Toddler Favorites - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 02-04-2007, 11:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi there,

I am trying to get into the habbit of cooking healthy for my children (ages 3 and 17 months). They are both pretty picky, so I was wondering if you would care to share your toddlers favorite meals. Both of my girls really like chili so I find myself making chili and brown rice one night a week. It is also a great way to give them extra veggies chopped up and mixed in. Also, I would greatly appreciate any suggestions for (sneaking in vegetables) - I like to throw chopped spinach or pureed carrots in red sauce to give the girls a little extra veggies. Overall though, I am looking for nutritious meals that might appeal to picky toddlers.
#2 of 7 Old 02-04-2007, 11:37 PM

Here are some ideas.
#3 of 7 Old 02-05-2007, 02:03 PM

I would add extra veggies to sloppy joes and love them on Pizza- chop it up smaller and they won't notice. We like Broccoli on ours- carrots are a bit too juicy.

Rachel, wife to Brian, mother of 5. Lover of birth.
Blog on profile.
#4 of 7 Old 02-05-2007, 02:21 PM

Not a specific recipe idea, but have you tried having your older toddler "help" make the meal? She is still a little young, but I think at about 18 months, I was already having DS help mix things and pour things with me. He'd eat just about anything if I made a big deal about how he cooked it! Right about that time, too, he started really responding to having a choice in what he ate, so if I held up 2 veggies, and he got to pick one, he'd usually eat it.
#5 of 7 Old 02-05-2007, 09:59 PM

One thing that's worked for us is to offer the veggies as a snack before meals - ie carrots and dip, edamame, peas - stuff like that. We always offer fruit with meals and if someone is hungry *right* before dinner (as I'm preparing it) or at bedtime, "grow foods" (our word for healthy stuff) is the only option - yogurt, cheese, nuts, etc. I offer our meals to them at dinner, just keep trying, even a bite is great!

Those are my ideas for getting the healthy foods into them. Our meals our healthy, but mine tend to pick. Although, both love soups, so I work a lot of good stuff in that way...

Mama to DS (8) and DD (7) Aristotle was not Belgian. The central message of Buddhism is not "Every man for himself." And the London Underground is not a political movement.

#6 of 7 Old 02-09-2007, 11:21 PM - Thread Starter

I ordered Pretend Soup - a book specifically geared to cooking with a toddler, it was on the list of suggestions with the link above. It has a written recipe for adults and a pictoral recipe for the kids. I will post about how well it works! Thanks for the ideas!
#7 of 7 Old 02-12-2007, 04:31 PM

I don't know if it works with girls or not (mine is too young) but with the boys renaming things something gross helps... like blackeyed peas = lizard eyes, steamed or sauteed greens (they'd only eat them raw as salad, but sometimes you have not so pretty leaves to do something with) = swamp muck, they also like to pretend black rice is coated in bug guts and so on. Maybe with girls fairy/mermaid etc type themes would do the same thing?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page