In a rut. WOHM needs inspiration! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 03-27-2007, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello,

I work a full day, gone at 7am and home around 5:45pm. Two children, a one and a 4 yr old. DC and I are almost vegetarian, eat eggs and some dairy. We also eat wild salmon once a week. My DH is an omnivore and likes to have meat with every dinner. I have been trying to be organized and prepare one meal ahead of time, but I still seem to find myself spending all my time in the kitchen. We try not to eat prepared foods like veggie burgers and dogs for dinner. I am getting pretty frustrated about cooking whole foods- what I wouldnt give to just come home, throw something in the oven and forget about it! I only have an hour or so with the children before their bedtime and I find myself using it all in the kitchen...

I am lucky in that the DC will eat almost anything, all beans and grains and veggies. I just need a plan...

Please help!

Thanks,
Margie
#2 of 8 Old 03-27-2007, 12:34 PM

I have to warn you the thread I am going to post is a really long thread, but it contains a lot of crockpot recipes. Most of the recipes are not vegetarian, but I believe some are or could be adapted. Hopefully, this could help you get out of your rut.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=237665
#3 of 8 Old 03-27-2007, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by equinurse View Post
Hello,

I work a full day, gone at 7am and home around 5:45pm. Two children, a one and a 4 yr old. DC and I are almost vegetarian, eat eggs and some dairy. We also eat wild salmon once a week. My DH is an omnivore and likes to have meat with every dinner. I have been trying to be organized and prepare one meal ahead of time, but I still seem to find myself spending all my time in the kitchen. We try not to eat prepared foods like veggie burgers and dogs for dinner. I am getting pretty frustrated about cooking whole foods- what I wouldnt give to just come home, throw something in the oven and forget about it! I only have an hour or so with the children before their bedtime and I find myself using it all in the kitchen...

I am lucky in that the DC will eat almost anything, all beans and grains and veggies. I just need a plan...

Please help!

Thanks,
Margie
Margie, you and I share so much in common! I WOHM, I have a 5 year old and a 3 year old and we're almost vegetarians also. We recently cooked our first non-veg meal of organic ground beef. Unlike your kids, though, mine really won't touch beans .
I second the slow cooker idea, and also, make extra and freeze! Tonight we're having soup from the freezer with cucumber salad in ww tortillas because it's beautiful outside and i want the kids to have the chance to get their bikes out!
I feel for you!

4 kids under 10
#4 of 8 Old 03-27-2007, 06:46 PM

maybe if you can, start cooking several meals at a time and then freeze them so you can just throw them in the microwave when you get home - it will be the same meal you would make normally but pre-cooked for you to make it easier. i'm sure you've thought of that already but i thought i'd throw that out there!
#5 of 8 Old 03-27-2007, 06:49 PM

slow cookers are your friend! my kids who wouldnt touch beans with a ten foot pole will eat them when I hide them in the crockpot.

Good luck!
#6 of 8 Old 03-27-2007, 06:53 PM

My wee ones are the same ages. I don't WOH now, but I did and even now that I'm a SAHM finding time to cook is a pain. I hugely rely on my freezer. I make big batches of chili, soup, pesto, tomato sauce, breads, chicken dishes, pasta, spanikopeta, etc. and freeze freeze freeze. Many of these things can be made with or without meat to satisfy all (e.g. make tomato sauce plain and add cooked sausage or ground beef to DH's. I also love TJs organic IQF veggies and their organic brown rice pastas. Very easy to prepare. We often do pasta with assorted veggies and a simple olive oil/garlic "sauce" then throw on some cheese. Another idea is pasta with pesto, tomatoes (I use frozen from our CSA) olive oil & fresh mozarella. You can easily broil a couple sausages, chicken sausages, or a steak in a toaster oven for DH. We LOVE Al Fresco's all-natural chicken sausages and they come in tons of flavors.
#7 of 8 Old 03-27-2007, 07:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The editors of Cooks Illustrated have a book called The Quick Recipe. It's good. Also they have one called "Cover and Bake." Many of those recipes can be prepped ahead of time, and all you have to do it pop it in the oven.

I also agree w/pp's about feeding the freezer, perhaps over the weekends, or double up when you cook on a regular day, freeze half, and you instantly have a re-heat-able meal. I also meal plan six weeks at a time, which makes life SOOOOO much easier come five thirty. I never have to wonder about what to make...the decision's already made. I shop on the weekend for the week's fresh ingredients, and prep accordingly (I shop in bulk for staples). It makes our lives soooo much easier. Here's the link to the thread that talks about how I meal plan. My post is #4.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=464552

Hope that helps. For what it's worth, my kids are allergic to eggs, milk, soy, apples, chocolate, pears, strawberries. My husband is allergic to wheat, lettuce, almonds, sesame, rice, potatoes, and just about every veggie but asparagus. And he won't eat red meat or pork. Oh, and I'm allergic to fish, shellfish, and CHICKEN. With meal planning and freezer feeding, we don't have a repeat meal for six weeks. This doesn't mean that we each always have exactly the same version of whatever it is we're eating, BUT...We can do it...I bet you can, too!

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

#8 of 8 Old 03-27-2007, 07:24 PM

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page