bean recipes for someone who isn't fond of beans... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 03-01-2007, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am trying to stretch the $$'s, and read that beans provide high quality protein and are good to sub for meat. So..... I am looking for recipes for beans, keeping in mind that I don't really favor them... Chili I like, and got a recipe for veggi chilie... any other ideas? Hubby likes kidney, lima and baked beans(navy, I think?), but just can't stand them cold...
Oh, love my slowcooker, so those type of recipes are especially good!
Thanks so much!!
sweet
#2 of 9 Old 03-02-2007, 01:18 PM

Baked beans go over very well at our place and they're sooo easy to make.

1 lb dried navy beans
1 onion, chopped
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 Tbsp salt
pepper
1 tsp prepared mustard
1/4 cup molasses
1/2 cup ketchup

Soak the beans in water over night. In the morning, drain and rinse them and then cook them in fresh water (boiling for about 1/2 hr.). Drain and rinse again. Put them in the crock pot. Add the rest of the ingredients and add water to cover by about 1 inch. Cook on low for about 8 hours.
#3 of 9 Old 03-02-2007, 01:21 PM

Do you like curry? Kidney beans are good with curry sauce (I can give you a recipe if you want).
What about chickpeas - do you like those? Chickpea salad, falafils?
Black beans are good as a salad or mashed for burritos or the like.
#4 of 9 Old 03-02-2007, 02:14 PM

i make a casserole using polenta and black beans make the polenta(i believe some stores sell ready made polenta? yet to see it). Cook until thick(follow directions but add spices how you would like it...i add chili powder a little soy parmasean oregano whatever you like) then pour the polenta into a casserole dish, cool, even over night which is what i do!! That hardens it..Bake it for a little while to make it a little harder, crisper if wanted. Then rinse black beans, cut up veggies you want(peppers, mushrooms, onions, garlic canned corn is awsome) whatever you feel like. then mix together and top the polenta. then pour jar of salsa on top and bake until veg tender and heated through. Sounds like alot of work but really not...Make polenta whenever you have a free moment..cut up extra veg from the night b4 throw it together!!! SOOOO good!!! We make it really really spicy!! VERY CHEAP!!! a bag of polenta lasts a long time, a can of beans, veg that you already have, and a jar of cheapish salsa!!!

I also use a canned bean salad mix, leftover cold rice(make double the night before) cut up veggies and make a wasabi dressing which my df just LOVES!!

Then there is always just throw the beans in pasta sauce.

Hope these help!!

I also make alot of soups in my crockpot....I cut extra veg the night before then I throw it in the slow cooker with broth and beans. And spices!! EASY!!

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#5 of 9 Old 03-02-2007, 09:31 PM

Keep in mind that lentils are just as healthy, just as cheap, and taste really good too. So that may be an option.
#6 of 9 Old 03-05-2007, 07:03 PM

I'll look for some specific recipes but wanted to suggest mixing beans and meat. My dh is not really into beans or lentils but I often find that if I make recipes with 1/2 beans or lentils and 1/2 ground beef (or sausage or other meat) in recipes that call for meat he likes them. It doesn't stretch the $$ as far as going all beans would but it helps.

Mom to (5) (9)
#7 of 9 Old 03-06-2007, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by erin a View Post
Do you like curry? Kidney beans are good with curry sauce (I can give you a recipe if you want).
What about chickpeas - do you like those? Chickpea salad, falafils?
Black beans are good as a salad or mashed for burritos or the like.
actually, i do really like chickpeas... for some reason our family always has hummus on special occasions, as a dip for toasted pitas, but i never think to use it everyday...

as for curry, i really don't, but DH does...
#8 of 9 Old 03-07-2007, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomToKandE View Post
I'll look for some specific recipes but wanted to suggest mixing beans and meat. My dh is not really into beans or lentils but I often find that if I make recipes with 1/2 beans or lentils and 1/2 ground beef (or sausage or other meat) in recipes that call for meat he likes them. It doesn't stretch the $$ as far as going all beans would but it helps.
Yeah that. Even adding a little sausage will give the whole thing a sausage-y flavor.

Single mom of 2 boys
#9 of 9 Old 03-17-2007, 04:11 AM

:

Me my DH 4.5 year old DS and who just arrived on the scene 6/10 Excited to be blogging! Decluttering in 2010: 2010 / 2010

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page