ideas on when to cook? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 04-30-2007, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
so dh and i work from home and we share a job. i work from 9-1pm, he works from 1-5pm.

we take turns, he cooks for a week, then i cook for a week. We eat raw for breakfast and dinner, fruit and salad and smoothies, so no need to cook there.

i would like to make one cooked meal every day, to be ready around 1:30pm. I can work in the afternoon on the weeks that I cook.

Any tips on when i can cook? I used to make stuff that would take me 2 hours or so plus clean up before dd......now it's really hard to think about being with her and cooking....

how do you do it? i was thinking about prepping everything (chopping, washing) the night before after she goes to sleep.......any other tips?
#2 of 4 Old 04-30-2007, 03:03 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I tend to spend 1-2 days a week cooking the entire weeks meals (from scratch). Is that an option? I don't see how you wouldn't have time to cook every day with such a light schedule.

Seriously?
#3 of 4 Old 04-30-2007, 06:57 PM

Someone here on MDC (can't recall who) said she cooks dinner each night after the kids go to bed, and then reheats the next day. I've been meaning to give that a shot myself, if I can ever get these kids in bed early enough : Maybe that might work, at least occasionally?

Melissa, a homeschooling, caffix.gif-guzzling, SAHM of two: reading.gif (11) and joy.gif(8)
#4 of 4 Old 05-01-2007, 08:56 AM

I am not the night owl that most folks on MDC seem to be. When the baby goes to bed at 7, I veg out for the rest of the evening.... But, I am up with him about 5:30 or 6:00 in the morning. I'm also a SAHM, so my schedule is a little different.

I prep stuff early in the morning. At that time of day, ds is really happy to bounce in his johnny jump up or sit in his high chair with cheerios. I cut up anything that needs to be, brown meat, make casseroles, whatever needs to happen.

Then, around 3:30, I start thinking about supper. We eat at 5:30, so that we eat together before the baby goes to bed. I do find that I have to give myself a lot longer to put supper together than before a baby--I didn't used to get interrupted to nurse, to change a diaper, to encourage playing with a different toy...you know. So, for a meal that used to take 30 minutes, I give myself an hour. That way, with the interruptions, it's no big deal.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page