Need ideas for fast meals! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 02-02-2007, 05:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Between working, school, the 2 1/2 year old and the 3 month old, I have no time to cook but want to get dinner on the table for the three of us (dh, me, and dd1.) I'm not the best cook and not good with a million ingredients.

Any ideas on things that are quick to make with not too many ingredients? Cheap would be nice too!
#2 of 2 Old 02-02-2007, 12:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
a can of corn, a can of black beans, and can of pinto beans heated up (for a couple of minutes, just till warm) with some salsa makes a good bean borrito.

Anything you can put in a slow cooker without having pre-cook or chop is easy to make. We use our slow cooker ALL THE TIME. You just put everything in there in the morning and when you come home, it's ready. Like soup-- chicken with bones, (already cut up works fine but it's more expensive than just buying a whole chicken), frozen mixed veggies, water (8-10 cups of water makes a enough for us), Cook on low 8 hours +, take the bones out before eating, the meat should come right off the bone.

Another slow cooker idea: Honey Ginger Chicken, 6 chicken thighs, 2 tbl honey, 2 tbl soy sauce, 1 tsp ginger, 1/2 tsp chinese 5 spice, 1 onion (I buy frozen onion already cut up but it's cheaper to buy the onion and cut it up). Put onion on the bottom of slow cooker. Arrange chicken on top (I put them in without thawing first), mix other ingredients and pour over chicken, cook on low 8-9 hours. I made this the other day and only had to heat up some frozen mixed veggies and boil some little potatoes to go with it. Yum.

There's a whole slow cooker thread here somewhere full of recipes that are cheap (beans soups and things like that). It even talks about baking a chicken and potatoes in the slow cooker while you're at work or school! Oh, I found it:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=237665

Single mom of 2 boys

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page