Mothering Forum banner

How do you eat local?

601 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Amys1st 
#1 ·
I want to eat more local/organic foods. I live in a small upstate NY town and the summer is not a problem. I am starting to think ahead about planting a garden and buying veggies to store up. Does anyone do this and how?
I figure I can store potatoes, squash, and beets. Can I grow my own beans and then dry them?
TIA!

#2 ·
I'm not an expert on this by any means, but I do enjoy eating locally. The food tastes better, and I like knowing where it came from.

Two easy things I do are can and freeze. I can tomatoes, jelly, nad applesauce mostly. I freeze lots of stuff--blueberries, peaches, squash, okra, tomatoes (we have lots of tomatoes in every form-LOL), and I'm probably forgetting some.

#4 ·
If you want to grow your own, I suggest talking to mamas in Diggin in the Earth. I usually join a thread about food growing.

OTH, join a CSA to get local grown veggies and fruits and sometimes even flowers. Also they can list where to get local dairy and meats as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.