Help me plan a few Passover meals! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 04-06-2007, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I have lots of food in my house right now, but I'm not sure the most tasty way to put it all together into delicious meals. I mostly need help figuring out my Shabbat (Sabbath) and Yom Tov (holiday- the last two days of Passover) meals. I'm not buying any more food until after Passover has ended.

On Passover, we don't use flour, but I have plenty of potato starch, matzah meal, and cake meal (very fine matzah meal, the consistency of flour.) Since we don't mix meat and milk in the same meal, and our dairy meals are fairly simple, I'm not going to list the dairy things I have in the house.

I made a turkey for the first night of Passover, and then I cut the meat off the bones, put the meat in the fridge, and made broth out of the turkey bones. I also bought boneless chicken breasts, which I breaded and then cooked in fat- basically chicken nuggets. They got a little overcooked/ dried out. I still have plenty left.

So, here's what I have to work with:

white potatoes
sweet potatoes
onions
garlic
ginger
carrots
eggs
leftover cooked turkey (both white and dark meat, in separate containers)
leftover cooked breaded chicken nuggets, slightly dried out
clear turkey broth
rendered poultry fat (chicken and turkey mixed together.)
olive oil
walnut oil
salt
pepper
sugar
honey

I may have missed a few pantry items, but primarily I'm looking to find ways to make meals with the leftover cooked meat.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#2 of 10 Old 04-06-2007, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How about shepherd's pie?

And what about tomato sauce? If you have that, you could do a low-rent chicken parmesan with the breaded chx...I bet it would help with the dryness.

DS born 4 May 2013.
#3 of 10 Old 04-06-2007, 02:17 PM

you could make a readlly good turkey stew with all that stuff. Hmm a passover version of chicken and dumplings with turkey and matzo balls instead?
#4 of 10 Old 04-06-2007, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorGirlfriend View Post

And what about tomato sauce? If you have that, you could do a low-rent chicken parmesan with the breaded chx...I bet it would help with the dryness.
Those were the exact same 2 things I was going to suggest! Mixing one leftover meat with carrots and onions in a thickened broth and topping with mashed potatoes, and mixing the chicken nuggets with a tomato sauce.

If the nuggets are fit enough for reheating you could toss sweet potato wedges in olive oil and broil, and serve them with the reheated nuggets. Serve the nuggets with straight honey or mix the honey with mustard for dipping sauce.

mommy to ds 11/05, dd1 01/08, and dd2 01/10!
#5 of 10 Old 04-06-2007, 02:25 PM

stew or a shepards pie were my main two ideas that came to mind right away.
#6 of 10 Old 04-06-2007, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorGirlfriend View Post

Yes, we do have tomato paste, but we'd have to skip the cheese with the chicken! That wouldn't be kosher whether it's Passover or not!

So I could heat up the chicken nuggets in tomato sauce and serve with some kind of potato?

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#7 of 10 Old 04-06-2007, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
Yes, we do have tomato paste, but we'd have to skip the cheese with the chicken! That wouldn't be kosher whether it's Passover or not!
Yeah, I know...that's why I said it was low-rent!

The chx with tomato sauce would be fine, I think. Pasta would be good, or garlic mashed potatoes.

DS born 4 May 2013.
#8 of 10 Old 04-06-2007, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

Well, we don't have pasta for Passover- and I'm not sure my kids will eat mashed potatoes with tomato sauce. Maybe I'll make some kind of gravy sauce for both instead, and mix some veggies in with the chicken and gravy to stretch the chicken a bit.

#9 of 10 Old 04-06-2007, 04:20 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
I'm having this problem right now! I'm at work and I bought some vegetables last night and I'm just thinking--how am I going to turn them into dinner and lunch! But I'm a vegetarian, which makes things both harder and easier. You're awfully low on vegetables and fruit! You can buy them now and use them after the holiday is over. Otherwise everyone is going to be a little constipated.

I would say, aside from that, that you can have turkey salad with homemade mayo for one of the lunches. (Good with walnuts and celery, if you have them.) You can make a tzimmes with the sweet potatoes, carrots, ginger (and even meat, some recipes include meat--see here among other places: http://www.jewishfood-list.com/recip...mes_index.html)

Or if your kids don't like tzimmes, roasted sweet and white potatoes using olive oil, salt and garlic are really good, and good with meat. Of course you can also make mashed sweet or white potatoes and use the schmaltz instead of butter or margarine. (You don't do margarine, right?)

If you are sick of knaidlach (somehow, which I can't imagine) you can make egg drop soup with the turkey broth, the ginger, the pepper and the eggs.

Divorced mom of one awesome boy born 2-3-2003.
#10 of 10 Old 04-06-2007, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

Nah, we're not THAT low on veggies- we've got plenty of romaine lettuce and tomatoes for salads- but I forgot to mention that in my OP. We also have apples, lemons, oranges, and grapefruits, which my kids like to just eat plain for snacks.

For tomorrow's lunch, I've got the leftover dark meat turkey (which includes the drumsticks and a wing, not sure why that was put in with the dark meat) in a huge pot with potatoes, sweet potatoes, celery, onions, garlic, ginger, tomato sauce, salt, and pepper. Oh, yeah, and water. It smells delicious!

Now I just need to make something for tonight. I'm still debating if I want to make soup tonight or save the broth for Yom Tov. Plus I'm using some broth to make the gravy.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page