the drumsticks!

Do whole grains have protein?
Don't quote me on this, but I think that grains have "partial" proteins that become "whole" proteins when combined with the protein in beans. It used to be that people thought that you had to eat the grains and the beans at the same time, but the thinking is now that you just have to have a diet that includes them both, even if they aren't eaten together. Of course, it's 4 AM and that's off the top of my head, so take it for what it's worth. :
#13 of 13 Old 05-09-2007, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page