Anybody else with a super-picky husband?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-31-2007, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I really want to start eating healthy and frugally, but I can't figure out HOW with my super-picky husband!

The ONLY veggies he likes are tomatoes, corn, green beans and potatoes.

Doesn't like cheese. (Except processed cheese. So, I always have to make TWO pots of mac-n-cheese: one real, one fake etc.)

Doesn't like rice, oatmeal, grits. Nothing whole-wheat.

Doesn't care for sandwiches (I have no clue what to make for lunch! I'd rather it be something simple, yk?)

Really prefers meat at every meal.

Should I even bother trying to compromise? Or should I just fix seperate meals for everyone? :

(Also, a little OT, but what do I do when DC want what daddy's having? What if they want 'his' processed mac-n-cheese frpm a box, over 'our' whole wheat pasta with real cheese and chopped veggies? If they want to drink soda instead of water?)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2007, 06:40 PM

Yep, that's my DH! I "accomodate" him a little more for suppers, but breakfast and lunches are made MY way! And I do try to get him to try different things, but he is your typical meat and potato man!:

Busy Mama to three beautiful girls and loving wife to my hubby
Old 01-31-2007, 07:28 PM

My DH is exactly the same. Luckily, he gets home from work pretty late- almost 8pm- so I've already give DDs dinner. Oldest DD still usually wants to sit and have a few bites of whatever Daddy is having on her own plate. A few months ago he decided to go on a health kick : But hey, I'm not complaining! BUT before that (sorry to ramble) I'd compromise- his sorts of meals sometimes, but ALWAYS w/a veg on the side, mine the rest of the time and he'd usually end up having a late snack if he didn't eat much of it. If it was "his" type of dinner, he can always take leftovers to work or have leftovers for lunch the next day. (Not ideal, I know...)
HTH a little
Old 01-31-2007, 11:54 PM

Honestly I make one meal that is healthy. I accomodate as much as possible but try to have variety for DS so he likes a lot of foods. If DH doesn't like it, we have some things in the house he can make for himself. Those things are not healthy really (like buffalo wings, pizza, sausage, hamburgers) but I refuse to cook a ton of stuff! Like I said I try to fix things he will like and do at least 2 or 3 times a week but not all the time because he is so picky!

Mama to (DS 7) and (DD 5), wife to DH

Old 02-01-2007, 11:53 AM

No answers here, but

I'm very lucky that dh eats almost everything I make (there have been a few notable exceptions....chicken livers and this "great" recipe for cream cheese chicken ROFL)
Old 02-05-2007, 11:02 PM

My husband will only eat raw carrots, corn, raw celery and nothing green or with any kind of texture. He'll eat rice and pasta but only white rice and pasta with only butter (no red sauce). I tried at first to plan my meals around his tastes but I don't want my toddlers to think this is a good way to eat. My husban loves fast food and I like to eat whole grain and fresh fruits and vegetables. We eat meatless most days. I had to let it go - if he's hungry he can make it himself!
Old 02-07-2007, 05:38 PM

My DH is pretty picky about some things. No onions, no eggs, no tomatoes, no fish are the big ones off the top of my head. I've gotten good at looking at a recipe and determining if he would like it or not. I usually try to accomodate his tastes at dinner, and then eat the stuff he doesn't like for lunch. I would flat-out refuse to make 2 dinners though. If I make something and he hates it, he is more than welcome to go raid the kitchen for something else - but I'm not cooking twice!

Me love.gif, DH guitar.gif, and DD baby.gif9/27/10!
Old 02-13-2007, 02:54 PM

Yes - picky DH here as well. He really prefers processed, convenience type foods over anything whole grain or actually healthy. I don't cook two meals either, but he is forever bringing home fast food or frozen pizza to eat instead of whatever I made for supper.

Mamma to three boys : We love :::
Old 02-13-2007, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycat View Post
Yes - picky DH here as well. He really prefers processed, convenience type foods over anything whole grain or actually healthy. I don't cook two meals either, but he is forever bringing home fast food or frozen pizza to eat instead of whatever I made for supper.
Oh that would make me so frustrated!

Old 02-13-2007, 11:33 PM

Before reading this I thought my DH was picky, but I guess he's pretty mild! I really feel for you ladies having to deal with that. (My father is extremely picky...will only eat "brand name" foods and will NOT eat leftovers. He'd starve at this house!)

I hope you figure out something that works for you all.

Catholic Homeschooling mama to DS (6), DD (4), twin DDs (2), DD (7 months), and someone new 7/31/10!
Old 02-13-2007, 11:44 PM

I never understood the not eating leftovers thing... why not? If it was good enough the first time why not the second time? I think I might start another thread for that.

Old 02-15-2007, 09:49 PM

I feel your pain! DH hates anything creamy (sour cream, cream cheese, mayo etc), dressing of any kind, tomatoes, onion, peppers, just about every other vegetable under the sun. Even smelling a hint of vinegar or vingarettes make him literally gag. He doesn't like anything gourmet or anything with a lot of different flavors together. He won't touch left overs with a 10 foot pole. No fish, no pork, only chicken breasts and beef. He drinks Coke like an addict and lives off of garbage like Totinos frozen pizzas and Kraft Mac and cheese. It's horrible. He was raised by a single father who fed him things like balogney (sp?) with ketchup and would force him to eat things he didn't like (he'd end up puking) so I shouldn't be too surprised. If he even suspects that I've tried to sneak something past him (which I am able to do with some success on occasion) he says he doesn't like it before he even tries. It drives me nuts but I refuse to cook him his own special dinner. I try to make as many meals as possible that we all like but many times he's S.O.L and has to make his own dinner. I'm a pretty adventurous eater so it really gets on my nerves. It's a good thing he's cute!
Old 02-20-2007, 09:15 PM

I came to this thread because my mother lives with us and she is picky. She is able to drive and get her own stuff, so we have basically come to the agreement that I fix what I fix (l LOVE to cook and often spend hours a day in the kitchen making gourmet meals) and if she doesn't like it, she can go out to a restaurant and get something.

Dh, thank goodness, will eat absolutely anything. He loves healthy, whole grains, every vegetable under the sun... from artichokes to okra to zucchini, any and every sauce, absolutely every ethnic cuisine... he grew up in Turkey and his mother (and sister) was an amazing cook that made all sorts of dishes. We're raising dd to eat the same way. I think it's important that kids get a taste of everything possible.
Old 02-28-2007, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycat View Post
That describes my dh exactly!!!

User Tag List