Going U-Picking Organic Strawberries - Mothering Forums
Meal Planning > Going U-Picking Organic Strawberries
phatchristy's Avatar phatchristy 06:19 PM 03-30-2007
We're planning to go U-Pick tomorrow to a certified organic strawberry farm. Anyhow, I want to get a TON of strawberries. But...one obvious thing...what to do with them? LOL Obviously I want to eat quite a few raw, but afterwards what else....?

Anyone have any ideas?

My sister gave me a HUGE pressure canner/cooker several years ago and I've never used it. She used it one year and made everyone jam/preserves for Christmas. I am thinking about making some preserves. But, have NO CLUE what I am doing LOL. How about freezing, does that work well?

And, what is U-Pick etiquette? Are you allowed to EAT the berries while you're picking them?

littlecityfarmer's Avatar littlecityfarmer 06:39 PM 03-30-2007
Lucky! I won't be able to go berry picking until midsummer at the earliest!

Strawberries freeze beautifully, though... Hull them, line them up on a baking sheet, cover w/ a kitchen towel, stick in the freezer until solid, pop them off the sheet, then bag them up for storage-- they'll keep for ages! If you pick any bruised or less-than-perfect berries, puree them, freeze in ice cube trays, then store in freezer bags...

Lots of strawberry recipes, though... Look on Cooks.com or some such site!

-Katie

P.S. At our organic berry patch, berries eaten in the field are free, but they weigh you before and after picking if your face turns red from too much berry juice (kidding)... I think its fair to test a few, but not cool to gorge yourself...
Metta&Karuna's Avatar Metta&Karuna 09:58 PM 04-13-2007
Hi, my freezer is red. I don't have any new ideas, though. I got 28 qts, and it was a race to deal with them all before they went bad. I made smoothies to drink fresh and to freeze, froze them whole, and made a ton of jam (which is so yummy!). (There's a thread in this forum about fruit-sweetened homemade jam, and if I were to make more jam with berries, I'd see about using a kind of pectin that works for that.) I also brought some to our homeschool co-op to sell at $1/bowl to raise a little extra money for the co-op.

Good luck! Have fun!

And the place we went to encouraged you to eat as you pick. They have way too many, and they're just going bad out there. So basically it could do no harm, and the more you pick the more the plant makes, so they were saying it's actually good for them.
crunchy_mama's Avatar crunchy_mama 05:43 PM 04-14-2007
I haven't been yet, the organic farm is opening this year. I was just planning on freezing whole what I could and maybe some jam, but I don't have a recipe yet.
~*~MamaJava~*~'s Avatar ~*~MamaJava~*~ 07:16 PM 04-23-2007
Yep, make yummy low sugar jam, and freeze the rest, they go easily into smoothies, delicious with whipped cream, on top of waffles or pancakes.
Up