$80 for groceries and 2 week to plan for - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 40 Old 02-24-2008, 08:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm trying to get my grocery budget under control, too, so I don't have a grand idea to offer now, but here's a recipe that is yummy and cheap:

Cut corn tortillas into triangles, heat in just a bit of (canola) oil, add mixed eggs and scramble together. Top with salsa.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#32 of 40 Old 02-24-2008, 09:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Me View Post
When making meat loaf, you can actually reduce the amount of hamburger by about 1/3 without losing taste quality or protein. Simply replace with the same amount of red lentils cooked in beef broth, and mix into the loaf mixture. You can do this for burgers and meat balls too. The texture ends up the same too. So if you did that with 3 packages, you end up with the equivalent of 4 packages for just the extra cost of a few lentils

I love this suggestion! I'll have to try it this week!

addicted, homeschooling, freelancing mama to DS 8. Pet mama to Harvey the Wonder Mutt :, Pnut: and Autumn : Oh, yeah, and
#33 of 40 Old 02-27-2008, 11:37 AM

We like the Hillbilly Housewife recipes. : To us, that's how we grew up eating, so it seems comforting.

Now, I always use butter, I use real potatoes for mashing, and I often use regular milk (cause it's cheaper than powdered around here). But, if I'm out of milk, I have emergency powdered milk in the pantry. In cooking, we can't really tell the difference (we don't drink milk straight).
#34 of 40 Old 02-28-2008, 01:55 PM

I can't get the healthy and organic on $7/day thing to work. Also how many people are most of you feeding? Our food spending seems exorbitant compared to most of you! And I make almost everything from scratch (with the exception of rice cakes, rice crackers, rice cereal, and rice milk). I can't imagine feeding my family (4 big eaters) on $70/week; we buy almost all organic, preferably grass-fed, fresh, raw meat and dairy. And we're trying to rely less on grains and beans (the cheapest stuff) because of food sensitivities. Help. When I looked at the post that copied healthy and organic on $7/day, I can't imagine finding organic food as cheap as they describe. Where on earth would I find an organic fryer chicken for a dollar? What am I missing?
#35 of 40 Old 03-05-2008, 03:29 PM

QUOTE=harmonymama;10650478]I can't get the healthy and organic on $7/day thing to work. Also how many people are most of you feeding? Our food spending seems exorbitant compared to most of you! And I make almost everything from scratch (with the exception of rice cakes, rice crackers, rice cereal, and rice milk). I can't imagine feeding my family (4 big eaters) on $70/week; we buy almost all organic, preferably grass-fed, fresh, raw meat and dairy. And we're trying to rely less on grains and beans (the cheapest stuff) because of food sensitivities. Help. When I looked at the post that copied healthy and organic on $7/day, I can't imagine finding organic food as cheap as they describe. Where on earth would I find an organic fryer chicken for a dollar? What am I missing?[/QUOTE]

::

Molly, Mama, living in the burbs with a beehive and chicken coop,  herb student, gardener, crunchy and preggers with #3, due Nov 4th.flower.gif
The fruit of the spirit is: Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness,goodness, gentleness and self control.:
#36 of 40 Old 03-08-2008, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybabysmama View Post
I'm trying to get my grocery budget under control, too, so I don't have a grand idea to offer now, but here's a recipe that is yummy and cheap:

Cut corn tortillas into triangles, heat in just a bit of (canola) oil, add mixed eggs and scramble together. Top with salsa.
Oohh, that sounds yummy! Thank you, I think I will make that tomorrow for brunch, maybe with some homefries too.
#37 of 40 Old 03-09-2008, 12:40 AM

I finally got that link to work for eating healthy & organic on $7/day. I really like it. That is pretty much how we eat too (except for the rice milk, rice crackers, and rice cereal I need to cut out). I did get a few good ideas for breakfasts and snacks and how to stretch meat further. Anyone have some good budget crockpot ideas?
#38 of 40 Old 03-11-2008, 07:12 PM

Falafel is a great inexpensive meal. Make it healthier by baking it instead of frying. Sean's falafel and cucumber sauce recipe from allrecipes.com is the recipe I used. My DH is a big meat eater and not usually into trying new things and he loved it.

We also try to buy things that can be stretched. One head of cabbage can help make stuffed cabbage rolls (with brown rice); chicken egg rolls over brown fried rice; and a side of cole slaw for shredded bbq chicken on homemade rolls, of course the chicken gets split up as well....variety can be found within a few staples that are healthy, inexpesive and yummy!
#39 of 40 Old 03-12-2008, 02:20 PM

I finally just read that article on eating for $7 a day. It was especially helpful for me because I live in Boulder and shop at the exact stores they are referring to. I was surprised to see a few things in bulk cheaper at WFM than at Safeway.....interesting stuff. However I wish they talked a little more about feeding a family as that is challenging.

Molly, Mama, living in the burbs with a beehive and chicken coop,  herb student, gardener, crunchy and preggers with #3, due Nov 4th.flower.gif
The fruit of the spirit is: Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness,goodness, gentleness and self control.:
#40 of 40 Old 03-13-2008, 02:17 PM

Hi, one meal I just discovered that dh & I really liked is to take a can of S&W Chili Beans (.58 cents at our local Winco), slice up a couple of nitrate-free rocky dog chicken hot dogs ($2.49 for a pack of 6), saute them a bit with some chopped onions in olive oil, add the beans, heat through and serve over rice. It's a satisfying meal for a little over $1 a serving and it's really tasty. We have this one night a week which really cuts down on our weekly grocery budget.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page