Pre-Passover Meal Planning - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-08-2007, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I'm not too worried about my Passover menu just yet, but I could use some help figuring out how to plan my meals for the next month! I have approxiomately $435 in Food Stamps to last me from now until after Pesach. I have no clue if my child support will actually come through this month(maybe he'll borrow money from his sister to pay me?), if my Disability case was approved and if so when I'll see any of that money- so I want to plan on using Food Stamps to cover all of my Pesach food, if possible.

Passover food tends to be expensive compared to its year-round counterparts- so I need to really cut back on my food spending right now to be able to afford the Passover stuff! Plus, I'd like to use up as much of what's in my house as possible, to empty out cabinets that can then be used for Pesach stuff plus have less chametz to sell.

Later today I'll do an exact tally of what's in my pantry and freezer.

I have plenty of beans and lentils in the pantry, plus some rice, barley, and quinoa. In the freezer I have a baggie of cooked kidney beans, assorted frozen veggies and fruits, and a roasted turkey drumstick. I have some assorted canned goods- a few tomato products, pinapple juice, pickles and olives, mandarin oranges and crushed pinapple, assorted crackers and tortilla chips, craisins, chocolate chips, flour and sugar, cornmeal, and two cans of coconut milk. I have onions, garlic, and potatoes on the counter. In the fridge I have tamari, toasted sesame oil, hot pepper sauce, lemon juice, milk, eggs, apples, carrots and some leftovers.

I can't just make beans and rice every night for a month, can I? Last night I made a creamy lentil soup (onions, garlic, carrots, potatoes, red lentils, water, tomato sauce, salt) The kids liked it but wanted something starchy with it and suggested we use it as a pasta sauce, so that's the plan for tonight's dinner.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#2 of 6 Old 03-08-2007, 05:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
these are few ideas off the top of my head:

-Barley Turkey Soup

-A curry with coconut milk and veggies over rice

-make a grits or polenta type thing with your cornmeal and serve topped with a chunky tomato sauce.

-when I'm serving a lot of bean soups, I often make biscuits or corn bread to serve on the side, which my kids always loved.

Blogging at http://chronicladybug.blogspot.com

#3 of 6 Old 03-08-2007, 10:32 PM

what about an egg bake/fritatta with eggs, milk, veggies.

Do you have oats (didn't list those). you could do a pineapple / craisin bake with oat crumb topping

refried beans with tortilla chips

can you make some veggie burgers from the beans and veggies?

~~~Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul...you've got to run like a lamb queen out of control~~~
#4 of 6 Old 03-09-2007, 05:00 PM

Beans & rice are not my forte, but you can use the cornmeal to make cornbread to go with the soup. My kids love it

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

#5 of 6 Old 03-09-2007, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Yeah, I made a cornbread last night to serve with leftover soup.

Veggie burgers are a good idea- I'll make those at least once next week.

Keep the ideas coming!

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#6 of 6 Old 03-11-2007, 06:34 PM

how about also

turkey / veggie soup with barley to thicken it up

just bean burgers (in addition to veggie burgers)

apple crisp/crumble

pancakes

~~~Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul...you've got to run like a lamb queen out of control~~~

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page