Going U-Picking Organic Strawberries - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-30-2007, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We're planning to go U-Pick tomorrow to a certified organic strawberry farm. Anyhow, I want to get a TON of strawberries. But...one obvious thing...what to do with them? LOL Obviously I want to eat quite a few raw, but afterwards what else....?

Anyone have any ideas?

My sister gave me a HUGE pressure canner/cooker several years ago and I've never used it. She used it one year and made everyone jam/preserves for Christmas. I am thinking about making some preserves. But, have NO CLUE what I am doing LOL. How about freezing, does that work well?

And, what is U-Pick etiquette? Are you allowed to EAT the berries while you're picking them?

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#2 of 5 Old 03-30-2007, 05:39 PM

Lucky! I won't be able to go berry picking until midsummer at the earliest!

Strawberries freeze beautifully, though... Hull them, line them up on a baking sheet, cover w/ a kitchen towel, stick in the freezer until solid, pop them off the sheet, then bag them up for storage-- they'll keep for ages! If you pick any bruised or less-than-perfect berries, puree them, freeze in ice cube trays, then store in freezer bags...

Lots of strawberry recipes, though... Look on Cooks.com or some such site!

-Katie

P.S. At our organic berry patch, berries eaten in the field are free, but they weigh you before and after picking if your face turns red from too much berry juice (kidding)... I think its fair to test a few, but not cool to gorge yourself...

Growing babies, fruits, veges, and chickens on our little urban homestead in the frozen north
#3 of 5 Old 04-13-2007, 08:58 PM

Hi, my freezer is red. I don't have any new ideas, though. I got 28 qts, and it was a race to deal with them all before they went bad. I made smoothies to drink fresh and to freeze, froze them whole, and made a ton of jam (which is so yummy!). (There's a thread in this forum about fruit-sweetened homemade jam, and if I were to make more jam with berries, I'd see about using a kind of pectin that works for that.) I also brought some to our homeschool co-op to sell at $1/bowl to raise a little extra money for the co-op.

Good luck! Have fun!

And the place we went to encouraged you to eat as you pick. They have way too many, and they're just going bad out there. So basically it could do no harm, and the more you pick the more the plant makes, so they were saying it's actually good for them.
#4 of 5 Old 04-14-2007, 04:43 PM

I haven't been yet, the organic farm is opening this year. I was just planning on freezing whole what I could and maybe some jam, but I don't have a recipe yet.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#5 of 5 Old 04-23-2007, 06:16 PM

Yep, make yummy low sugar jam, and freeze the rest, they go easily into smoothies, delicious with whipped cream, on top of waffles or pancakes.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page