passover meal planning :) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 03-07-2007, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
let's dish!

we do lots of yogurt, cottage cheese, cream cheese and jelly on matzah etc for lunches (ie just put out a dairy spread)

breakfast we always make matzah meal pancakes two mornings, matzah brei three mornings, and then catch as catch can a few mornings

dinner for me is easy - just a meat and a veggie

the kids - not so much... they are sooo picky.

I'm Andrea - I have three boys - 12 year old twins & an 11 year old

#2 of 15 Old 03-07-2007, 12:00 PM

I made a whole file on my computer with different options of what I can make. Part of my recipes are in my pesach section so that complicates things a bit.
#3 of 15 Old 03-07-2007, 03:31 PM

We're doing first days at my parents so I have some input this year (well, MIL asks me , and she definitely takes my ideas into consideration). I want there to be more green vegetables. I like the Sabra salads, tuna and egg and temptee cream cheese and jam and matza pizza just like anyone else, but I find that for those of us who eat gebrocts that we overlook the fresh veggies.

So, my plan is to somehow incorporate as much fresh vegetables as possible and get some good recipes for dressings.

Balsamic vinegar and honey will be a must for this year.

~~~Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul...you've got to run like a lamb queen out of control~~~
#4 of 15 Old 03-07-2007, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

this year I have started using a lot of canned tomato products in my cooking - diced, crushed, sauce, and paste. do I *need* to buy those kosher l'pesach? or is that just silly? I mean it's *just* tomatoes....

#5 of 15 Old 03-07-2007, 05:20 PM

You can call the major kashrus organizations as they will tell you what you do and don't need to have a symbol on. Because of the canning or processing of the tomatoes, you very well might need. It's worth asking!
#6 of 15 Old 03-07-2007, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

whoops that sould be in the other thread

#7 of 15 Old 03-15-2007, 08:44 AM

can I vent? I was told that my DM will be using boxed chicken soup this year in order to save time. She was going to buy other prepared foods but they were too expensive when she went to order. So DD found some boxes of Tabachnik chicken soup on sale. What about good old homemade? And, she's kashering by the Friday morning before pesach. Isn't this enough time to cook? And, they're not even having Fri night dinner at home, so theoretically she could cook on Friday all day.

~~~Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul...you've got to run like a lamb queen out of control~~~
#8 of 15 Old 03-24-2007, 08:02 PM

Very interesting, does anyone know of a web site that gives details on products to use during Passover? Does it have to be K for Passover?

Are you all making a meal planner?

TIA
#9 of 15 Old 03-27-2007, 07:00 PM

I always make several BIG pans of matzoh apple kugel (soooo good) and we eat it for breakfast, lunch, snacks, with dinner, etc. throughout the week. I never tire of it. Yum yum.

As an aside, I'm having a colonoscopy during Passover, and my first thought was, "Well, that's one less day I have to worry about what I'll be eating." Yeah me for finding the bright side
#10 of 15 Old 04-01-2007, 03:13 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I love Pesach.

DH and I went all out for it. I have four sets of dishes, and cleaning for Pesach is a joy! I used to make Passover Puffs and put in steamed veggies, chicken salad, tuna salad or custard during Passover. So much fun. My favorite was carrot tsimmes. So healthy and so good.

My favorite Cookbook for Passover is by Rodale Press, Jane Kinderlehrer's Cookiing Kosher Naturally; the forward is written by Dr. Robert Mendelsohn, who uses his space in the book to take Rabbis to task for allowing infant formula to be allowed kashrut, but that is another forum and another thread.

Dayenu!

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#11 of 15 Old 04-01-2007, 05:05 PM

anyone else out there? I havent cooked at all since we'll be away, but I'm looking forward to all the Pesach foods and having seders with my family.

Wishing everyone a Zissen (sweet) Pesach. May we all experience the feeling of going from slavery to freedom, and may all people in the world today be freed from bondage.

#12 of 15 Old 04-01-2007, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

what's everyone doing for dinner tonight? I'm at a loss and I don't want to go out because my youngest has a cold

#13 of 15 Old 04-01-2007, 06:39 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
We are eating up all of the bread and burning the rest, as we always do.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#14 of 15 Old 04-01-2007, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

can't have bread - my kitchen's already turned over so I could cook all day today. we'd go out but Jacob's still sleeping. I'm trying to call my husband to get him to leave work early if at all possible.

Ben had 3 slices of bologna (a feast for him LOL) and Max had eggs and applesauce.

I might just have a salad

#15 of 15 Old 04-01-2007, 09:53 PM

I love matzah meal pancakes! I hate that they take me forever to make. otherwise...tomorrow is hard because you can't have bread or matzah. If my daughter asks for crackers (she does often) I'll probably give HER matzah. But otherwise we'll probably have yogurt and bananas and applesauce. Then we'll be away for yuntiv. When we get back, we have some options that we bought (like frozen blintzes, passover pasta, etc). I always dread having nothing to eat but it usually turns out just fine!

Dara Mommy to Gabbie (4/05) , Zachary (6/07) , and Simon (8/10)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page